The Purge
When and when not to watch - Printable Version

+- The Purge (https://thepurge.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Public (https://thepurge.net/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://thepurge.net/forum/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: When and when not to watch (/thread-7344.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: When and when not to watch - Ulfen - 10-02-2009

Diggles Wrote:No Southpark, Family Guy, Robot Chicken or Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

Bad, okay, funny, terrible.

Re: When and when not to watch - Diggles - 10-03-2009

Ulfen Wrote:
Diggles Wrote:No Southpark, Family Guy, Robot Chicken or Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

Bad, okay, funny, terrible.

South Park the Movie remains the funniest movie ever made. The series has its ups and downs and is as relevant to current events as the Daily Show is for a talk show. If you dont like it, then you obviously havent seen half of the classics.

ATHF is an aquired taste.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=291Fo8Iwpdc&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=291Fo8Iw ... re=related</a><!-- m -->

Re: When and when not to watch - Jakensama - 10-03-2009

Sealab (prior to the death of Harry Goz) was the funniest of Adult Swim's offerings. Far better than ATHF.

Family guy, while funny at times, was lampooned pretty spot on by South Park.

Re: When and when not to watch - Fretty - 10-03-2009

Mid way through South Park lifetime to date, I stopped watching it for one reason or another. I guess I just got bored...maybe? But then I'd hear stories of some of their episodes from friends who still watched it, and I realized I was missing a great show. Maybe it had a few in a row of bad episodes and maybe I gave up too quickly, but the next season when I started watching it again, I was sure happy I did. It's an excellent show, well written and very clever. It, like any other show, will have bad episodes here and there, but aside from those, I love the rest.

I can however understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but those who like South Park, LOVE South Park.

Re: When and when not to watch - Ulfen - 10-03-2009

Jakensama Wrote:Sealab (prior to the death of Harry Goz) was the funniest of Adult Swim's offerings. Far better than ATHF.

I agree.

Re: When and when not to watch - Diggles - 10-03-2009

Fretty Wrote:Mid way through South Park lifetime to date, I stopped watching it for one reason or another. I guess I just got bored...maybe? But then I'd hear stories of some of their episodes from friends who still watched it, and I realized I was missing a great show. Maybe it had a few in a row of bad episodes and maybe I gave up too quickly, but the next season when I started watching it again, I was sure happy I did. It's an excellent show, well written and very clever. It, like any other show, will have bad episodes here and there, but aside from those, I love the rest.

I can however understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but those who like South Park, LOVE South Park.

Like the World of Warcraft episode they won an Emmy for.
Like the 'come out of the closet Tom Cruise' episode they got sued for
Like the Kayne West 'Ya I like fishdicks' episode they got sued for..
etc

Re: When and when not to watch - Fretty - 10-03-2009

And what about the hockey one that immitaded The Mighty Ducks where the little kid at the end died? That was excellent.
The pirates one was great too.
Cartoon Wars was excellent.
I'll stop now. =P

Re: When and when not to watch - Vanraw - 10-05-2009

I agree with most of Vllads list. Add Dexter, I just finished watching season 1 and 2 on Netflix. Extremely well done.

Doll House is turning out to be good I think. But you really have to get through the first 5 shows. I like Weldon as well but it seems like some of his shows need to build up such Buffy and Angle (with the exception of Firefly which was great from the first epsode). Doll House Season one ended with me wanting more.

FYI I was surprised that I liked Buffy / Angle. Ended up buying the DVD's on Ebay for like 10% of the orignal cost. Enjoyed them all once I got through the first season of Buffy.

B5 is great. Possible one of the best Scifi TV shows ever, though BSG had a good run at it.

Finally, You guys are all gonna laugh at this one.... I shouldn't even put it here.... I ended up watching and buying all the seasons of.... Oh I cant say it, out of fear of being completely ridiculed.

Re: When and when not to watch - Fretty - 10-05-2009

Vanraw Wrote:Finally, You guys are all gonna laugh at this one.... I shouldn't even put it here.... I ended up watching and buying all the seasons of.... Oh I cant say it, out of fear of being completely ridiculed.

Now I must know!!!
Soap opera??? =P

I like certain other shows too, like Desperate Housewives and such...I'll admit it.

Re: When and when not to watch - Vllad - 10-05-2009

Vanraw Wrote:Finally, You guys are all gonna laugh at this one.... I shouldn't even put it here.... I ended up watching and buying all the seasons of.... Oh I cant say it, out of fear of being completely ridiculed.

If you weren't so old I would say Gillmore Girls. The dialog is to fast for old folks like you. My next guess would be Army Wives?

Vllad

Vllad Wrote:

If you weren't so old I would say Gillmore Girls. The dialog is to fast for old folks like you. My next guess would be Army Wives?

Vllad

lol give the man a quarter. Gillmore Girls it is. My daughter got me hooked.

Re: When and when not to watch - Vllad - 10-05-2009

Vanraw Wrote:
Vllad Wrote:

Vllad

lol give the man a quarter. Gillmore Girls it is. My daughter got me hooked.

Do I know you or what.

I still can't imagine you being able to follow the dialog.

Vllad

Hey I can follow. Its really the only reason I liked it. Course you have look up some of the references...

We should add West Wing to the list as well.

Re: When and when not to watch - Ulfen - 10-06-2009

Vanraw Wrote:I agree with most of Vllads list. Add Dexter, I just finished watching season 1 and 2 on Netflix. Extremely well done.

Netflix recommended Dexter to me because I liked Carnivale. I watched the first 5 episodes of Dexter and found it a bit boring. Should I push on, or is that a sufficient sample size?

Re: When and when not to watch - Vllad - 10-06-2009

Ulfen Wrote:
Vanraw Wrote:I agree with most of Vllads list. Add Dexter, I just finished watching season 1 and 2 on Netflix. Extremely well done.

Netflix recommended Dexter to me because I liked Carnivale. I watched the first 5 episodes of Dexter and found it a bit boring. Should I push on, or is that a sufficient sample size?

The first season is the best. From there it is prety much all the same. To sum up Dexter, it is a show about an interesting serial killer and how often he almost gets caught. There really isn't much more to it then that.

Re: When and when not to watch - Hoofhurr - 10-06-2009

I'm not sure which thought gave me the worst chills, the fact that Maull watched this show in its entirety or the fact that Vllad knew exactly what it was that you had watched with so little information presented. I have no idea what the Gillmore Girls is or is about.

Re: When and when not to watch - Vanraw - 10-07-2009

Hoofhurr Wrote:I'm not sure which thought gave me the worst chills, the fact that Maull watched this show in its entirety or the fact that Vllad knew exactly what it was that you had watched with so little information presented. I have no idea what the Gillmore Girls is or is about.

Your almost hooked.

Re: When and when not to watch - Vanraw - 10-07-2009

Vllad Wrote:
Ulfen Wrote:

The first season is the best. From there it is prety much all the same. To sum up Dexter, it is a show about an interesting serial killer and how often he almost gets caught. There really isn't much more to it then that.

I Thought Dexter had a lot of good background story. Grant it, its really just a cop show with a twist, I have been entertained enough to go get season 3.

Re: When and when not to watch - Jakensama - 10-07-2009

I would let Lila have sex with me.

Re: When and when not to watch - Fretty - 10-07-2009

You'd let her?
What a gentleman. =P

Re: When and when not to watch - grizzle - 10-08-2009

Yup, Family Guy does rock. Monk, Psych, and House are two current shows that I can watch back to back. Some older ones are MASH and Cheers.

I watched Six Feet Under and Band of Brothers for the first time on DVD during marathons, and really enjoyed them.

Dark Shadows (the old gothic soap opera from the 60's-70s) is something I've been slowly making my way through. Most of the time it is fine back to back, there are a couple characters that are annoying, and force me to take breaks.

Re: When and when not to watch - Vanraw - 10-11-2009

Yea Band of Brothers was a good purchase. Its one of those that I can pick up and watch multiple times and be entertained.

Re: When and when not to watch - Hoofhurr - 10-12-2009

Agreed on Band of Brothers. Quality show with little or no women to gawk at so you know it's quality.

Re: When and when not to watch - Grieve - 10-14-2009

My wife has gotten me into Castle, which is actually pretty good - stars Mal from Firefly and an extremely hot girl. Very funny, nice chemistry.

Otherwise it's a litany of chick shows - perils of being married. Desperate Housewifes, Grey's Anatomy, Jon and Kate plus Hate, What Not To Wear...she's even trying to lure me into General Hospital, but my resolve is firm. Flash Forward and Entourage thrown in the mix too.

Then when she's gone to bed I catch up with True Blood, Chuck, and BSG (and soon the new version of V, if it's any good).

Re: When and when not to watch - Vanraw - 10-15-2009

Grieve Wrote:My wife has gotten me into Castle, which is actually pretty good - stars Mal from Firefly and an extremely hot girl. Very funny, nice chemistry.

Otherwise it's a litany of chick shows - perils of being married. Desperate Housewifes, Grey's Anatomy, Jon and Kate plus Hate, What Not To Wear...she's even trying to lure me into General Hospital, but my resolve is firm. Flash Forward and Entourage thrown in the mix too.

Your not suppose to admit this stuff out loud man....