Wolverine Origins
No Spoiler, just a my personal critic review from last night. Copy and Pasted from my post on Canadian gaming community forum I chat on.

I saw this last night as well. About 2/3rds thru the movie I leaned over and told my gf "I know how you felt watching Two Towers". A movie which she enjoyed overall, but butchered some of her favourite chars so badly she almost wanted to walk out of the movie. That is how I felt watching this flick. It started off right on the mark and true to the characters. A little over half way through they ruin some of the greatest comic book legends of all time and tie on an ending that made me want to throw my hands up and put my head down in disgust.

If you are not a follower of the comics or the original origins of these chars, it will be a good movie for you. If you have your heart set on getting to see certain classic characters finally on the big screen, be prepared to be disappointed. I haven't been this disappointed in a movie since Star Wars Episode 1. Though Episode 1 was a bigger let down.

A few friends I saw it with though really enjoyed it. They said the pace was good and was very entertaining to watch. But none of them have any prior background with the comic book chars aside from the first 3 Xmen and other marvel movies.

Heads up for those planning to see this movie. Stay through the credits. As Canadians you will happy you did. Even if it makes purest like myself shake their head.

PS: Just learned there is an alternate after credit scene that my friends in the States saw. It would have at least kept the original time line more accurate and brought back a little credit for one of my fav. comic chars. But I am sure most Canadians will prefer the one shown in theaters here.
Game Tags
Skaag/Iceheart
Skaag51, Xbox Live
Skaag555, Steam ID
This usually seems to be the case with comic book movies. Everyone familiar with the comics has complaints about the movie but I always think the movie is great. :-p

Haven't seen this one yet.
I thought the CGI and acting were pretty awful as well.
For the record, I really enjoyed the 3 Xmen movies, Iron Man, Spawn, and several other comic adaptations. They may have to do some tweeking here and there, but the general characters and plots are true enough to their origins that minor alterations are worth it. Throw in some good acting and classic comic book moments and you have a solid movie experience.

However, a movie with "origin" in its title is the one I felt falls further from the classic comic background and characters than any of the others.

Semi Spoiler....

Gambit is about as French as a french fry.
Game Tags
Skaag/Iceheart
Skaag51, Xbox Live
Skaag555, Steam ID
Isn't Gambit louisianan cajun?
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
That is correct, but he was known for having a heavy accent and using French words in his sentences. The only French or Cajun connection with the char in the movie is where they find him. Plus his name, but that is a given.
Game Tags
Skaag/Iceheart
Skaag51, Xbox Live
Skaag555, Steam ID
I was afraid of this...

Funny thing was I was listening to NPR and they even ripped it a new one since it went off of the original comic story and added some sterotypical action movie fluff not based on anything.

I find it interesting how a lot of movies now-a-days are reproducing old stuff (mostly from my childhood), try a personal twist from the original story lines to make a buck. It actually makes me a bit irritated... All of those things I liked as a kid are slowly being butchered on the big screens now... Comics (Xmen, Punisher, etc), Star Wars (although I'm kindof liking the cartoon networks shows), Transformers, and soon we'll have yet another... GI Joe.

Originality is dead it seems.
The cgi was horrendous, and yes they really did Gambit horribly. "hey lets just put a cutie pie in there and people won't notice he can't fake a cajun accent or act."
Observe Adapt Overcome

Plooot - lvl 80 Thief
Ill Tempered Rabbit -lvl 41 Hammer Guardian
Illusionary Doolist - lvl 10 irritating Mesmer
Dharus Tyranus Wrote:All of those things I liked as a kid are slowly being butchered on the big screens now...

What's really terrifying is thinking about the nostalgic movies down the line. Telitubbies, Bob the Builder, Dora the explorer, Sponge Bob.
[Image: epicuo4.jpg]
SC2 Beta - Zerg
Gnarnok - White Lion - R40/RR54 - Retired
Gnarnok - 70 Gladiator Rogue - Retired
GI Joe was pretty corny to begin with so I'm sure they'll kill it.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
No GI Joe movie should be made without a large snake repeatedly saying "I was once a man"
Hoofhurr Wrote:GI Joe was pretty corny to begin with so I'm sure they'll kill it.
GI Joe is one memory we'll be happy to see butchered. Any damage they do can only possibly improve it.
You take that back, GI Joe taught me important lessons in life, such as if anyone blows up your vehicle you will always be able to leap out to safety, regardless of your current speed/elevation.
At least there were cool equipment in GI Joe, stuff blew up, the Baroness, Duke was always going into a coma, and themes of world domination. I can't think of new cartoon close to it. Star Wars clone wars maybe...

If you rewatch half of those shows, you'll see all of them were super cheesy and in fact very funny. But I'd take them over most of the ball throwing pokemon, dramatic card playing, or domesticated fart joke cartoons out now.
G.I. Joe was great as a kid. Looking back though I realize they were just the "Village People" of special forces. A sailor, Indian Chief, ninja...

But it will always be a fond childhood memory that judging by the previews is about to get turned into a POS movie.

Dharus, I agree with you on the animated Star Wars show. The fighting, slightly more "adult" themes, and dialogue are far superior to those in the Episodes 1-3. Though once you get past the poor acting and script of 2 & 3, the internal struggle of Anakin is actually a very good story. But this animated series is very entertaining. Of course it still has its kiddy moments, but overall they are well done for even older fans to enjoy. They are more like reading the later novel series than anything else before.

Trying not to watch too many on TV though. They are too short and each episode seems to take place right after the other. So I am looking forward to watching them back to back on DVD or download. From what I have seen though, it is no wonder the clones get pissed off about being cheap cannon fodder and later help rebuild the Mandalorian Empire.

Back on Topic... curious what others who have seen Wolverine think. So much I want to rant about but trying not to spoil too much for those planning to still see it.
Game Tags
Skaag/Iceheart
Skaag51, Xbox Live
Skaag555, Steam ID
I enjoyed it. I wouldn't call myself a huge comic book fan or a huge novel to movie adaptation purist though. I just enjoy seeing entertaining movies and I'm pretty easily entertained.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
I saw it. I enjoyed it for it's entertainment value. I'm not 100% up on the background of all the characters but I could tell it wasn't quite in tune from what I remembered.

I am curious as to what the 2 after credit parts were though. I'd say the one I saw was but don't want to ruin it.

Oh...I do get a kick out of your Canadian comments Skaag hehe Tongue
ESO - Rallick of Purge (Sorceror) - The Purge (and various others)
RIFT - Rallock (Cleric) - Virus (Deepwood)
WAR - Rallick (ArchMage) - The Purge
WoW - Rallick/Mootendo - The Purge
EQ - Nintelten <Defiant>
I saw the german language version in the theater last night, which actually i liked better than the torrented version - the awful dialogue was much less obviously terrible in my 2nd language.
I liked it alot, cept for the non cajun guy doing Gambit

Coulda grabbed any cajun off the street and gotten a better performance. ANd since when does Gambit fly? His power is potential energy into kinetic...which would mean he'd have to rocket jump (and go thru alot of pairs of shoes)..only hes not tough like wolverine/blob/juggernaut
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Not enough CGi penis for ya,Diggs?
Waeloga-"Flab is my idol"
Well...since both Skaag and myself saw 2 different endings after the credits we can say it's per theater and not per country.
ESO - Rallick of Purge (Sorceror) - The Purge (and various others)
RIFT - Rallock (Cleric) - Virus (Deepwood)
WAR - Rallick (ArchMage) - The Purge
WoW - Rallick/Mootendo - The Purge
EQ - Nintelten <Defiant>
Rallick Wrote:Well...since both Skaag and myself saw 2 different endings after the credits we can say it's per theater and not per country.

Yeah. Seems to be just randomly selected per theater or local area.
Game Tags
Skaag/Iceheart
Skaag51, Xbox Live
Skaag555, Steam ID
I just watched the final scene.

Hilarious!

Canadian version that is.
Zens: 40 Witch-Hunter
Zenzie: 40 KofBS
As soon as I saw Marlon Wayans in the trailer for G.I. Joe I knew it would be a heaping pile of dung. Oh and that it's directed by the guy who did the Mummy. That certainly doesnt help.

I probably won't go see Wolverine for fear of shattering my childhood happiness. It's bad enough in the movies the dude is over SIX FEET TALL.