Poll: Do you still watch broadcast TV?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes -- I have cable or satellite and plan to keep it
44.00%
11 44.00%
Yes -- I have cable or satellite and am seriously thinking of canceling it
8.00%
2 8.00%
Sort of -- I have an antenna but canceled cable/satellite
8.00%
2 8.00%
No -- I just use internet streaming services
36.00%
9 36.00%
No -- I don't watch any sort of shows, streaming or broadcast
4.00%
1 4.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Zero TV
Slamz Wrote:Still, out of 15 people who watch TV at all, 7 have canceled or are seriously considering canceling cable.

Five years ago I think it would have been more like 0-1 canceled and everyone else having cable with no intention of dropping it.

Gonna be interesting to see where this goes....whether cable companies will find a way to fight it or a way to embrace it.

As someone who works for the cable company:

We go as the baby boomers go. They are still old school, don't like change and are used to paying big cable bills for decades now. I think our industry peters along fine for the next 15 years, but at some point we turn over from a "programming packaging" company to a bandwidth company. Pricing will be done by the size pipe you want.

But keep in mind, cable is all about what content is provided and the giant programming groups still see cable as their meal ticket and financial windfall. It is the only model that works to keep both companies in the money. Programmers are able to milk cable companies (and their customers) by dangling the one or two channels people actually watch, but require you to carry all their shit channels no one cares about so that they can make extra profit. Even HBO has come and defended why they don't separate themselves from cable....it's simply too good a deal for them.

I think if anything the past 5 years or so have shown that people still crave content and want programming options. Cable can still work that angle to their advantage.

Messages In This Thread