Netflix & Comcast Reach Deal on Service
Yeah, sounds like extortion. Hurt Netflix's throughput, make them pony up some cash to get back to where they were. But, "whaddya gonna do". I'd bet most of these Comcast customers have no choice in internet providers. They can complain but Comcast can just tell em to fuck off. Same reason Comcast customer service centers are as bad as the Department of Motor Vehicles. They have no incentive to give anyone good service because they know their customers' only choice is them or learn to like not having an internet connection.

I dunno that Netflix will raise prices again, after the last fiasco (although I hope they do because that was ultimately an awesome stock buy and I'd likely bet on them again). What it'll probably hurt is their ability to bring in new programming. Money that could have gone to streaming rights for more shows will instead go to ISPs to carry the content.

This is probably how Comcast is expecting to make money back from all the people canceling cable. Well over 50% of the people I know have canceled cable (I actually think it's around 80% of the people I know. Almost everyone at the office has canceled it and just gone to online options.)

Messages In This Thread