Euro Board Games (Dophuz Help me)
Oh and how could I forget. probably the best gaming experience ever:

A couple of my friends developed a game I played over the span of two years that we called Kingdom. There was about 10 people playing. It was a combination of D&D and boardgame warfare. We had a gigantic map that took up half of my friend's basement, and was all hand drawn by us with hexes on oaktag. Each of us was a King/Leader of a Kingdom, I was King of the Ogres, another was King of the Dwarves...a Chaos Lord, a powerful mage with a tower and undead armies, Wood Elves, Humans led by a Paladin, the works. We used D&D for our Kings, we started with our characters being max level in class or mix, I started as a Warrior and after an audience with the Ogre god, became a cleric too.

We had a kingdom with armies. Armies couldnt be expanded unless our empire expanded. We had a table for dice rolls in combat. Each troop had a base attack value and then a base magic value. (Like I had Orge warrior troops with a 5 value, and then some Ogre Magi troops with a 4 +2M value). There were value points on the map, like gold mines or whatever that gave bonus gold to build up more troops or defenses, etc.

It was just an amazing time we had. It was at its base level a war strategy game, but there was also a roleplaying component that would always have a massive effect on the game as well. The only negative is the time component, the Game Master spent way too much time dealing with each player on a one by one basis because of the roleplay component so a lot of time was spent waiting for them to stop talking.

But the strategy component was just amazing and so realistic. It was very difficult to expand your empire, because any movement you made would have major repurcussions. I remember moving in to take over an NPC kingdom of Mounatin Dwarves for their gold mine and the player who was leader of the main Dwarven Kingdom told me if I moved on him he'd send a fleet down to deal with me, and we was way more powerful than me. So I went to the evil mage player and he offered some of his undead armies in return for half the gold profits from the mine. Just neat stuff like that that no board game could duplicate.

I know the creator of it always tried to turn it into a marketable game, but was never the motivated type to pull it off. The map is always a big issue. I mean it was literally 12 feet by 8 feet. Maybe in today's day in age they could make the map a PC based component.

Messages In This Thread