This made my day.
Set the background...

At the time our youngest daughter was being born I was in between Healthcare providers. I worked out a COBRA deal with my previous provider, because we had already paid all of the deductibles for the birth, that would cover us and Maggie up until the day she was born. The new coverage would take effect once we brought Maggie home.

The day after Maggie was born a blood test came back with an unknown bacteria. The hospital required Maggie stay an additional 3 days while they performed more tests and administered treatment. Three days later after many blood test, all negative, the doctors said it was most likely a contamination but since they could not identify it they had to take precaution and keep Maggie the addtional three days. Little annoyed but we considered it over and done with...until...

12 months later we get a bill from the hospital for over $3000 for the time Maggie had to stay there. I call up the hospital and talk to a lady that tells me my previous coverage refused to make the payment because it was for time spent after the coverage had expired. I said well of course this was suppose to be submitted to my new coverage starting the day after the delivery. She stated that they tried submitting this to my new coverage but they said it was too old of a claim to process. I asked why would they say it's too old? The lady informed me that the first time they attempted to process the claim with my new coverage was just last week. Almost a full year after Maggie was born! At this point I was pissed so I hung up the phone.

Couple days later the hospital sends us a bill in the mail that my wife and I identify as the first of a payment plan to settle the debt with the hostpital. The payment is just under $300. So we write a check and send it off. We receive a letter thanking us for our payment and confirmation that the debt is settled. At first we didn't think anything of it and awaited the next months bill...it never came.

Fast forward to today...

My wife is going through old mail and finds a letter from the hospital. The letter is a settlement letter pertaining to our debt with the hospital for the time Maggie stayed there. It's offering a one time settlement payment of just under $300 dollars.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.

Messages In This Thread