Poll: How many pages are ok for a resume
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1 and 1 only: summarize
16.67%
2 16.67%
2 gotta fit important stuff
83.33%
10 83.33%
3 or more, whatever it takes
0%
0 0%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

IT guys, resume length
Trotts has it nailed.

2 pages is realistic for the information that would normally go onto a resume. Fit what you need to, but don't just fill space because you "can"; no one in IT cares if you flipped burgers at the local Burger King (also, that would mean that you had nothing more relevant to fill that space in, instead of having so much more great stuff that you only stuck with the "best").

Any hiring process I took part in generally gave the most attention to those with two pages, as it wasn't too much info to take in, but it also wasn't missing so much that the interviewer had no direction and no information to lead to questions about the interviewee.

My experience:
When I was getting into the IT field, I first kept my resume to 1 page as well, figuring that was the best choice. I rarely got responses to my resumes, and any interviews that I did attend were so short and general that I knew I wouldn't get the job (and I was right).

Then I flipped to having two pages and I suddenly got a much larger response, ten-fold. The interviews would be filled with much more specific questions about me and my work/education experience (since I gave them something to go on in my resume now that I had room). This gave us a lot more to talk about and get to know eachother, allowing for invterviews to gain that level of comfort that before you know it, you're joking around with your "soon to be boss".
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.

Messages In This Thread