Semi-auto shotties
Anyone have one they would recommend for home defense? I'm interested in a 18-18.5" home defense w/pistol grip and some sort of way to mount flashlight.

I'm leaning toward either something from Remmington or Mossberg. I know the pump models pretty well but not really seen much press/videos about semi-auto versions. I only ever see Benelli when semi-autos are mentioned.

A co-worker (huge time shooter & ex-Army) said that for home defense that a 20 gauge is going to be a lethal as a 12. So it would have less recoil plus able to hold more rounds, right? I hadnt considered that. Plus I guess if you have a semi auto that can fire pretty fast with lower recoil you can just pepper someone pretty good so first shot doesnt have to be as lethal.

How does 20 gauge ammo cost compare to 12? I was sorta leaning to a 12 because the available of everything would be beter/more popular.

Any reason to get a 18.5 barrel if I dont think the ATF is going to be fucking with me measuring my barrel to be legal?

I know you can shoot pumps fairly fast with practice, but it seems like if the semi-autos are super reliable these days why bother with pump? Plus it would be easier to shoot with weak hand or if you were incapacitated in any fashion. Someone pointed out that if you dont keep a shell chambered that the pull back would simulate racking sound as well. Either way anyone who is in my home is lucky if they get a warning (by way of racking sound)

I have my family heirloom Remmington Wingmaster 870 pump 27" that I am probably going to use to trade for something in semi-auto. I know the Wingmasters were the 'Cadillac' of the 870 models and this gun is in tip-top shape. Any estimates on what I could fetch for it? Its probably shot less than 1k rounds in its life and made in 60's or 70's.
[should not have shot the dolphin]

Messages In This Thread