Skill Based System.
I would do something like the following for a skill based system.
I would still have some form of leveling (in order to attain points) but the following is based upon a max level player.

I would have PC's be able to use any kind of weopon, armor, spell or unique ability that is available to them. The difference would be in proficiency of the said skill. In other words anyone can swing a sword or put on a piece of plate with out any training. Hell we aren't monkies for christ sakes. However I would have skills that increase the use of said equipment.

Access to the skills would be in two teirs. For example I would break them down into types and tiers. I would have basic trainers around the world where you go to pick up Tier 1 proficiency skills. However for Tier 2 skills I would have evolve more around quest, factions etc. You would have to fullfill a prereq requirement to gain tier 2 skills. In this way as long as you followed the prereq you just layer and stack the skills.

Let me go through a list of examples of Basic, Weopon, Armor and Magic skills layers to show my point.

Basic Skills

So lets say Vllad1 at max level had 150 points.

Vllad1 has access to the following "Basic Skills" set:

Dodge
Regeneration
Constitution
Stamina

Each tiered skill would have 5 levels of skill. It cost an equal amount of points for each level in skill. For example if you took "Dodge" level 1 it would cost 1 point. level 2=2 points, level 3= 3 points etc. To buy all 5 levels in a skill would cost 15 points.

If I were to spend my first 15 points into Dodge it would do the following:

level 1= +1% chance to dodge, level 2= +2% chance to dodge, level 3= +4% chance to dodge, level 4= +8% chance to dodge, level 5= +16% chance to dodge.

If I completed some quest and/or had the right faction with certain groups I might get access to Tier 2 Basic Skills. Lets say for example that I had access to other special Basic Skills sets that had a prereq of level 5 Dodge requirements. This would then open up the following skills.

Acrobatics
Nimble
Ninja Education

Since I intend to wear heavy armors I decide to put 15 points into "Nimble"

level 1= -5% to hit penalty wearing cloth, level 2= -5% to hit penalty wearing skins, level 3= -5% to hit penalty wearing studded, level 4= -5% to hit penalty wearing chain, level 5= -5% to hit penalty wearing plate.

So for 30 points I have 16% dodge and a -5% penalty to hit with all armors. Vllad1 now needs some weopons.

Weopon Skills:

Tier one weopons skills are like the following:

Tier 1= 1h sword, Polearm, 2h sword, 1h axe, 2h axe, pistol, rifle etc.

Now learning the base skill doesn't cost any points. So I go to TrainerX pay him 10 silver and he trains me in 1h sword and Polearm skill. I can now equip and use any 1h sword or Polearm. When I did so I can now go to additional specialized trainers and pick up tiered skills. Once I go to 1h Sword TrainerX I get access to the following.

1h sword piercing damage
1h sword slashing damage
1h sword parry
1h sword accuracy
1h sword penetration

If I spent 15 points in"1h sword piercing damage" it would do the following:
level 1= +1% piercing damage, level 2= +2% piercing damage, level 3= +4% piercing damage, level 4= +8% piercing damage, level 5= +16% piercing damage.

I will cover the type of damage later.

If you put points into the "1h Piercing Damage" skill you get access to the following tier 2 skills.

Tier 2 1h Sword = Katana, Rapier, Cutlass, Falx, Sabre etc.

The prereq to take Rapier skills is 5 levels in "1h sword piercing damage". If I meet that prereq I would qualify for the following.

Rapier damage
Rapier speed
Rapier riposte
Rapier critical

"Rapier damage" would do the following:
level 1= +1% piercing damage, level 2= +2% piercing damage and 1% slashing damage, level 3= +4% piercing damage and 2% slashing damage, level 4= +8% piercing damage and +4% slashing damage, level 5= +16% piercing damage and +8% slashing damage.

All skills stack so for 60 points Vllad1 could have +16% piercing damage with any 1h sword or if I equip a rapier I now have +32% piercing damage and +8% slashing damage plus 16% dodge and -5% to hit penalties for all armors. Now Vllad1 needs some armor.

Armor Skills

All armor does in my set up is create motion penalties, add resist and prevent crits. The resist types could be from magic or melee. The four types of melee damage are Blunt, Piercing, Slashing and Puncture. Also the type of armor you wear prevents you from doing things which is the motion penalty. (Do not take this as running penalties as that effects pvp to drastically.)

For example certain spells or non melee ability may not be performed if wearing plate. Duel wielding, 2h axes and Scythes can't be wielded while wearing plate. (As long as you can't switch gear while engaged in combat any character can switch rolls by using this method.) This means a plate wearing shield and sword guy can still play other rolls if he has the points to do so.

Armor does not effect weopon speed, just the weopons you can use. This way you cater speed to weopons skills not inclined to be worn by plate users. This balances the game and prevents abuses.

So a basic piece of plate armor might look like the following:
Breast plate1= 45% slashing resist, 45% piercing resist, 40% Blunt resist, 35% Puncture resist.
-15% to hit penalty.

A basic piece of skin armor my look like the following:
Leather jerkin= 20% slashing resist, 15% piercing resist, 10% Blunt resist, 5% puncture resist.
-5% to hit penalty

Tier 1 Armor skills: Cloth, Skins, Studded, Chained, Plate.

Vllad1 already went and spent 10 silver so he could wear plate.
Now Vllad1 still has 90 points to spend so he goes to see the Plate TrainerX. Since he can wear plate he gets access to the following.

Plate Slashing Defense
Plate Piercing Defense
Plate Blunt Defense
Plate Puncture Defense
Plate Limber
Plate Critical
Plate Runes

Vllad1 decides to spend 15 points in Plate Puncture Defense and it gives the following:

Level 1= +.5% puncture resist, Level 2= +1% puncture resist, Level 3= +2% puncture resist, Level 4= +4% puncture resist, Level 5= 8% puncture resist.

By taking 5 levels of Plate Puncture Defense skill I now have access to the following Tier 2 Plate Skills.

Mithril Plate
Vampire1 Plate
Jolien Plate

I decide on Vampire1 Plate. It gives the following.

Level 1= +.5% to all resist, Level 2= +1% to all resist, Level 3= +2% to all resist, Level 4= +4% to all resist, Level 5= 8% to all resist.

All skills stack so for 90 points Vllad1 could have
*16% dodge and -5% to hit penalties for all armors.
*+16% piercing damage with any 1h sword or if I equip a rapier I now have +32% piercing damage and +8% slashing damage.
*+ 16% puncture damage resist and +8% for all other resist while wearing Vampire1 Plate or just 8% puncture resist while wearing any other kind of plate.

Now I need a little magic.

Magic Skills

Tier 1 spells skills would be Light Magic, Dark Magic, Fire Magic, Earth Magic, Water Magic, Air Magic

After reviewing the magic skills I find out that I can't really cast much by wearing any plate. In-fact in order to successfully cast any spells most require cloth and skins type armors. I do see a few I can do while wearing plate however.

Lets say I have access to the following Tier 1 Spells Skills.

Light Magic Accuracy
Light Magic Holy Burn
Light Magic Holy Defense
Light Magic Blessing
Light Magic Charm
Light Magic Duration

I decide to spend 15 points in "Light Magic Blessing"

Level 1= 1% increase in hit points, Level 2= 2% increase in hit points, Level 3= 4% increase in hit points, Level 4= 8% increase in hit points, Level 5= 16% increase in hit points,

While having 5 levels in Light Magic Blessing does open up a Tier 2 set of the following:

Blessing Reist
Blessing Offense
Blessing Group

I can't cast any of them while wearing Plate armor so I decide not to take them however their are some groups of Light Spells I could cast while wearing lesser armors. If I was enclined I could take some more points and put them into chain type armors and still have some left over to put into additional light magic. I could put on the plate and tank or I could put on chain armors and do some casting while retaining my 1h sword abilities.

Total now for 105 points I have:
*16% dodge and -5% to hit penalties for all armors.
*+16% piercing damage with any 1h sword or if I equip a rapier I now have +32% piercing damage and +8% slashing damage.
*+ 16% puncture damage resist and +8% for all other resist while wearing Vampire1 Plate or just 8% puncture resist while wearing any other kind of plate.
*Can cast a blessing that adds 16% increase in hit points.

If you made it to this point I think you get the idea. You could multi layer the skills (Tier1, 2, 3 or 4) and get access to even more skills based on the factions you gain. I would have it so once learned the type of skill you could always revert to them as long as you met the prereq's. I may decide later that I no longer want to cast blessings so I can respec out it and put those points into more weopon skills. If change my mind a year down the road I have already learned the Light skills so all I have to do is respec and put my points back into them to start casting them again.

I would just make sure that in a faction game I wouldn't have prereq's that aren't just skilled based but some may be faction based as well. For example if you turned yourself from a Human to Vampire maybe you don't get to cast Light spells.

As long as the points a very limiting people can enjoy a limitless amount of combinations.

Vllad

Messages In This Thread