differences in teams = more fun
The dynamic of teams having different strengths and weaknesses adds needed depth of gameplay that makes the games far more entertaining. This usually means different races and race/class restrictions. In RTS's it could be your cultural background or technology path, think Civilization.

No game better illustrates and reinforces this concept better than Starcraft...the most popular RTS of all time. As far as MMO's go, EQ racewars and Daoc to a lesser extent.

Paper Rock Scissors: underscores system of checks and balances or counters
Added reply value: you have to learn 3 different ways to play. The game is deeper, you need to know the capabilities of your enemies.

While plenty of people complain about balance, I've never really had issues in games. I typically enjoy playing underdogs to a degree because I know if I beat the overpowered person, I'm that much better and smarter. I dont really care my Team didnt have paladins in EQ, we found other creative ways to get stuff done without them. WoW only further diluted their team differences when they gave each side access to the exclusive class.

Warhammer also proves the point that there needs to be more than 2 teams.
[should not have shot the dolphin]

Messages In This Thread