RAM
ok. So my computer has 6 slots for ram which currently has 3 x 2gb ram. My operating system(windows 7 home premium) evidently will accept up to 16 gigs of ram so I decided to buy 8 more (2 x 4gb) but I was then informed that there may be issues with mixing ram sizes and things of that nature. I bought the exact same ram except the size. My motherboard has 6 slots and there is ram in slots 2,4 and 6. I was going to put the 4 gig ram in slots 1 and 3. Is this going to be ok? Should i just buy another 4 gb card? I have heard that it depends on the motherboard but I can't recall what the motherboard is other than that it has 6 slots and is a couple years old. (I'm at work...)

Thanks for your help!
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
if it has 6 slots and you've filled 3, chances are good you're using an Intel i7 or something like that with 3-channel memory. for those types of systems, putting memory in 3 modules at a time works best, but iirc it should still work with just 1 or 2, just not quite as well.

I would avoid mixing RAM sizes within each bank of 3 slots though. for example, if your slots are numbered A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3 and you have 2 2GB sticks and 1 4GB stick, I would put both 2GB sticks into an 'A' slot, and the 4GB stick in a 'B' slot

across banks, different RAM sizes are fine -- 3 2GB modules plus 3 1GB modules is no problem, and I doubt 3GB plus 2 4GB modules would be a problem either (except your second bank would only have 2 out of 3 channels populated, so performance would be a bit lower).

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
would it be better to put a 4gb card in the 3rd slot even though it would max out the operating systems max ram by 3 gb?

and yes i7
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
if you have a 3rd 4GB module, here are the options I'd try, in order of most-preferred to least-preferred:

1. remove the 3 2GB modules and replace them with the 3 4GB modules, giving you 12GB total.

2. remove the 3 2GB modules and replace them with the 3 4GB modules, then put the 2GB modules in the slots that were previously empty. then test the hell out of the system to make sure it works properly even though you have exceeded the 16GB limit.

3. remove the 3 2GB modules and replace them with the 3 4GB modules, then put 2 of the 2GB modules into previously-empty slots, putting you at 16GB exactly.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
you do realize ram comes in sticks, not cards right Smile

What you should do is ASK ME BEFORE YOU BUY SHIT!! I have ram just laying around at my house. I could have given you another 6 GB of DDR3 ram for free and bumped you up to 12 GB.

I think if you install more than the max ram your system can hold it may not boot.. or it may run fine.. I've never done it but I've heard both that the system will BSOD or run w/out any issues ,just not recognize the extra ram.

I know that if you install more ram than your OS can recognize(for example, 32bit OS can only see 4 GB), then your system just runs fine but only sees however much ram you can... but no idea when it's your MB that is the limiting factor.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
you know when I typed card I actually thought "this doesn't feel right" but who cares Smile

I ordered the ram (because I'm lazy and it was free shipping and I'm not in a hurry) and it will be here monday and it is 2 x 4gb CARDS. I guess I will just stick the 2 cards into the 2 open slots and see how it goes..
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
As snow suggested, since you are running 3x memory modules I would assume that you are running a first gen core i7 configuration with triple channel memory (x58 LGA1366 I believe). If this is true then, depending on your MB, there's a couple possibilities that I would see, which might occur.

Your system may not even be able to boot up. There are a few reasons that would cause this.
1. Some of the early model, lower end MBs were limited to 12 GB (6x2GB) or may have a max module size of 2GB. Most boards support 24GB in either 4 or 8 GB modules so this is unlikely.
2. The MB may not allow you to run a triple channel configuration in 1 memory bank and a dual channel configuration in the other. Also not very likely.
3. As snow said--don't mix different modules sizes in the same memory bank. Chances are the system will not boot if you do this.
4. I assume by "I bought the same exact RAM..." you mean the same speed and voltage. If either set of these modules are not compatible with the frequency and voltage of the other then your system will not boot.

If you have a decent MB and didn't do any of the things listed above, it is likely that everything will boot up just fine. One thing is for certain, however. The bank that is running with only 2 memory modules will be limited to dual channel access, which will impose a small performance penalty whenever your CPU has to access large amounts of data from that memory bank.

If you do add another chip so that you're running 3x2GB and 3x4GB modules you will see a maximum capacity of 16GB in your OS. Remember that the 16 GB is an artificial limit of the OS software (must be 64-bit, obviously) and not necessarily of the hardware, itself.
I added the 4gb cards to the first and second slots that were open and left the 3rd slot open and left the 2gb cards where they were and all is running fine. I did a benchmark test on my computer before and after I installed the ram and the overall score was a little better (like 10% maybe?) but some of the individual scores were a little lower (like 5%).

What would you suggest I do? I can go buy another 4gb card which would put me over my softwares limits but would it effect things negative compared to having an open slot? My motherboard is an ASUS P6T SE.

Thanks Smile
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
I would buy a 3rd 4GB stick and get rid of the 3 2's.
I don't own kid gloves.

TinStar Wrote:What would you suggest I do? I can go buy another 4gb card which would put me over my softwares limits but would it effect things negative compared to having an open slot? My motherboard is an ASUS P6T SE.
There will be no negative effect to adding the 3rd stick. However, you will likely see negligible difference by adding it to what you already have in your system (to enable the triple channel capabilities). If the new RAM has significantly lower latency (or perhaps higher frequency and you're into overclocking) and you have spare $$$ to blow then there may be some merit in what your brother suggested--i.e. add a 3rd 4GB stick and ditch the 3x2's. If not then you will likely see little to no difference in gaming performance by doing so and would not be enough of a benefit to justify spending the money, in my opinion.
He was already at 6GB, so he's not going to see much difference going from 6 to 12 for gaming anyways Wink
I don't own kid gloves.

Strife Wrote:He was already at 6GB, so he's not going to see much difference going from 6 to 12 for gaming anyways Wink
Yeah... as I said he will probably see no difference at all. Many games are still 32-bit applications, which are limited to allocating a maximum of 2 GB (without using a hack) of memory. Unless you've got a fair amount of other crap running in the background that is actively using up your available memory then you should be fine even with 6 GB.
ok what about harddrives? I hear the SSD drives are a lot faster? My computer is pretty well off but I guess I'm just in the mood to screw with it Smile Even contemplating buying another video card even though the one I have is pretty good..
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
SSDs are super fast but a good deal more expensive.

I'd read up on the brand before you buy, though. Was reading reviews about some of the cheaper brands and people are complaining about bluescreens -- basically the thing hiccups sometimes and if that's where you put your operating system, hiccup = bluescreen.

Everyone seems to like the Intel 520 series, though:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Series-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B006VCP7YA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1334188880&sr=8-5">http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Series-2-5- ... 880&sr=8-5</a><!-- m -->