Gaming PC's
I know nothing about specs of PC's and what is good these days, and I want to buy a new PC before GuildWars comes out. So....which is the better buy?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7007453&Sku=C122-08250">http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... C122-08250</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1418814&CatId=1886">http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=1886</a><!-- m -->
I would review those video cards, and don't be swayed by the dual video cards. IMO, 1 good video card is better than 2 mediocre ones linked together.
2nd one looks fairly decent for the price, a bit high but not a rip off or anything.
Thats about the fastest CPU you can get, and video card is near the top of the 'bang for the buck' cards.
Ram is on the slow side and they dont list speed/xfer rate for the harddrive or what brand it is

CPU: 10/10
RAM: 7/10
VIDEO: 8/10

Stay away from AMD processors.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
have you tried going to Ibuypower.com and actually building a computer with the same specs as any of those? I'm not sure if they are giving Tigerdirect a special deal or what but I would think buying direct from them would be better because you can pick and choose what is important to you and what is not. You can also shave $ on things that you don't need and add a few bucks for certain upgrades that you would deem to be important..
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
I only chose tigerdirect because they are in Canada and would probably ship faster. Not to mention I have no idea what any of the good specs are in terms of processors, ram, cards - anything really. So if a cpu has good reviews from a fairly respectable site, I'm all in.
Adimenti Wrote:I want to buy a new PC before GuildWars comes out.

Adimenti Wrote:I only chose tigerdirect because they are in Canada and would probably ship faster

I think you could pick someone that delivered via horse drawn carriage and you would still get it in plenty of time.

Too many games to fit in signature....
Adimenti Wrote:I only chose tigerdirect because they are in Canada and would probably ship faster. Not to mention I have no idea what any of the good specs are in terms of processors, ram, cards - anything really. So if a cpu has good reviews from a fairly respectable site, I'm all in.

tomshardware.com prob has best neutral reviews of performance. Goto the charts section and look at the performance of CPU/Videocard for a game you would be playing in a resolution you want to play at.

Intel i5 or i7 (again there are several version/models of these, look up the specific model ##### on tomshardware.com to see just how fast it is)
8mb or more of DDR3 2k-2.6k ram
Solid State hard drive is nice but not required

1-2 empty PCI slots for upgrades
The new Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs will be out this month. Would that lower the price of their other processors significantly enough to make it worth waiting?
I agree with all of the previously made assessments. When building a gaming PC the most important component is going to be the graphics card(s). Second behind this follows the CPU/RAM/MB, though generally most reasonably modern CPUs are going to be powerful enough such that they won't throttle the graphics card until you start going very high end. You don't really need a top of the line CPU unless you plan on using your system for a lot of heavy CPU-based tasks like video encoding/compression or encryption on a large scale--sounds like you just wanna frag some stuff, though. Most current games do not utilize more than 2-3 cores reliably, thus a reasonably high clocked quad core CPU is sufficient to meet the needs of most games.

The first system you linked is an AMD-based system. While I really like to see AMD thrive to give Intel's CPU biz some competition I agree with Diggles that their CPUs just simply do not live up to their performance expectations--buy Intel. Additionally the first system uses AMD 5570 cards in CF. AMD does build pretty solid graphics cards, however, the 5570 isn't much of a gaming card on its own.

Between the two systems, the 2x 5570's and the 1x 550 Ti are going to be somewhat close performance-wise. Since you really aren't gaining anything performance-wise by having the dual video cards it is always preferable to go with a single card (a lot of games also prefer NVidia architecture because they provide a lot of support to game developers). A single card will also generally produce less noise/heat and consume less power than two cards (not always, though!). If the 2nd system's MB supports SLI (don't recall seeing a brand/model number--I really don't like preconfigured systems!) there's always the option of doubling up the 550 Ti's down the road for even more performance.

Here's a link to a comparison between the 550 Ti and 2x 5570's in CF:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-...5375%5D=on

I went to ibuypower.com and configured a system approximately the same as the 2nd one that was linked. It ended up being about $50 bucks more in USD so unless you want to reconfigure the components more thoroughly I don't think you're saving anything vs. buying from tiger--but I would still encourage you to shop around a bit more if you haven't already. I'm assuming your budget is around $1000 since the two systems you linked were right in that price range. If you did want to configure the system yourself, however, I'm sure you could squeeze out some additional gaming performance for a somewhat minimal price increase by cutting back slightly on the CPU power (the i5 sandy bridge CPUs are still awesome) and stepping up to the next tier of graphics.
While it's certainly not necessary, I can't imagine ever getting a PC that DOESN'T have a solid state drive in it. Booting up to OS in 7 seconds, and being the first to zone/load map every time? Yes, please.

having said that, yeah the 2nd one isnt a horrible price. I built one with just about those same specs (but with an SSD) for $700.
Breand Wrote:While it's certainly not necessary, I can't imagine ever getting a PC that DOESN'T have a solid state drive in it. Booting up to OS in 7 seconds, and being the first to zone/load map every time? Yes, please.

having said that, yeah the 2nd one isnt a horrible price. I built one with just about those same specs (but with an SSD) for $700.

Ummm.. How?

OS $100
SSD > $100
Ram > $75
Case > $50
MB > $50
2nd HD > $50
PSU > $50
Video Card > $150
CPU > $150(probably closer to $250)

I'm sitting at $775 using my very low numbers.. Unless you have OS and other parts already, I don't see how you retailed a computer comparable for $700.. and if you did.. I need to know how Wink
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
I bought a mobo (GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R), RAM 6GB, SSD 160GB, processor (i7). Everything else was ported over from my old system (I had a Radeon HD4850 vid card Im still using, 2 HDs, case, PSU). When you build your own, you tend to take advantage of what you have already. Also work at a place where we have about 100 unused OS licenses. There are many ways, both legal and not to get Windows 7 64bit on the cheap.

So yeah, taking that into account $1k is probably right where you want to be for a full system. This was also in September 2010 so prices were different. SSDs are cheaper now, as is RAM.

It's starting to show it's age but it still runs SWTOR fine. I will upgrade the vid card and RAM eventually.
Breand Wrote:I bought a mobo (GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R), RAM 6GB, SSD 160GB, processor (i7). Everything else was ported over from my old system (I had a Radeon HD4850 vid card Im still using, 2 HDs, case, PSU). When you build your own, you tend to take advantage of what you have already. Also work at a place where we have about 100 unused OS licenses. There are many ways, both legal and not to get Windows 7 64bit on the cheap.

This was in September 2010.

It's starting to show it's age but it still runs SWTOR fine. I will upgrade the vid card and RAM eventually.
Yea, I've built many a computer, was just wondering how you were comparing a $700 computer to the one Adi had retail. Obviously porting over parts was what I expected you to say, but was just curious Wink
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
well broken down on the 2nd system using Newegg prices

Intel® Core™ i7-2600 3.40GHz = $300
8GB DDR3 RAM = $65
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti ~$130
LGA 1155 motherboard ~$60
1TB HD ~$80

= $635

so add in case, PSU, OS and you are looking ~$800 -$850

Of course, there are many ways, both legal and not, to get an OS on the cheap side Wink
Someone just build me one.
I put a nice machine together for you Adi but then my eldest daughter needed a new computer so I gave it to her instead.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
I'm rather apprehensive to recommend a not-so-tech-savy person to get anything non-big name brand.

I'd recommend looking at Dells outlet. you can usually get a scratch/dent machine for several hundred dollars off that can handle itself pretty well. Its very unlikely you'll get an SSD with most premade machines, so I wouldn't worry about that...

Minimum I5 Processor, Minimum 550 GTX Nvidia GPU, Minimum 8GB of ram (IMO, some people say 6, but eveything in my house has at least 8, including my HTPC which is MAJORLY overkill for what it does, but I have standards damn it)... and that's about it!

They have an Alienware, brand new, for 950$ with an I5, 555 GTX, and 8GB of ram. You're paying ~100$ more just for the name "Alienware", but you're also paying for the Dell Warranty, where you can basically open up a chat session and say "Shits broken" and they say "hey look at that, you're still under warranty. dispatching a tech at your earliest convenience".

My 2 cents.
Patrick - 7X GM Dexxer (retired)
Zik the Elflord - 75 Elf BW Thief (retired, because the servers got taken down..)
Xyphos - 40 Swordmaster (retired)
WoW Toons - Three 120's, and Twenty Eight 100+'s
GW2 - The Xyphos Army
Xyphos Wrote:I'm rather apprehensive to recommend a not-so-tech-savy person to get anything non-big name brand.

I'd recommend looking at Dells outlet. you can usually get a scratch/dent machine for several hundred dollars off that can handle itself pretty well. Its very unlikely you'll get an SSD with most premade machines, so I wouldn't worry about that...

Minimum I5 Processor, Minimum 550 GTX Nvidia GPU, Minimum 8GB of ram (IMO, some people say 6, but eveything in my house has at least 8, including my HTPC which is MAJORLY overkill for what it does, but I have standards damn it)... and that's about it!

They have an Alienware, brand new, for 950$ with an I5, 555 GTX, and 8GB of ram. You're paying ~100$ more just for the name "Alienware", but you're also paying for the Dell Warranty, where you can basically open up a chat session and say "Shits broken" and they say "hey look at that, you're still under warranty. dispatching a tech at your earliest convenience".

My 2 cents.

DELL is crap. They are the epitome of corner cutting crap. You've just lost all creditability in the hardware forums by recommending anyone buy dell.
Diggles Wrote:DELL is crap. They are the epitome of corner cutting crap. You've just lost all creditability in the hardware forums by recommending anyone buy dell.

I'm recommending someone to buy a dell whom has no background in hardware tech. I custom build everything for myself, but I am forced to deal with dell on a day to day basis at work and have dealt heavily with their warranty service. I've also been forced to deal with Lenovo, HP, Asus, Acer, Toshiba and Sony. All of them fall short of the ease I've had dealing with dells warranty service. Do I think their hardware itself isn't all that great? Absolutely. but for your average end user they're not going to be concerned with a loss in performance for the piece of mind knowing when their shit falls apart they're able to contact someone else to deal with it... rather then take it to best buy/staples and pray the 17 year old you just handed your PC to has the slightest idea what they're doing.

You don't have to agree with me, but I think with the above background info you can at least understand where I'm coming from.
Zik the Elflord - 75 Elf BW Thief (retired, because the servers got taken down..)
GW2 - The Xyphos Army
Diggles Wrote:DELL is crap. They are the epitome of corner cutting crap. You've just lost all creditability in the hardware forums by recommending anyone buy dell.

As if any other company selling premades isn't? It's not like Tiger Direct is this shining beacon of personal computing. I agree with Xyphos...they are all crap, but Dell will be more likely to fix your shit when it breaks. If you want cheap, you get cheap. I don't have a problem with that per se, as I tend to go that route.
The only time Dell has ever stood behind ANYTHING they've made is for business class computers. They get caught on a yearly basis cutting corners that other companies DO NOT. Like the 2 years of bad capacitors, remember? Honest companies like HP & Apple actually admitted there was a problem and worked with their customers/clients to fix it. Dell trained their employees to play down the problem and tell customers it wasnt Dell's fault or responsibility.

Buy continuing to support Dell you are only prolonging the problem. This is the same company that tried to move their Enterprise support to India too, something the other big name PC makers didnt dare consider. There is a reason why Dell lost its spot as #1 PC maker, people hate them with a passion.
Diggles Wrote:The only time Dell has ever stood behind ANYTHING they've made is for business class computers. They get caught on a yearly basis cutting corners that other companies DO NOT. Like the 2 years of bad capacitors, remember? Honest companies like HP & Apple actually admitted there was a problem and worked with their customers/clients to fix it. Dell trained their employees to play down the problem and tell customers it wasnt Dell's fault or responsibility.

Buy continuing to support Dell you are only prolonging the problem. This is the same company that tried to move their Enterprise support to India too, something the other big name PC makers didnt dare consider. There is a reason why Dell lost its spot as #1 PC maker, people hate them with a passion.

Im not sure where you're getting your information. if its from experience, that it sucks that yours is so completely contrary to mine, but your sweeping accusation of not standing behind anything doesn't hold true in my experience. While I do deal with them a majority of the time related to their business line, I still do deal with them for personal machines as well. Hell, I got a watercooled quad core extreme machine rmaed out entirely, and got it replaced with a scratch/dent i7 alienware for free.

As I said, you don't have to agree with me... but I can promise you 5 years of, for the majority, good experience with dell isn't going to be swayed without very good reason.
GW2 - The Xyphos Army
It's pretty damn easy to build a system these days. To make it really simple, buy your parts at a mom and pop store locally, have them test the mobo to POST, and if it's posting a monkey can put the rest of the components together.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
the bad capacitors thing was bad for everyone, enterprise customers included, and is a serious black eye for Dell.

but still, I think Dell is a fine choice if you stick with the enterprise product line (optiplex desktops and latitude laptops). I would avoid the consumer line (inspiron and dimension). I have no personal opinion on the gaming line (alienware).

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Pete, I cannot build a computer.
Waeloga-"Flab is my idol"