Fiber internet
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://usinternet.com/fiber-info/">http://usinternet.com/fiber-info/</a><!-- m -->

and an article about it:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.startribune.com/business/116962168.html">http://www.startribune.com/business/116962168.html</a><!-- m -->

There's about 5 streets getting it, and mine is one of them. 100 Mbps Up/Down for 40 bucks a month? Yes please!

I got pretty lucky on this one.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Oh nice! Wish I had an option like that near me, hehe actually I wish the net here didn't randomly go down periodically Tongue.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
― Heraclitus
Oh that is nice. Definitely read the second link for the lowdown. But I'll sum up:

A company that builds internet backbones has realized they could make some cash on the side by putting wireless access points on their backbone cable to sell cheap, stupid-fast access to anyone that happens to be within range. They aren't going to branch out from their backbone but if you just happen to be on top of it, they'll sell you access.
It's an actual physical line they are running to the house, if you don't do it now while they are laying the fiber, you can't get it done later. Free install too! Seems crazy to me, but chances are i'll be their customer for as long as I live here. A decent tradeoff I guess.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
We have fiber running to the house as well. Unfortunately Bellsouth hasn't invested in the infrastructure that would support it properly, so any DSL is capped at 1.4MB right now.

This is why I'm using cable at 30MB right now.

Hope they invest your infrastructure properly!
Skelas Wrote:It's an actual physical line they are running to the house, if you don't do it now while they are laying the fiber, you can't get it done later. Free install too! Seems crazy to me, but chances are i'll be their customer for as long as I live here. A decent tradeoff I guess.
40$ for fiber is a great deal, assuming they have a consistently good up time and don't make you sign some stupid long contract. But it sounds good, I'm envious(of your fiberz)
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
I just got fiber on my road and I've not been super impressed. It's pretty inconsistent. Sometimes it streams 1080 faster than it plays, other times I have to buffer. I got the $69 for 20Mbps plan and on speedtest.net earlier this month it was only coming in at 8Mbps and 15 Mbps. I checked it out just now and it was up to 21.5. Hopefully they've improved it recently (it's a new company).
Uncle Shags Wrote:I just got fiber on my road and I've not been super impressed. It's pretty inconsistent. Sometimes it streams 1080 faster than it plays, other times I have to buffer. I got the $69 for 20Mbps plan and on speedtest.net earlier this month it was only coming in at 8Mbps and 15 Mbps. I checked it out just now and it was up to 21.5. Hopefully they've improved it recently (it's a new company).
Do the pingtest sometime when you feel like it's slow:

Command prompt
ping -t google.com
Let it run for about an hour. You can do this while using the computer.
Ctrl-C to stop it.
Examine packet loss. You want to see "0%". A few dropped packets is fine but should still average out to 0%. 5%+ packet loss will leave you with a usable connection but you'll be wondering why it's so slow, and games can become unplayable.

Usually when I have any problem with my internet, it's packet loss. If it persists I have to call them to come out and do whatever it is they do to fix it.
anything over 2% packetloss is considered a problem. 5% would be unplayable in an FPS or twitch game
[should not have shot the dolphin]
5% is unplayable for pretty much any online game, not just twitchers. MMOs will kick you if you keep dropping packets. I don't think I've played a game since EQ that let you stay connected while consistently dropping packets.
Packets: Sent = 3163, Received = 3162, Lost = 1 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 74ms, Average = 21ms
That's good and normal. If ping is good and speedtest is good then it may just be the streaming service itself that's slow in transmit.
I was having internet issues recently and had the cable company send a guy out to look at it. He tried to tell me that because he was able to get good numbers on a speed test that I was fine. I had to explain a ping test to him and that 5% packet loss was not a good thing and they best figure out how to fix it.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
Zirak Wrote:I was having internet issues recently and had the cable company send a guy out to look at it. He tried to tell me that because he was able to get good numbers on a speed test that I was fine. I had to explain a ping test to him and that 5% packet loss was not a good thing and they best figure out how to fix it.
You should have billed him Wink
I don't own kid gloves.

Zirak Wrote:I was having internet issues recently and had the cable company send a guy out to look at it. He tried to tell me that because he was able to get good numbers on a speed test that I was fine. I had to explain a ping test to him and that 5% packet loss was not a good thing and they best figure out how to fix it.

i recently had a situation that took cable company 4 months to get a handle on. Request a supervisor IMMEDIATELY. Explain that you are unable to do WHAT YOU WANT, WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR. Steaming movies, online gaming, etc.

Mine turned out to be a combination of modem going bad + one of the cable nodes being damaged.

LOG EVERYTHING. Disconnects, brief outages, packetloss % #'s, etc. They take you ALOT more serious when you are giving them time & dates and how often they are happening.

You would be surprised the incompetence at ALL levels of some of these tech companies. I think only 2 out of 10+ people I talked with even had a clue what 'packet loss' was. One local tech supervisor and 1 phone agent were actually able to see the problem, but getting that translated to the other monkeyfucks was the hard part.
Diggles Wrote:

i recently had a situation that took cable company 4 months to get a handle on. Request a supervisor IMMEDIATELY. Explain that you are unable to do WHAT YOU WANT, WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR. Steaming movies, online gaming, etc.

Mine turned out to be a combination of modem going bad + one of the cable nodes being damaged.

LOG EVERYTHING. Disconnects, brief outages, packetloss % #'s, etc. They take you ALOT more serious when you are giving them time & dates and how often they are happening.

You would be surprised the incompetence at ALL levels of some of these tech companies. I think only 2 out of 10+ people I talked with even had a clue what 'packet loss' was. One local tech supervisor and 1 phone agent were actually able to see the problem, but getting that translated to the other monkeyfucks was the hard part.
Anytime my internet starts going bad consistently, my step 1 is to just take my modem and get a new one from Comcast... it's amazing how often they go bad. I replace mine every 2-3 years at least.
I don't own kid gloves.

Strife Wrote:Anytime my internet starts going bad consistently, my step 1 is to just take my modem and get a new one from Comcast... it's amazing how often they go bad. I replace mine every 2-3 years at least.
Routers too. If I'm having a long term problem, plugging my computer directly into my cable modem is one of the tests I do. If that makes the problem go away, time for a new router.
I hope you guys are least power cycling, full reset and/or firmware updating before you toss a $50 router!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/2012/09/29/regional-broadband-group-inks-deal-with/4GporTWvBOxYaZE45SfTiI/story.html">http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermon ... story.html</a><!-- m -->

Yay!!

4 years ago when PotBS was going strong, would have been nice. Fiber will significantly improve my connection, I am thinking.
Fiber is also good for improving the connection between your stomach and your sphincter.

I wish I had more fiber in my internetz.