Why individual stock investment is bad.
Really good advice. Its interesting to read the 10 reasons to not invest in stocks long term, and realize how many of those 10 reasons caused me to lose money.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-hazards-of-buying-individual-stocks-2012-05-23">http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-haz ... 2012-05-23</a><!-- m -->

1. Economic Risk: The recession decimated the stock prices of companies as diverse as YRC Worldwide YRCW +0.64% (trucking), Micron Technology MU -0.23% (semiconductors), Gannett GCI -0.78% (media) and Office Depot ODP +1.11% .

2. Industry-Specific Risk: The financial crisis that accompanied the aforementioned recession clobbered the share prices at some of the nation's largest financial institutions, including AIG AIG -2.06% , Citigroup C -1.44% and Bank of America BAC +0.43% .

3. Government Policy Risk: President Clinton used Fannie Mae FNMA +1.48% and Freddie Mac FMCC +1.48% to ensure that unqualified people were able to buy homes that they couldn't afford. The shares of each have declined by more than 40% over the past decade.

4. Material Cost Risk: High fuel prices are one reason that American Airlines is bankrupt. And Alcoa's AA -0.19% stock has dropped by 11% partly because the price of aluminum has been so unpredictable.

5. Technological Risk: A decade ago, who would have thought that the august Eastman Kodak Company , eclipsed by the digital age, would be bankrupt, foundering aimlessly, and down 30% in share value?

6. Competitive Risk: Sprint Nextel S +1.25% , which has long struggled for telecom market share, is the poster child for competitive risk. Down 17% over 10 years.

7. Legal Risk: Tenet Healthcare THC -1.52% has had legal problems since 2007 and in April agreed to pay the government almost $43 million to settle alleged violations of the False Claims Act. 10-year decline: 18%.

8. Key Executive Risk: Until the Facebook FB +3.48% IPO mania set in, the looming question in Silicon Valley was what will become of Apple AAPL +1.24% now that Steve Jobs is gone? And sometimes CEOs die more suddenly, as Micron Technology's Steve Appleton did when the plane he was piloting crashed in February.

9. Management Risk: Company managers can make big mistakes. Jamie Dimon and his crew at J.P. Morgan Chase JPM -1.21% , revered for deftly managing through the financial crisis, stunned Wall Street earlier this month by announcing a $2 billion blunder. Shareholders lost 15% of their money in the days following the news.

10. Management Corruption Risk: Tyco International's TYC -0.48% ex-CEO Dennis Kozlowski was convicted in 2005 for looting millions from the company. The shares were pummeled. Kozlowski was denied parole last month and could remain in prison for another 18 years.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
I read this article last night, and was just shaking my head. Why do people do these kinds of things? When you buy into hype, you lose. Why on earth would Facebook stock be "in your retirement plans?"

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-24/facebook-investor-spending-month-s-salary-exposes-hype.html">http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-2 ... -hype.html</a><!-- m -->
Those same reasons can help you make money as well.
Vllad Wrote:Those same reasons can help you make money as well.

yes true, but many of them are unknown until after the fact.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Vanraw Wrote:
Vllad Wrote:Those same reasons can help you make money as well.

yes true, but many of them are unknown until after the fact.

Yes but that it when you make the money. After it is known.
Breand Wrote:I read this article last night, and was just shaking my head. Why do people do these kinds of things? When you buy into hype, you lose. Why on earth would Facebook stock be "in your retirement plans?"l
I have FB in my retirement account, as well as highly risky options. It all depends on your age and appetite risk. When you are young (not that I am...), you SHOULD have risky investments. Much better to do it when you are starting than when you get close to retirement. I've spent a lot of time advising friends, family and coworkers on financial stuff, and it blows my mind when I find a 25 year old putting 25% (sometimes even 50%) of their 401k funds in bonds. You need to be aggressive early, and gradually transition into bonds as you near retirement (at 42 I still have zero bonds).

And never pay a financial advisor - their advice sucks.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Grieve Wrote:I have FB in my retirement account, as well as highly risky options. It all depends on your age and appetite risk. When you are young (not that I am...), you SHOULD have risky investments. Much better to do it when you are starting than when you get close to retirement. I've spent a lot of time advising friends, family and coworkers on financial stuff, and it blows my mind when I find a 25 year old putting 25% (sometimes even 50%) of their 401k funds in bonds. You need to be aggressive early, and gradually transition into bonds as you near retirement (at 42 I still have zero bonds).

Those of us who plan to retire at 40 don't have time to gamble it all away Smile
Vllad Wrote:
Vanraw Wrote:
Vllad Wrote:Yes but that it when you make the money. After it is known.

True but you still are exposed unless you have the real scoop. I can give many examples.

Incidentally the trading I do on these forums is the same as you discussed. Small play account in which losing everything has no real impact to me. Its like real world pvp, me against the world of evil investors......

I'm winning.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

We have three retirement accounts.

My 401k (68% of total) - stock mutual funds only (medium risk)
My wife's IRA (21%) - individual stocks like AAPL (medium/high risk)
My IRA (11%) - mostly call options or spreads (very high risk)

But so far this year, the 401k is up just 11%, my wife's IRA is up 26%, and my IRA is up 75%.

So...risk is very worthwhile as far as I'm concerned! But I agree, you don't want to put 100% of your retirement funds in FB or AAPL or call options. Unless you are 21 years old and only have a few hundred dollars to play with - then you should go all in!
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Grieve Wrote:
Breand Wrote:I read this article last night, and was just shaking my head. Why do people do these kinds of things? When you buy into hype, you lose. Why on earth would Facebook stock be "in your retirement plans?"l
I have FB in my retirement account, as well as highly risky options. It all depends on your age and appetite risk. When you are young (not that I am...), you SHOULD have risky investments. Much better to do it when you are starting than when you get close to retirement. I've spent a lot of time advising friends, family and coworkers on financial stuff, and it blows my mind when I find a 25 year old putting 25% (sometimes even 50%) of their 401k funds in bonds. You need to be aggressive early, and gradually transition into bonds as you near retirement (at 42 I still have zero bonds).

And never pay a financial advisor - their advice sucks.

I have about 30% of my 401k in PTRAX. I just can't argue with a mostly bond fund that is giving me annualized 8% returns.

I do have to explain to my wife over and over again how the crash of 2008 was the best thing that ever happened to our retirement account.
Breand Wrote:I have about 30% of my 401k in PTRAX. I just can't argue with a mostly bond fund that is giving me annualized 8% returns.

8% is much better then most.

On my large 401k, Verizon has a some serious funds that are constantly beating the market. These are not available via normal trading. The only movement I make in these, is 1, I always sell any VZ stock once a quarter or so. All matches are in VZ stock. I learned in the Worldcom day's that you should have your salary and your retirement in the same company.....

Over all this is a medium to low risk account. The one thing I do, is I will move it around to "more" aggressive funds, after a major market crash. And when the market starts to reach all time highs I will move to less aggressive.... Right now Im still medium aggressive, but Im getting ready to move to less aggressive. Both less and medium have good gains, but the low risk / aggressive funds weather the storm very well.

Breand Wrote:I do have to explain to my wife over and over again how the crash of 2008 was the best thing that ever happened to our retirement account.

Yea, I feel odd when Im hoping for the market to go down, when I know that will also hurt my long retirement on the short term..... My wife doesnt understand, and thinks I'm odd.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi