Up to date info on GPU and CPU
If you're updating today (and you're cheap like me) what do you go with assuming you want to play Gw2 and Ps2 with most neat things turned to medium or higher?

CPU: I5 or I7? Something newer?

GPU choice under 250$? Is a GTX 560 good enough? 570? Do I really need to spend 499 on the higher end 6 series?

Thanks in advance for your insults Diggles.

Do I need an i7 over a good i5 to realize this chart?

"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
I'm using a Gen 1 I7 and a 560TI. I play with everything on Ultra in GW2, and running dxtory, and have 60 FPS almost constant (can get some FPS fluctuations in WvWvW with a million particle effects going off). I don't have PS2, so I have no input on that.

Third Gen i5 with a 560 should perform fine.
Patrick - 7X GM Dexxer (retired)
Zik the Elflord - 75 Elf BW Thief (retired, because the servers got taken down..)
Xyphos - 40 Swordmaster (retired)
WoW Toons - Three 120's, and Twenty Eight 100+'s
GW2 - The Xyphos Army
my wife is using a Core i7 920 with 6GB DDR3 and a 3GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 7970. she has everything set to maximum and it all runs fine. current Core i5 (Sandy Bridge) models should be just as good as (if not better than) the original i7 chips for gaming.

I'm using a Core 2 Quad Q9300 with 4GB DDR3 and a 1GB GDDR3 Radeon HD 4850. I have a lot of things set to low in order to maintain the frame rate I was previously getting with a 1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 4870 set to medium/high (I had to remove the 4870 because it had some kind of Vsync glitch that was super annoying).

I tried running the game over the weekend using a Core 2 Duo E6400 with 2GB DDR2 and a 512MB GDDR3 Radeon HD 4850, and the game was unplayable (over a minute to load into zones, invisible avatar, other players not visible, etc.). I think the problem was insufficient memory, rather than things being too slow.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
I would save $ on the processor before saving it on the video card. Just sayin!

I5's are great processors and will do you fine for gaming.

Honestly, if I was thinking about buying a new card, and I was leaning towards the 560ti, I would just spend the little extra $ and get the 660ti
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
I agree with Xyphos. I actually just put together a PC with an i5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB RAM and a 560 Ti for my daughter. It runs GW2 on pretty much max settings with a constant 60 fps except in town where it drops to mid 50's. A system with this configuration should be able to run any game on at least medium settings.
Alright perfect. Thanks for the feedback.

Now I need to decide on SSD or not. It sounds so tempting from everything I've read. I guess I can always re-use my current HD and upgrade to SSD in the future.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Dustie Wrote:Alright perfect. Thanks for the feedback.

Now I need to decide on SSD or not. It sounds so tempting from everything I've read. I guess I can always re-use my current HD and upgrade to SSD in the future.
I would say definitely SSD... and you can get them dirt cheap right now, and even the cheap ones will blow away spinning drives.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=91218&sku=O261-6380">http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =O261-6380</a><!-- m -->
I don't own kid gloves.

Wow, that is cheap.

Third gen i5,
560ti or 660ti
SSD

I talked to some others and its looking like my 650 watt power supply should be good so I might be all set.

Muchos Gracias
Buy.com has a 120GB SSD for 69.99 today (after rebate). No idea if its crap or not but here it is if you're interested.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-hyperx-3k-120gb-2-5-sata-iii-solid-state-drive-ssd/230306365.html">http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-hyperx ... 06365.html</a><!-- m -->

Too many games to fit in signature....
I do think you should consider the 660. It's $100 more than the 560 but that's a pretty large performance jump.

I have the 480, which is rated slightly better than the 560, at least by whatever that chart is measuring.
I'm happy to see this kind of thread. I think I need to upgrade my computer almost entirely. Not to highjack the thread, but do you guys think its better to wait for Windows 8 to come out first (not that I'm in a hurry to change from Windows 7) before upgrading?
vegascat Wrote:I'm happy to see this kind of thread. I think I need to upgrade my computer almost entirely. Not to highjack the thread, but do you guys think its better to wait for Windows 8 to come out first (not that I'm in a hurry to change from Windows 7) before upgrading?
I wouldn't let the OS determine when I bought/upgraded my computer... Also a lot of the places that build computers offer free/cheap OS upgrades to Windows 8 once it's released(Ibuypower for example upgrades you to windows 8 for $15).

That being said... I'm still not sold on upgrading to Windows 8 anytime soon anyways... and even if I was, I would probably wait 6-12 months after release to let other gamers guinea pig it for me first.
I don't own kid gloves.

I ran windows 8 in a VM for a few weeks to get the hang of it. It's optimized for a Tablet/Touch Screen. Using a Mouse/Keyboard feels clunky and awkward.

I would wait quite a while before really considering Win8 on anything but something like the Surface.
Patrick - 7X GM Dexxer (retired)
Zik the Elflord - 75 Elf BW Thief (retired, because the servers got taken down..)
Xyphos - 40 Swordmaster (retired)
WoW Toons - Three 120's, and Twenty Eight 100+'s
GW2 - The Xyphos Army
Snowreap Wrote:I tried running the game over the weekend using a Core 2 Duo E6400 with 2GB DDR2 and a 512MB GDDR3 Radeon HD 4850, and the game was unplayable (over a minute to load into zones, invisible avatar, other players not visible, etc.). I think the problem was insufficient memory, rather than things being too slow.
2GB RAM may be fine after all. I'm in Texas this week, where I have a very similar machine -- a Dell OptiPlex 755 with a Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHz) with 2GB DDR2 and a 1GB GDDR3 Radeon HD 4670 -- and GW2 runs just fine. note that the Radeon 4670 runs on PCI slot power only, and this machine has the stock Dell 305W power supply in it.

the machine at home that gave me problems is an OptiPlex 745 with an upgraded power supply to handle the more power-hungry Radeon 4850. so the issue with that one is either the 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo E6400 is too slow or 512MB GDDR3 on the video card is not enough. or it could be a software problem.

or maybe Arenanet has optimized GW2 more, and it would run fine on that computer now if only I would try it again.

both computers are running Windows XP Professional, 32-bit.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt