2012 market returns
Dow +7.3%
S&P 500 +13.4%
Nasdaq +15.9%
Wiltshire 5000 +15%
Best sector - Financials +26%
Worst sector - Utilities -2.9%

First time in a few years I've done worse than the S&P. Sad My trading account finished up 8.3% (thanks to the Dec 31st rally), after being up 138% on Sept 18th, and crashing down as low as -13% in December. Going to be much more conservative this year.

At least my 401K beat the S&P, with a 16.2% return.
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Grieve Wrote:At least my 401K beat the S&P, with a 16.2% return.
How's the money in your 401k allocated? I assume you're not including employer matching because that would make 16.2% suck :wink:
Generally in my opinion, the smart move is to have a large chunk of your allocation in an indexed mutual fund. Something that tracks an index therefore the management costs are tiny. 70% of all mutual funds do not beat the market anyway, so for me, the long term investment with no overhead is a no brain decision.

I also have a large portion in Pimco Total Return which is technically a bond fund and considered "not wise" for someone my age, but well, PTRAX has returned on average 7% for the past 15 years. For a low risk bond fund...7% a year?? Sign me up for that.
Additional question to tack on to the end of my previous one ...

What mutual fund(s) are you leveraging for you 401k and, if able, why?

Being 27, I'm likely at a different place in this than most of you so copy-catting would likely be bad, but it's nice to hear other people's thoughts/logic ... especially when they likely have more experience with it.
Sebrent Wrote:How's the money in your 401k allocated? I assume you're not including employer matching because that would make 16.2% suck :wink:
That's percentage increase in value as reported by Fidelity, not including my contributions and employer match.

My allocation is very aggressive, zero bonds, all stock funds. Bear in mind I didn't start putting any money into a 401k until I was around 33, though, so I'm way behind other folks here.

(actually that's not quite true - I started on a fairly small scale a little earlier earlier, but cashed it in when I got divorced).
Grieve Wrote:
Sebrent Wrote:How's the money in your 401k allocated? I assume you're not including employer matching because that would make 16.2% suck :wink:
That's percentage increase in value as reported by Fidelity, not including my contributions and employer match.

My allocation is very aggressive, zero bonds, all stock funds. Bear in mind I didn't start putting any money into a 401k until I was around 33, though, so I'm way behind other folks here.

(actually that's not quite true - I started on a fairly small scale a little earlier earlier, but cashed it in when I got divorced).

Fidelity uses a time phased calculation that I can't really figure out the math on. So I'm not sure how you back out to what extent and how company matching plays into it.

Too many games to fit in signature....
Sebrent Wrote:Additional question to tack on to the end of my previous one ...

What mutual fund(s) are you leveraging for you 401k and, if able, why?

Being 27, I'm likely at a different place in this than most of you so copy-catting would likely be bad, but it's nice to hear other people's thoughts/logic ... especially when they likely have more experience with it.
At 27 you should definitely be all stocks and zero bonds - when you are young is the best time to take chances, getting more conservative as you get older.

I have a bunch of money in my company stock fund (a bad idea, I know), next highest are T Rowe Price and Fidelity mid and small cap stock funds, plus a REIT fund.

My IRA is all individual stocks and stock options.
Arsilon Wrote:Fidelity uses a time phased calculation that I can't really figure out the math on. So I'm not sure how you back out to what extent and how company matching plays into it.
I just tried:

(Ending Balance - my contributions - emp contributions) / Starting Balance

and I got 16.7%, so it sounds like Fidelity is a bit more conservative. Probably also take into account when each of the contributions came in and what the return on those was.
so 16% is just the raw value growth, not giving you any credit for "free" company match (except for growth on previous year company match).

Too many games to fit in signature....
Pretty soon I am getting back 4.5 years of German pension funds (if you leave before 5 years you get all your mandatory contributions back, after 5 years you are locked in)... Going to have to decide how I will invest it for me... any ideas? That aren't apple, I'm looking at you Grieve.
You don't want to have to deal with that aggravation. Tell you what, send it to me, and I'll make sure it's soundly invested - you won't have to give it another thought until you retire. No no, don't thank me - that's just the sort of guy I am.

By the way, have I told you what a once-in-a-lifetime bargain a certain diversified fruit company is right now?