First Gun
I bought my first gun this weekend. Never have felt I needed to own one, but with taking on a family, the weirdness of both the US environment lately, and the world at large I decided to start looking into and buying some guns. I intend to buy a shotgun, a .22, and at a later point a larger caliber rifle. But for my first purchase I bought a Glock 21 Gen 3 SF and have enjoyed the rounds through it so far. Any suggestions on shotguns for a next purchase?

Karne
All long term Purge members must ultimately face the Diggles Test.
You'll shoot your eye out kid...
If/When you buy a .22, assuming you're going rifle, get a Ruger 10/22. They are the .22 rifle to have for basically anyone and there are a ton of different "flavors" that you can get exactly what you want... so if you want just a standard wooden stock, you can get a break down version(which tears down to 2 parts easily or even tactical versions). Also parts/accessories are easy to find.

If you want a .22 pistol, I'd still stick with Ruger and get an SR22 or a 22/45.

For shotgun, I'd go with either a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. Those are 2 of the best and most common shotguns you'll find. Tin has the mossberg 500 flex which allows you to switch barrels and stocks and all of this shit easily to take it from a home defense shotgun to a sporting/hunting shotgun. If I were buying a shotgun right now, I'd probably get the Mossberg 500 flex for it's versatility and ease to find parts/accessories.

Also, since you now own a handgun and are in the family stage, please for the sake of all things good, get a good gun safe and keep it locked up at all times. For handguns(for home defense), I'm a big fan of the gunvault safes and own 2 of them(this one for my dresser drawer and this one for my desk. You can find them cheaper other places)
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
I have a Remington 1100 shotgun which is super awesome. Also a lot more expensive. It's the semi-auto version of the 870 (which is pump action).

My thinking is that if I had to actually use a gun in home defense, which is ostensibly the purpose of owning it, then each type of shotgun has its own worries:

Pump-action: "underpumping". You think you racked the next round but you didn't.
Semi-auto: jams. If the shell doesn't fire or doesn't fully eject then you'll have to unjam it.

My experience so far is that the 1100 never jams unless you use low recoil rounds and even then it's not that big of a deal. So to my mind it's one less thing to worry about in a situation where there's probably lots to worry about.

Plus you get a little less recoil because the semi-auto action eats up some of it.

And if you really put value on the "chk-chk" sound of chambering a round, you still get that. It's plenty loud when you go from empty gun to chambering the first shell. (I actually don't keep a round chambered because the trigger on this thing is a fairly light pull.)

My pistol is a .38 snub nose revolver. My thinking there was just that you don't have to worry about anything. Pull trigger, gun goes bang, if gun does not go bang, pull trigger again. Downside: only 5 shots. Upside: if the People's Republic of Maryland ever gives its citizens the right to bear arms, it's a perfect size for concealed carry.

I kinda regret not playing with the .38 more before I bought it. It's really too small for my hand. If I grip it naturally my finger wraps around the trigger too much and it pinches when I pull the trigger. I need a larger pistol or smaller hands. Probably cheaper to get a larger pistol.
Slamz Wrote:Pump-action: "underpumping". You think you racked the next round but you didn't.
To be technical, that's called Short Shucking Smile

Quote:My pistol is a .38 snub nose revolver. My thinking there was just that you don't have to worry about anything. Pull trigger, gun goes bang, if gun does not go bang, pull trigger again. Downside: only 5 shots. Upside: if the People's Republic of Maryland ever gives its citizens the right to bear arms, it's a perfect size for concealed carry.
FWIW, there are quite a few double action only semi-auto's that have this same feature, although it's not that common and you kind of have to specifically find one that will do it.

Quote:I kinda regret not playing with the .38 more before I bought it. It's really too small for my hand. If I grip it naturally my finger wraps around the trigger too much and it pinches when I pull the trigger. I need a larger pistol or smaller hands. Probably cheaper to get a larger pistol.
Go trade it in for something you want... most gun shops will trade guns(although, you're obviously going to take a hit from what you paid for it). I would suggest getting a .357 since most(if not all) will also shoot .38 and you get the best of both worlds(.357 is an awesome self defense round and .38's are cheaper to shoot). For the cost/value ratio I would go with Ruger when it comes to revolvers, although there are a lot of good revolvers.
I don't own kid gloves.

Don't .357s have a fair amount of recoil?
Jakensama Wrote:Don't .357s have a fair amount of recoil?
Kind of a subjective question, but yes more than the .38.

If you have issues with the .357 recoil then just load it with the .38's and the problem is solved. The .38 is just a short version of the .357, same size bullet, just shorter case and less powder.

And just for the record, .357 magnum, not .357 sig Wink
I don't own kid gloves.

'Merica.
Adimenti Wrote:'Merica.
Fuck yeah!
Gameless (for now)