Fed Won't Sue to Block Legalized Marijuana
Not posting here for a political discussion, which is why I posted it here.

Link

Quote:The Obama administration on Thursday said it would not sue to undo laws legalizing marijuana in 20 states, although it will monitor operations in those states to make sure they do not run afoul of several enforcement priorities.

So, are any of you going to get into investing in the marijuana industry? I've already heard from some people that I read on line about possibly investing in marijuana growing plants or businesses... but that it was a high risk. This seems to lessen some of the risk.

Granted I'm not a stock person, it seems like this could be a high reward area to invest in. What do you guys think?
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
Not worth the risk IMO. If whoever wins 2016 comes in and decides to start wasting resources busting state legal pot growers your investment goes up in smoke (har har).
Jakensama Wrote:Not worth the risk IMO. If whoever wins 2016 comes in and decides to start wasting resources busting state legal pot growers your investment goes up in smoke (har har).
This.

While I'm sure a lot of people are wistful in their dreams of starting up a legal pot industry, the ground is too shaky. I guess the argument could be that if you got started NOW, you could end up well ahead of any competition by the time things settle and other people decide to get in on it, but I'd still say it's too big of a risk.

It would be like getting into a business manufacturing a type of gun that should probably be illegal but isn't due to some loophole. You might make money or they might close the loophole and now you have a lot of useless (or confiscated) equipment.
More pot = more sheep for the Obamatard nation...

What does that even mean?
Evidently Obama voters have the munchies?

I kind of figured most of you would not be putting money into weed... I kind of feel that in 10 years, it will be legalized in the US(maybe sooner depending on who wins the next election)... and those that did get in and took the risk may end up quite happy with their investments...
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
Perhaps once it is a legal federal law. But even with that it would turn into a commodity on the markets. The question will be, what is the Play?

I suspect if pot became legal, you would see the tobacco companies jumping in, since they have infrastructure. So the cigarette companies might turn into a good long buy.

I do think it will be legalized. Hello the only ones against it are the prison lobbies.....
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
More likely the small time producers will just get wiped out by a sudden influx of competition. It's not like growing pot is a really tough or expensive industry to launch. It's not like starting up a smelting business or a new brand of boxed cereal. It's seeds, dirt, water and light.

Might be interesting to see what the legalization of pot does in terms of production vs demand, though.

My suspicion is that capacity for demand isn't going to go up much. Anyone who wants to smoke pot today can. But production will explode and the price of pot will crash.

Unless maybe industry gets into it, I guess. Is it good for bio-fuel relative to other plants? That might drive up demand. Or if it really turns out to be better than trees for paper; or cotton for clothing or something, like the pot advocates have always said.
Slamz Wrote:My suspicion is that capacity for demand isn't going to go up much. Anyone who wants to smoke pot today can.

Ha, yeah. I can have it delivered to my doorstep now within a few hours, It's not like there is scarcity at the moment.

Quote:But production will explode and the price of pot will crash.

I'm curious how much the price would really go lower. Amsterdam is cheap, but not leaps and bounds cheaper. Then again they don't have huge manufacturing either.
where is my delete button

Spoiler: save it for the Political discussion group! - moderator
[spoiler]Pot ruins the ambition of people and they start not to care. It creates that feeling of relaxation (fuck it). So ya... feed the sheep pot so they can continue to accept that this POS in office is destroying our country and shitting on our constitution. but but.... he supports gay stuff and is black.... well SO WHAT.... I wouldn't hire this douche to run a McDonalds. Who does executive orders to stop guns coming in our country? Can't wait for the sheep to see their checks after Obamacare. I know small businesses that aren't hiring because of the 30 person mark and they are cutting hours. My favorite doctor retired because medicaid was already pay a penny on the dollar. (Rant Done)[/spoiler]

Crice, you gotta join the Political Discussion Group for the political ramifications of pot:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://thepurge.net/forum/ucp.php?i=167">ucp.php?i=167</a><!-- l -->

We'll leave this thread for the investing aspects of pot (which I would still say is silly, or at any rate, if anyone really thinks it's going to become legal and take off, it might be a good time to invest in, possibly, Phillip Morris).
I actually made a quick buck on MJNA something like a year ago (which funny enough is down 10% today). I think the safer play is definitely the medical Marijuana field as it's become much more accepted. But yeah, I don't think any of us are the super risky type, or rich enough to dump any considerable amount of money into the growers market.
Jakensama Wrote:I'm curious how much the price would really go lower. Amsterdam is cheap, but not leaps and bounds cheaper. Then again they don't have huge manufacturing either.

I'd bet that Philip Morris and the like would takeover the mass market very quickly. If it was legalized, you'd need to have some sort of certification, tax system, processing system, packaging system, and filtration add-ons just like tobacco. Even the smokeless or scented versions would be needed because weed smells horrid too. To do all of that you'd need a manufacturing system and not some dealer who's got a bag full of raw plant. Plus, the farm acreage here in the US could probably easily overwhelm demand. I'd guess price would rival cigarettes and alcohol.

No, legalization would probably stimulate the current tobacco companies and their partners with more throughput when or if its fully approved. Since marijuana does effect reflexes much like alcohol, there would be some driving laws tweaking too. A minimum speed law might be needed...
Would be interesting to see how large acerage would affect it. Most decent weed is grown in more controlled conditions from what I understand, whereas the large scale outdoor garbage is pretty much what people get if they are unfortunate enough to live somewhere where you have to smoke it.

But I guess mass production would lower standards like in other industries - much like most Americans are perfectly happy to drink Bud Lite and pretend its drinkable beer or eat at fast food and pretend it is edible.

Even then, though. McWeed from Mexico is currently so much cheaper than decent stuff ($45-60 for 1/8th of an ounce of decent weed, $45-60 for 1 ounce of MexiWeed) that I am not sure how much cheaper Marlboro Greens would fundamentally be.