For Jake : Longhorn Fans Dominate
Link

Quote:Texas fans dominate 543 counties across the country, followed by Florida (423), Ohio State (376), Nebraska (324) and Oregon (233).

[Image: cfb_map_large_usa_today-2-1024x489.jpg]
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
Haha gotta love having the largest alumni group in the world. Although the weirdest thing was still when I was in shanghai and went to watch Texas-A&M play the last time they did before A&M ran away like a bitch. The bar had 10 UT fans and like 20 Aggies, I wasn't aware that many Aggies were literate enough to apply for passports!

Also, I had no clue that many people in New Mexico were UT fans...
Who wouldn't want to go to the SEC if offered? UT owns much of the $$ in the Big 12 they ain't running away from being the conference financial bully. Now that most of the competition has left Texas fans will be even more delusional. I'd put money on by the end of the year Mack Brown will have to justify his position yet again.
And those Longhorn fans in Maine!
I don't own kid gloves.

Dharus Wrote:Who wouldn't want to go to the SEC if offered?

A team that wants a chance of winning? Then again, neither Mizzou nor A&M exactly had a rich tradition of doing a damn thing in the big 12, so if you are going to be the whipping boy then I suppose it doesn't matter which conference you do it in. Although A&M did luck out this year since they skip most of the hard games except for bama because of a stupid 16 person conference schedule, and Teflon Johnny seems pretty lucky so maybe lightning will strike twice.

Quote:UT owns much of the $$ in the Big 12 they ain't running away from being the conference financial bully. Now that most of the competition has left Texas fans will be even more delusional.

Not sure what you mean that texas owns much of the money in the Big 12, they have equal revenue sharing now and Oklahoma always had as much or more money. People crying about TX in the big 12 were silly since Nebraska and OU reaped that financial windfall for many a year. We have more money because we are big, but so do other big schools throughout the NCAA. IMO we should just create a new division with less schools and put all the big schools in the same one.

What competition has left? A&M was never a contender, Nebraska hasn't been good in forever, Colorado has sucked for a long time (funny, it was Nebraska and Colorado that set up the uneven revenue sharing when the big 12 was set up, then they fell apart and started crying when it worked out for Texas), Mizzou had a few good years but wasn't a perinneal powerhouse. Shit, Tech is better than A&M most of the time.

Quote:I'd put money on by the end of the year Mack Brown will have to justify his position yet again.

He'll likely be gone if we don't do a BCS bowl this year. People tend to forget the 2 NC games and 4 bowl games and 11 10+ game winning seasons, or how bad we were for the decade or so prior to Brown (which don't exist for me since I wasn't a fan until I attended in '99).

Strife Wrote:And those Longhorn fans in Maine!

I guess when your counties have 12 people in them its not hard to dominate.
Jakensama Wrote:Not sure what you mean that texas owns much of the money in the Big 12, they have equal revenue sharing now and Oklahoma always had as much or more money. People crying about TX in the big 12 were silly since Nebraska and OU reaped that financial windfall for many a year. We have more money because we are big, but so do other big schools throughout the NCAA. IMO we should just create a new division with less schools and put all the big schools in the same one.

A lot of it is ticket sales and merchandise. Selling Texas is big money and its not just the alumni who are buying it (as shown by Strife's graph). Nebraska and OU have their own brand too but it still doesn't compare. Texas is still the big boy in the conference with OU second and who knows about third because its gotta be a big gap.

Why does it matter? Well, its sort of like professional sports. If they can spend more money on coaches, staff, buildings, equipment, then other schools will be a doormat every year because recruits are going to want the big school. Texas is practically the Yankees of the Big 12. All of that money also effects the other programs at the school since most of them are not revenue gaining sports. Then you add the media vultures to the mix. Its bad enough to listen to ESPN and conference networks because they are promoting TV ratings and mass markets vs football understanding. Big schools benefit while small schools go into the red or don't even bother hoping to suck whatever the big boys give them.
Dharus Wrote:A lot of it is ticket sales and merchandise. Selling Texas is big money and its not just the alumni who are buying it (as shown by Strife's graph). Nebraska and OU have their own brand too but it still doesn't compare. Texas is still the big boy in the conference with OU second and who knows about third because its gotta be a big gap.

Nebraska and OU made more than Texas for all but the past several years they were all in the big 12 together. You are complaining about the gap between the big teams and small teams and then pretending like Texas is the only big team, patently absurd.

Plus that profit all goes to the sports program in general (to fund all the sports noone gives a fuck about). Texas and all the big boys have better facilities than other schools, but there is only so much money can buy you.... unless you are SMU in the 80s.

Quote:Why does it matter? Well, its sort of like professional sports. If they can spend more money on coaches, staff, buildings, equipment, then other schools will be a doormat every year because recruits are going to want the big school. Texas is practically the Yankees of the Big 12. All of that money also effects the other programs at the school since most of them are not revenue gaining sports. Then you add the media vultures to the mix. Its bad enough to listen to ESPN and conference networks because they are promoting TV ratings and mass markets vs football understanding. Big schools benefit while small schools go into the red or don't even bother hoping to suck whatever the big boys give them.

Okay, and your point? Texas is no different than Bama, or Florida, or Ohio State, or USC, or A&M, or any of the other handful of profitable programs in the country (which include Notre Dame despite its annual suckitude). Hating Texas because of inequity is just as stupid as hating the Yankees because of inequity. Blame the NCAA for puting this many disparate schools in one league. Blame the MLB for not having a salary minimum and allowing owners to field terrible noncompetitive teams *cough* lastros *cough* because revenue sharing makes it profitable. Can't blame the big football schools for having lots of students and fan base.

As I said, I wholeheartedly think we should cull out Division I football to 64 or even 32 teams and ban people from playing IAA games.
Jakensama Wrote:Hating Texas because of inequity is just as stupid as hating the Yankees because of inequity.
Or the Cowboys! Smile
I don't own kid gloves.

Jakensama Wrote:Blame the NCAA for puting this many disparate schools in one league.

I don't dislike Texas. What I dislike is how Texas, Alabama, Florida, etc is used as a marketing tool to sell products. F the actual sports, its about capitalism baby. So, I do blame NCAA and shmucks who buy into the hype. I can't tell you how many football conversations I had with idiots who never went to Florida, seen many games, or knew anything beyond what ESPN was telling them. "Tim Tebow is the second coming" and I'd say he'll never make it in the NFL and they thought I was on crack. The marketing IS as bad as Fox News and MSNBC is about actual news but it sells hats and T-shirts.

Now teams I "hate":

West Virginia (Worst fans ever... if going to their stadium wear protective gear.)
University of Virginia (Rivals)
Miami (Worst bandwagon fans ever... most never made it through high school)
So do you guys think college sports players should earn a check(I mean, other than the free tuition and all that)?
I don't own kid gloves.

Strife Wrote:So do you guys think college sports players should earn a check(I mean, other than the free tuition and all that)?

Hard for me to say really. Tuition, room and board isn't to be ignored. Perhaps they should have the rights to their stuff and NCAA and company payout after they finish college (as in getting a degree)? I donno. Its hard to say when the NCAA doesn't evenly enforce its own rules and even gets caught breaking them themselves. Lot of money and corruption, some at the players expense, doesn't mean more money would solve anything.
I have absolutely no sympathy for them. They get everything paid for and a free 4 year public job interview for their new career, and if they dont make it they get a free BA. The ones that make it become millionaires shortly therafter.

As for the schools taking advantage of their work? Deal with it. As a graduate or postgrad student, every paper you write and every research project you do is property of your university. I had a published paper and didn't see a cent because it is owned by cougar high. They aren't the only one whose schools take their work product, and they are certainly the least of the people you should feel bad about if you think that is unjust.
I pretty much agree Jake... a 4 year scholarship could be well over 100k(probably on the low side). Im sure most kids that go to college would love to get free school just because they have some physical talent.
I don't own kid gloves.

Not that it matters for old Teflon Johnny. Get paid to sign 4000 things? Bad boy, sit out the first half of a game against Rice instead of sitting out the second half like you would have.
They should have picked a game that they actually had a shot at losing to sit out a half... sitting out the first half against Rice is just fucking with the point spread on that game. Currently it's sitting at 28 1/2 points... if he were playing the first half it would probably be 38 1/2+
I don't own kid gloves.

What a douchebag...

Link

Quote:First you gain a first down on an 8-yard run. And then mime your John Hancock in the air.

Then you throw your first touchdown pass. And then you show us the money.

Then you throw your third touchdown pass. And you talk trash to the Rice defense.

Then you earn your team a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. And get chewed out by Kevin Sumlin for your "stupid" actions, according to ESPN's broadcast.

Kevin Sumlin said to a sideline reporter afterward, "I hoped that at this point he'd have learned someting. That's why he wasn't going back in the game, no matter what happened."
I don't own kid gloves.

A lot of shittalking for someone heading a team that couldn't beat the spread against Rice.

Rice's running back actually looked legit too. 'bama is going to eat their fucking defense alive.
Yeah, Bama is going to eat them alive in general. Manziel seems to be a punk and its going to catch up with him. In fact, there seems to be signs that this team isn't under control. How many were suspended that game? I can see a bad loss to Bama causing an implosion to the team and probably a few more losses and a train wreck on its way.
It would be cool if Sumlin benched him again next game(not likely). Sumlin is a decent coach... but I'm sure there's pressure from the school who's making bank off Manziel to play him even if he's acting like a child.
I don't own kid gloves.

Strife Wrote:It would be cool if Sumlin benched him again next game(not likely). Sumlin is a decent coach... but I'm sure there's pressure from the school who's making bank off Manziel to play him even if he's acting like a child.

Frank Beamer's a decent coach too but that didn't stop him from giving Marcus Vick 8,000 chances before "straightening" him out. I see Manziel as the same kindof kid as Marcus. Highly hyped, got into his head, he's invincible (as most teenagers are), and starting act out without any regard to the possible downside that could happen. This is part of the problem with giving awards, especially the Heisman, to freshmen...

I'm guessing he could crash and burn like Amanda Bynes.
Can't wait for 10 years down the line when we are watching the ESPN special on the meltdown of Ryan Leaf 2
What I take this whole thread to mean, is that Texas hands out diplomas just for rooting for the team. Academics schmacademics.

/taunt Texans off.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
My wife's college(Houston Baptist University) is playing their first season of football ever... and they got beat in their first game 74-0 by Sam Houston State University. The boxscore said they made it past the 50 yard line 1 time and it took them 3 drives to get a first down...
I don't own kid gloves.

That must have been a very unique experience for Sam Houston, since they are usually on the other end of that.

They are in IAA though right? Building a program takes a while, just ask the SMU folks who had to rebuild that school from scratch.
They are joining the "Southland Conference" which shows to be a Division 1 FCA conference. They are only playing 7 games this season in a trial season and then will join the conference next year.

My wife while she was in college had a shirt that said HBU Still undefeated in Football that she thought was cute, since they didn't have a football team... I told her after we saw the score that she should add an "Until 8/31/13" to it or something.
I don't own kid gloves.