for the guy that has everything
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/07/11/how-to-make-a-survival-shotgun/">http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/07/1 ... l-shotgun/</a><!-- m -->
Not really into guns or camping, but that's pretty cool.
Adimenti Wrote:Not really into guns or camping, but that's pretty cool.
Too fucking cold to leave your house to go camping
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
in a survival scenario I'd prob opt for a magazine fed pump shotgun so you arent fumbling around with shells to reload.

A few of the add's are nice, but he put so much shit on that thing would probably weight like 15 lbs.+
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Diggles Wrote:in a survival scenario I'd prob opt for a magazine fed pump shotgun so you arent fumbling around with shells to reload.

A few of the add's are nice, but he put so much shit on that thing would probably weight like 15 lbs.+
Quote:Before the modifications, the gun weighed 7.5 pounds, after the modifications it weighs 9.5 lbs.

which prob just puts it around my old Browning 10ga goose gun.
Diggles Wrote:in a survival scenario I'd prob opt for a magazine fed pump shotgun so you arent fumbling around with shells to reload.

He said it went from 7.5 to 9.5 lbs.
I like the paracord idea.

The knife is a bit silly. I guess the idea is you always know where it is.
Slamz Wrote:I like the paracord idea.

The knife is a bit silly. I guess the idea is you always know where it is.
Oh the knife is the only silly thing?
I don't own kid gloves.

Pump shotguns are reliable. If you're using your shotgun as a boat oar and other crazy s shit I would want something reliable.
I don't own kid gloves.

Strife Wrote:

Pump shotguns are reliable. If you're using your shotgun as a boat oar and other crazy s shit I would want something reliable.

honestly if I'm going survival situation I'm gonna go with an ar platform probably .308 or something along those lines. Maybe an AK if I decide I want the most reliable with fewer options. Shotgun is nice but fuck the ammo is heavy whereas with a rifle round you lose some of the knockdown but you are much lighter and ammo is easier to carry. This shotgun is a complete novelty item.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
Strife Wrote:

There are pump shotguns that use magazines.
TinStar Wrote:honestly if I'm going survival situation I'm gonna go with an ar platform probably .308 or something along those lines. Maybe an AK if I decide I want the most reliable with fewer options. Shotgun is nice but fuck the ammo is heavy whereas with a rifle round you lose some of the knockdown but you are much lighter and ammo is easier to carry. This shotgun is a complete novelty item.
Actually I would go shotgun in a survival situation because of the versatility of the shells. There's buckshot and slugs for large game and birdshot for hunting ducks and geese and as the video mentioned you can even get novelty shells like flares if you really want as well as different barrels.

This is assuming we're talking about "wilderness survival" and not "Red Dawn".
You can put just about anything in a shotgun shell and fire it....coins, nails, rocks, glass, etc
Slamz Wrote:
TinStar Wrote:honestly if I'm going survival situation I'm gonna go with an ar platform probably .308 or something along those lines. Maybe an AK if I decide I want the most reliable with fewer options. Shotgun is nice but fuck the ammo is heavy whereas with a rifle round you lose some of the knockdown but you are much lighter and ammo is easier to carry. This shotgun is a complete novelty item.
Actually I would go shotgun in a survival situation because of the versatility of the shells. There's buckshot and slugs for large game and birdshot for hunting ducks and geese and as the video mentioned you can even get novelty shells like flares if you really want as well as different barrels.

This is assuming we're talking about "wilderness survival" and not "Red Dawn".
I'm with Tin. If it were a shtf situation and I'm traveling, I'd rather have an AR10 in .308. You could carry a 500 round box of ammo for that or maybe 100 shotgun shells for the same weight, and there's basically nothing in North America that's going to withstand a .308. If I need flares and all that shit, I'll just put it on the rail.

Diggles Wrote:
Strife Wrote:

There are pump shotguns that use magazines.
Yea well, not anything I'm going to rely on. There are some conversion kits for the mossbergs and such, but you have to have the tube anyways(otherwise what is the forend going to attach to), so you're really just adding extra weight and such from the magazine.

Diggles Wrote:You can put just about anything in a shotgun shell and fire it....coins, nails, rocks, glass, etc
Yea, there are a couple youtube channels that do this (Demolition Ranch and Taofledermaus).
I don't own kid gloves.

Strife Wrote:I'm with Tin. If it were a shtf situation and I'm traveling, I'd rather have an AR10 in .308. You could carry a 500 round box of ammo for that or maybe 100 shotgun shells for the same weight, and there's basically nothing in North America that's going to withstand a .308.

That is also kind of the problem with it as well. Survival isn't just about killing large game and people. It is about having the tools available that ensure your survival regardless of the situation.

i.e., shooting small game or birds with an AR10 isn't going to leave much meat left to cook. Assuming you can't freeze your meat or salt it you may have to settle for small game rather than large which is more practical in a survival situation. This is assuming you can even hit small game with an AR10. Have you ever hunted birds with an assault rifle? Unless you are hunting turkey shooting birds with an AR10 is like tossing coins in the air to shoot them with your Glock.
Vllad Wrote:
Strife Wrote:I'm with Tin. If it were a shtf situation and I'm traveling, I'd rather have an AR10 in .308. You could carry a 500 round box of ammo for that or maybe 100 shotgun shells for the same weight, and there's basically nothing in North America that's going to withstand a .308.

That is also kind of the problem with it as well. Survival isn't just about killing large game and people. It is about having the tools available that ensure your survival regardless of the situation.

i.e., shooting small game or birds with an AR10 isn't going to leave much meat left to cook. Assuming you can't freeze your meat or salt it you may have to settle for small game rather than large which is more practical in a survival situation. This is assuming you can even hit small game with an AR10. Have you ever hunted birds with an assault rifle? Unless you are hunting turkey shooting birds with an AR10 is like tossing coins in the air to shoot them with your Glock.

I completely get that, but you can trap most small game and honestly outside of birds, you can kill most small game with larger caliber rifles and save most of the meat. Even with iron sights people have pretty good accuracy even out to 100 yards. (obviously you know this)Yeah killing a rabbit at 30 yards with a shotgun is doable, but it's also doable with an ar. Yeah you may blow the head completely off or waste meat but it's not like you are going to go without. I would much rather have a pack with flares/fire/etc than consider the possibility of being able to find all of the shotgun rounds that this guy is counting on and then having to carry them. Also in any of these situations most likely you are going to be with a group of people so you shouldn't have any issues of wasting any meat. On top of that I would have a pack of some sort(I mean this is all make believe for the most part anyways right?) which would have the key essentials of fire, cordage, containers, flares, knife, wound care etc.

Just curious. Anyone here actually have a survival (or SHTF) pack? I have considered it just for the hell of it but I can't get over the fact that there is almost no situation where I would need it, and if I did need it, would I even have access to it?
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
TinStar Wrote:I completely get that, but you can trap most small game and honestly outside of birds, you can kill most small game with larger caliber rifles and save most of the meat.

You can also kill other people and take their food.
Jakensama Wrote:
TinStar Wrote:I completely get that, but you can trap most small game and honestly outside of birds, you can kill most small game with larger caliber rifles and save most of the meat.

You can also kill other people and take their food.

Maybe you could, but I couldn't..
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
TinStar Wrote:Just curious. Anyone here actually have a survival (or SHTF) pack? I have considered it just for the hell of it but I can't get over the fact that there is almost no situation where I would need it, and if I did need it, would I even have access to it?

I used to back in the Cold War days but not anymore.

I don't believe in Zombies and goverment today has so many fail safe's that the need for survival just doesn't mean anything anymore. The worst things I will live through in my lifetime is Katrina and the LA riots from an extreme domestic situation. If I learned anything from those situations is that survival kits aren't really required.

With the world as it is now the things that we need to protect against either totally whipe us out or they really won't have much of a dent against modern society. About the last thing left is some kind of super virus that kills off most of the population. Since I travel so much I would go first so...

Besides at my age you can't run anymore so you get used to the fact that every fight is a fight to the death.
Ya survival now is having water and enough gas to keep the ac running.
I don't own kid gloves.

Tell that to this guy.

[Image: castaway-tom-hanks.jpeg]
Adimenti Wrote:Tell that to this guy.

[Image: castaway-tom-hanks.jpeg]
I'm sure Tom Hanks has gas and ac
I don't own kid gloves.

i live in IL. deer hunting is shotgun only, no rifles. I have some bigger guns .243, .338 but everybody here has .12ga ammo. there is prob an old box in about every 4th home. plus i have a .12ga reloader.

the only problem i really have with the .308 idea is availability of ammo in a necessary situation. i don't even think the local wal-mart carries it and i am not going to stock pile it when i can't use it.
I've never hunted deer with a shotgun - always used my 30-06.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
bonestomper Wrote:i live in IL. deer hunting is shotgun only, no rifles. I have some bigger guns .243, .338 but everybody here has .12ga ammo. there is prob an old box in about every 4th home. plus i have a .12ga reloader.

the only problem i really have with the .308 idea is availability of ammo in a necessary situation. i don't even think the local wal-mart carries it and i am not going to stock pile it when i can't use it.

I think that's an awesome point especially about being able to raid ammo, but do you think you could actually get it? I mean.. Doesn't everyone in IL have a 12 ga? Supply may be high but so would demand. Look at .22lr ammo right now. Reloading is only as good as the supplies and you aren't going to find reloading supplies everywhere. I would consider a survival situation like this as what you actually have on you is what you have to survive so obviously getting the appropriate ammo before the end of civilization would be key..

Did you say .243 as "bigger guns"? hah! Although I guess .243 would be sufficient as long as you aren't out killing bears..

Zirak Wrote:I've never hunted deer with a shotgun - always used my 30-06.
I have killed deer with 12ga (buckshot), 20ga (buckshot) and bow (arrow). But then again I only hunted as a kid and my parents didn't want a 12yo walking around with a .270 *shrug*
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33