How to secure gun but stay ready for defense
Anyone have any suggestions on how go about doing this? I dont much about safety in this aspect. The only thing I've really seen is a trigger guard lock, which requires a key...which you'd be fumbling for around in the dark, or worse, not able to remember or have to run TOWARD the door to get...not ideal.

Bottomline: I have a loaded revolver for home/self-defense and dont want GF or maintenance person in my house accidentally setting it off, but I want it to be ready if its needed within 5 seconds.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Here are the two options that I used for loaded self defense handguns.

I have this one mounted on the wall right next to my bed.. http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes/speedvault.html/
You can get it with a numeric keypad or the biometric (fingerprint scanner). I purchased the keypad on this one as I was worried about the accuracy of the biometric. This one is nice because the gun drops down and you can trim the foam around the gun to fit a scope or really any sized pistol. I have a full size 9mm in it with a light and it fit great. Unless you have like a .500 or something crazy it will hold the gun fine. It does make a little noise when opening but not much.

I have this one in my desk in the office http://www.gunvault.com/microvault-biome...vb500.html This one I do actually have the biometric as it's in my office desk and I wouldn't typically be fumbling around in the dark if I needed to access it quickly. The biometric works pretty well and is nice because I have my fingerprint as well as my wife's and we are literally the only people who can open it without the key (which is locked up in my main gun safe). Gunvault makes quality products and I have been pretty happy with both of my safes from them. This safe comes with a cable lock as well so if you are concerned about someone stealing the safe you can mount it to the furniture or under a seat of a car and feel pretty good about them not running off with it.

There are some other pretty cool products out there depending on where you want the gun. Something like this is good if you are wanting to hide it somewhere in the open but honestly I don't consider these an option from keeping people who know where the gun is from getting to it https://tacticalwalls.com/shop/1410m-bundle/

There are a bunch of options in safes that are similar to the safe I keep in my office that you can find at pretty much any sporting goods store and you can get them for around $100.(http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sentry-s...=838464442 I bought one of these for my father in law and it is pretty nice. Not as quality as the Gunvault but also much cheaper and it opens fully on its own) One thing I would consider with them is where you are going to put it because if you put it in a drawer, some of the lids automatically open completely and some of them don't. The gunvault microvault unlocks and opens slightly but you have to manually open it more to get the gun, which I personally like because if it opened completely on it's own it would hit the top of the desk drawer.

Hope this helps. I would definitely stay away from a trigger guard. Go to a gander mountain or any hunting/sporting goods store and they should have at least a couple options. If you wanted something super cheap that works you could even do something like this http://www.gunvault.com/nano-vault-300-nv300.html. I have one of these in my truck. The only real issue for your use on this is if you are fumbling in the dark you have to put a 3 digit combination and turn the knob.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
I second what Tin said about the Gun Vault branded safes, and have the same two that he has. I have the MVB500 in my night stand drawer and I have the speedvault under my computer desk. Both can be accessed in the dark with a little bit of practice. The only issue with the speedvault is it needs to be screwed into something(side of a night stand, wall, desk etc), where the MVB500 can just sit in a drawer or on top of a night stand or something.

Shop around for them though, you can get them cheaper other places. I think I got my speedvault(SV 500 combination) for $130 and the mvb500(biometric) for like 160.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
good info, thanks Tin.

I like the idea of a keypad, especially if it was backlit. I'll go take a look.
Keep it in Plaixco Burress' jeans..
Diggles Wrote:good info, thanks Tin.

I like the idea of a keypad, especially if it was backlit. I'll go take a look.

Well. none of these safes I have mentioned are backlit. They all have keypads that you can feel the buttons. I can open any of these safes with my eyes closed. There are only 4 buttons and they are in 2 rows of 2 so you can easily figure out which button is 1 2 3 4 etc. The thing about backlighting is these safes are all designed to be quiet and dark so if someone gets into your house, you can open it without the intruder really knowing you are there.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
Has the biometric method failed you, yet? Does it take a deliberate and steady imprint to release? I am thinking realistically that you might be fumbling around a bit in an emergency and to what degree the biometric safe will work with a nervous hand touching the pad.
Mine has taken me a couple swipes before to get it to open, but then again, so has the combination(due to me screwing it up). I'm still not real sold on biometric locks in general, as they are a little sketchy at times, but so far with this one it's been pretty reliable. I don't open it up much(it's in my nightstand and not my carry gun), so I don't really mess with it too much, but I try to open it at least once a month and usually get it on the first try w/out any issues.

I wouldn't say it takes a deliberate and steady imprint to release, it requires a "swipe" (the sensor isn't big enough for a full print on the gunvaults) to get it to open. The front of the safe(at least the one I have) has 4 indentions for all 4 of your fingers, only the pointer finger has the imprint sensor, you put your finger on the button that starts the swipe, press the button and then swipe your finger down and it opens. It's been pretty good even when I do the swipe quickly.
I don't own kid gloves.

Robert the tech millionaire from Sharktank once did a good ballbusting about biometrics, in particular fingerprint scanners. So I dont plan on ever using them, especially for something this important. He basically said you cant get a decent 95% higher or better reliability without spending 50k
I don't really blame you diggles.
I don't own kid gloves.

Kiefer Wrote:Has the biometric method failed you, yet? Does it take a deliberate and steady imprint to release? I am thinking realistically that you might be fumbling around a bit in an emergency and to what degree the biometric safe will work with a nervous hand touching the pad.
Did some testing for you. As you can see, when I tried to go really fast, it failed.

I've only had to open it one time in "distress" and I got it open on the first try. The distress came when my sensor on my door was having issues and it caused my alarm to go off at like 3 AM.

If I were buying another, I'd probably not go for the biometric(they are more expensive as well), but I am not worried about it failing if I ever need it to work... at least not any more worried than I would be with any other sort of lock. Hornady has one now that takes a combination as well as an RFID bracelet or keyfob, but I wouldn't be willing to have something that my kids could pick up and open the safe with lying around, so not real keen on that one.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMafks53UQM[/youtube]
I don't own kid gloves.

The thing about the biometric that I think is a pretty much necessity is when you are programming it to accept your fingerprint, program your finger as many times as it will let you. I literally programmed my fingerprint 20 or 30 times and I would rotate my finger just a bit more to the side every time as well. I also programmed my index finger on both hands. I would say that mine opens about 80% of the time on the first try and 100% of the time within 3 tries. So I think that's pretty damn good for the price that I paid for it, but I did move that safe to my office and my bedside safe is now a 4 digit combination. I really like the 4 button combination safes better as you don't have to get overly creative with the combination to keep your kids out of the safe and all of these safes have a max number of tries before they go on lockdown and can't be opened. Also, a lot of them when you go in and enter a correct combination on the safe, if someone has entered an incorrect combination there is some sort of warning (the light may blink a different color, or beep in a different pattern) so you know if one of your kids has been jacking with it.

Diggles. What did you decide on? (Or have you?)
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33