Geektastic Movies for 2015
BOOM! A bastard sword lightsaber!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE[/youtube]
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
I remember seeing the first trailer for Episode 1 in 1998, and it was awesome. Which just made the fact that the film itself was a crushing disappointment even worse. Smile Hoping that JJ doesn't do that to us next year..

Looks good so far, though. Stormtroopers! X-Wings! Tie Fighters! The Falcon! Original cast! Everything the fans could ask for. He couldn't screw things up with all that...right...?
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
That sword is really fucking stupid looking, apparently the new sith lord is a highlander.
Jakensama Wrote:That sword is really fucking stupid looking
Ya and makes no sense...

There are a lot of videos making fun of it.
I don't own kid gloves.

Has their ever been anything good about Star Wars?
The Knights of the Old Republic CRPG, it showed that the univese could be okay if it was given to some game makers who had some idea of how to construct a decent narrative instead of George Lucas.
Vllad Wrote:Has their ever been anything good about Star Wars?

Much more gray area in Starwars and far more interesting than the black/white of StarTrek universe. Like comparing Marvel to DC.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Diggles Wrote:

Much more gray area in Starwars and far more interesting than the black/white of StarTrek universe. Like comparing Marvel to DC.

Ok, I can see that but has anything ever been good about Starwars? 1 average movie of the 6 that were made. The clone war stuff makes no sense and has unexplained plots plus numerous failed computer games.

The entire Starwars franchise is one poor product after another but people continue to spend millions/billions of dollars on it. I guess I just don't get the appeal.

What is it about Starwars that captivates people? I truly don't understand.
It's better than star trek!
I don't own kid gloves.

Vllad Wrote:
Diggles Wrote:

Ok, I can see that but has anything ever been good about Starwars? 1 average movie of the 6 that were made. The clone war stuff makes no sense and has unexplained plots plus numerous failed computer games.

The entire Starwars franchise is one poor product after another but people continue to spend millions/billions of dollars on it. I guess I just don't get the appeal.

What is it about Starwars that captivates people? I truly don't understand.

LOL, nice trolling. Its widely accepted that Empire Strikes Back is THE BEST SEQUEL ever created to date. Sorry you dont understand a pretty simple plot of the prequels, maybe read the wiki or re-watch them. All original are great movies and Revenge of the Sith is above average. Compared to Startrek that has made all of 1 Great movie (Wrath of Khan) and maybe 1 GOOD movie (4 voyage home) with the rest being MORE awful than ANY starwars movie, including Phantom Menance.

EDIT: Forgot that StarTrek First Contact was a GOOD movie. That means only 3/12 movies didnt suck?
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Lol. Most of the Star Trek movies were bad but there were only 2 Star Wars movies that were above average films - V and VI - and honestly they are really mostly just childhood nostalgia. Supplement that with a mountain of hack sci fi fan fiction (the EU). Its a mildly interesting setting, but the movies are not all that great.

As for best sequel ever - I think most people consider that to be Godfather 2. In the sci fi genre both Terminator 2 and Aliens were better sequels..
Jakensama Wrote:Lol. Most of the Star Trek movies were bad but there were only 2 Star Wars movies that were above average films - V and VI - and honestly they are really mostly just childhood nostalgia. Supplement that with a mountain of hack sci fi fan fiction (the EU). Its a mildly interesting setting, but the movies are not all that great.

As for best sequel ever - I think most people consider that to be Godfather 2. In the sci fi genre both Terminator 2 and Aliens were better sequels..

Don't forget Toy Story 2.

Honestly... I think it's almost all childhood nostalgia. I mean I like Star Wars as much as the next guy and am anxiously awaiting VII to hit theaters but what makes them great movies? I can say for certain that the biggest wow moment I had in any Star Wars movie, was the first Yoda fight scene.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
I still find it hilarious that my little nephews all like the first 3 movies (including the stinker that was episode I) better than the old one.. Kinda kicks in how much of it was nostalgia.
Of course a lot of it is nostalgia... you're talking about a sci fi movie made before CGI had the technology to be useful. But at least Star Wars wasn't laughably bad, you can't say that for Star Trek.
I don't own kid gloves.

Strife Wrote:Of course a lot of it is nostalgia... you're talking about a sci fi movie made before CGI had the technology to be useful. But at least Star Wars wasn't laughably bad, you can't say that for Star Trek.

No one here is really promoting Star Trek. However if the best thing you can say about Starwars is it is better than Star Trek then that isn't saying much.
It's also better than the original battlestar galactica series...
Hey now, I like the original Star Trek tv series as well as the even numbered movies based on the original series. The Next Generation tv series was largely good as was DS9. Granted just about every one of the Next Generation movies was a stinker.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
Star Wars ep 4-6 was kinda like Everquest: flawed, but released in an era where it was the best thing of its type in existence. You wanted to love it partially because you could see the potential, despite the flaws. (Epic 3 part movies! Playing online with hundreds of people!) Not many people would understand why we liked Everquest so much, but at the time, it made perfect sense. It was the best there was of a new type of game.

Star Wars ep 1-3 was kinda like GW2: still flawed, but a little more refined in some ways and generally updated to appeal better to more modern audiences. And again, it was better than a lot of alternatives within the same genre. In a world of shitty MMORPGs, GW2 comes across as worth checking out. In a world of shitty sci-fi movies, Ep 1-3 come across as worth watching.

So it's not that Star Wars is great, any more than Everquest or GW2 were great. But it has a lasting appeal as a concept because it exists in a near-void. Really good production-quality sci-fi that isn't totally braindead is hard to find.

Ditto for Star Trek in general, really. The TV shows survived not necessarily because they are the best we can imagine, but because "the best sci-fi television series ever made" is a pretty low bar. If you really like sci-fi, you like Star Wars and Star Trek if only due to a lack of alternatives.
Vllad Wrote:
Strife Wrote:Of course a lot of it is nostalgia... you're talking about a sci fi movie made before CGI had the technology to be useful. But at least Star Wars wasn't laughably bad, you can't say that for Star Trek.

No one here is really promoting Star Trek. However if the best thing you can say about Starwars is it is better than Star Trek then that isn't saying much.
Most people who are old and bash star wars are star trek fans. You fit both of those so...
I don't own kid gloves.

Strife Wrote:Most people who are old and bash star wars are star trek fans. You fit both of those so...

I didn't know that. So Starwars is a youth thing? I find that a bit odd since the first movie came out in 77 but at least it is some explenation. I have always looked at Starwars and its fans and just never got it.

I am capable of chalking it up along the likes of "Social Media" of things that is beyond my comprehension.
Vllad Wrote:
Strife Wrote:Most people who are old and bash star wars are star trek fans. You fit both of those so...

I didn't know that. So Starwars is a youth thing? I find that a bit odd since the first movie came out in 77 but at least it is some explenation. I have always looked at Starwars and its fans and just never got it.

I am capable of chalking it up along the likes of "Social Media" of things that is beyond my comprehension.

Yeah but my son (t years old) loves Star Wars because it is being sold to kids these days through "Clone Wars" and now "Star Wars Rebels" cartoons.. My son likes Star Wars in the same ways that he likes Spiderman, Iron Man and Captain America. He has no idea what Star Trek is.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
TinStar Wrote:He has no idea what Star Trek is.
You have failed in your duty as a parent.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
Zirak Wrote:
TinStar Wrote:He has no idea what Star Trek is.
You have failed in your duty as a parent.

No way dude. If my kid didn't know what baseball is I would have failed as a parent. In all honesty I don't really care what sci-fi movies/shows my kids are aware of. But it speaks to what the people who own Star Trek and the people who own Disney have done to prolong the success of their franchise. Marvel/Star Wars/ Disney dominate kids these days. Star Trek doesn't relate to kids as well and they don't do near as good of a job promoting it to the younger generation.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
Star Trek was never really aimed at kids like Star Wars was anyway, so it's not shocking. I didn't know what it was until High School pretty much, and that was only because re-runs of TNG were on all the time. Had it not been for DS9 being the only good show in the franchise, I would have largely forgot about it.

If they thought their brand appealed to ankle biters they would have pulled out more childrens cartoons like Star Wars, but lets face it - Roddenberry's lame tree hugger version of the future isn't as exciting to kid's as space wizards with laser swords.
Yeah I agree with that. I was talking in regards to Vllad's comment about Star Wars being a youth thing. Yeah, even though it came out before most of us were born (at least before I was born), they still target a younger audience which is why Star Wars will live on a lot longer than Star Trek. It's just good marketing. The whole idea is to keep adding to your audience and the best way to do that is to get em' young and keep em'.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33