Windows 10 upgrade
So, Microsoft seems to be offering a free windows 10 upgrade (it popped up on my system like an update) You have to reserve it, and then you get a free upgrade.

Anyone know anything about this? Seems fishy. If it's not fishy, any buzz on windows 10? I'm running 7 right now, and it seems stable. Just curious on anyone else's inside info......
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
I noticed this this morning as well. I hadn't even heard it was coming up.
Gameless (for now)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/">http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/how-to-rese ... indows-10/</a><!-- m -->
ESO - Rallick of Purge (Sorceror) - The Purge (and various others)
RIFT - Rallock (Cleric) - Virus (Deepwood)
WAR - Rallick (ArchMage) - The Purge
WoW - Rallick/Mootendo - The Purge
EQ - Nintelten <Defiant>
Skelas Wrote:So, Microsoft seems to be offering a free windows 10 upgrade (it popped up on my system like an update) You have to reserve it, and then you get a free upgrade.

Anyone know anything about this? Seems fishy. If it's not fishy, any buzz on windows 10? I'm running 7 right now, and it seems stable. Just curious on anyone else's inside info......

It's not fishy, they've announced its a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users (for a limited time) for a while now. I'll probably do it. The only gripe with Windows 8 was the stupid tablet focused start screen (which was easily removed with a third party program) - and apparently the start menu is back in windows 10.
Whenever anyone wants to give me something for free, my natural response is "That's odd, what do they want" Hence the post.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Understandable, Ma Skelas sure didn't like to give anything away for free...
I think the bottom line is that Microsoft is finally waking up to the fact that they are in trouble. They've lost way too much ground to Android devices in particular and they need to get their ass back in gear and nobody particularly liked Windows 8 or 8.1. Microsoft's forays into the mobile market failed, too.

I think what we'll see in the future is:
- Microsoft products will generally be released as multi-platform products capable of running on Macs and Android devices where applicable.
- Microsoft will try to push a Windows app store similar to the Google Play store that gives Microsoft a cut of the proceeds. This is basically what Windows 8 was trying to do but in a ham-fisted manner.

I also personally think Windows itself may eventually just be free. Microsoft's money is in patents and technology, not selling you an OS every 5 years.

I think it's basically the same as the mindset behind Microsoft's long-standing push for DirectX. They develop this awesome toolset that makes it significantly easier to develop complex graphics for Windows machines and they let everyone use it without requiring any kind of licensing agreement. Games made with DirectX are not paying anything to Microsoft. The idea is that Microsoft just wants you in the Microsoft habitat, where they have some potential for getting money from you, and not some other one where they have no chance at all.

I think the future of Windows as an operating system is starting to come into question now and Microsoft sees this giveaway as a way to play both sides: if they can keep you on Windows, they'd like that. If that fails, the backup plan will be more multi-platform releases of other Microsoft products.

I don't think this is a bait-and-switch.
Does anyone have any experience with Windows 10?
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
the fact that the upgrade is 'free' for 'a limited time' makes me suspicious. I cannot tell whether they are doing this simply because they want to encourage adoption to make their numbers look good, or because they expect people to resist the upgrade due to costs (visible or hidden).

I have seen reports that compatibility with previous versions has been poor, but it's unclear from these whether we can expect problems with the production release.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
I dont like being forced on a time-table to upgrade to the bleeding edge or lose my upgrade chance.
I suppose I'll try it, since I'll need to learn it for work anyhow...if it blows just format c: and reinstall 7 fresh

it cant be as bad as vista or 8
[should not have shot the dolphin]
What's bad about 8 other than the stupid touch screen opening screen that you have to remove? Is the performance worse than 7?
Jakensama Wrote:What's bad about 8 other than the stupid touch screen opening screen that you have to remove? Is the performance worse than 7?

interface is awful, including things moved that didnt need to be changed. common settings require twice as much work to get to and are unnecessarily hidden
7's system backup feature is far better than the shit 'file history' crap that 8 tries. no easy way to backup folders onto externals quickly and easily without 3rd party software
the fact that I have to go thru and change file associations on common types like pdfs & images so they dont open in those dumbfuck apps
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Jakensama Wrote:What's bad about 8 other than the stupid touch screen opening screen that you have to remove? Is the performance worse than 7?
I had no problems with it. There was a little bit of a learning curve and then a little bit of configuration(Like Diggles mentions pointing PDF's at their non-tablet PDF Viewer as an example).

I've been using W8 since it came out and after the initial learning curve, I've had no problems with it.

Snowreap Wrote:the fact that the upgrade is 'free' for 'a limited time' makes me suspicious.
It's free for a year, they are just allowing themselves to charge for it in the future.

Quote:I cannot tell whether they are doing this simply because they want to encourage adoption to make their numbers look good, or because they expect people to resist the upgrade due to costs (visible or hidden).
Of course they want to encourage adoption. They want people to get off Windows 7 and onto their latest version so they can sell advertising on bing(Windows 10 will use Cortana which is bing centered)

Diggles Wrote:I don't like being forced on a time-table to upgrade to the bleeding edge or lose my upgrade chance.
I suppose I'll try it, since I'll need to learn it for work anyhow...if it blows just format c: and reinstall 7 fresh

it cant be as bad as vista or 8
You have a year to figure it out. And I'm guessing you can get your Windows key and sit on it and install it again whenever.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
So.

Anyone tried 10 yet? Done gaming with it? How went your upgrade?
I upgraded to Windows 10 and it seems to be working pretty well. No issues gaming with it at all. The only issue I am having is that when I send/open/save documents that I have received through e-mail, I am getting an error most of the time (with word and excel). Also some people are unable to open my attachments. I haven't had any problems opening them through google docs though but it's been a royal pain in the ass for me. But the upgrade was pretty easy and I am liking the new web browser ok as well. I still use chrome for most things but it's nice to have an alternative as well.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
I upgraded and am very happy with it. The only issue I had was running Andy, which was because the virtual box software it uses needed an update. Once I patched that, everything ran fine.

I'm 100% happy with it... But then again, I was able to use Windows 8 with no issues as well.

The start menu coming back is nice though.

I haven't used edge much but the little I did use it seemed to work pretty fast.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
I ended up reverting back to Windows 7.

My Wireless Network Adapter ended up being incompatible with Windows 10. I bought a new one so it wasn't that big a deal.

But then my audio drivers kept flaking out and my microphone wouldn't work on my headset. It would work for a bit then stop. It would take 2 or 3 re-installs of the drivers to get it to work again then it would flake out at some point.

Rather than continue to futz with it I just reverted.

But I did actually like it while I had it.

Too many games to fit in signature....
I upgraded as well and it doesn't really feel much different at all from Windows 7. For the normal user it shouldn't be a big deal.
ESO - Rallick of Purge (Sorceror) - The Purge (and various others)
RIFT - Rallock (Cleric) - Virus (Deepwood)
WAR - Rallick (ArchMage) - The Purge
WoW - Rallick/Mootendo - The Purge
EQ - Nintelten <Defiant>
The Anniversary Update (service Pack) borked my comp. It didn't even fully install and kept getting stuck at 83%. Also you have to do stuff to enable a safe mode bootup. There is like a 200 millisecond or less window to mash the F8 key during Windows bootup to get it to boot in safe mode.

I had to get my brother to make a backup boot drive for me. I used that to roll back the changes since I couldn't BOOT INTO FUCKING SAFE MODE!

Apparently Microsuck has had lots of problems with upgrades getting stuck. You can always use your hand dandy install disk to roll back changes... Ohhhh wait... You don't have one. Sorry your shit outta luck.

Or you could boot into safe mode with F8... Ohhh wait you CAN'T. Cunts...
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.techanges.com/enable-f8-safe-mode-boot-menu-in-windows-10/">http://www.techanges.com/enable-f8-safe ... indows-10/</a><!-- m -->

correct command is: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

(without space between “/” and “set”)

Undo is: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

You need to do this BEFORE your computer gets borked.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!