Orsun turns into a giddy little school kid
many of you probably don't care too much about this, but in the off chance some do...

We went out in search of dolphin (mahi-mahi) yesterday. Just couldn't put anything together despite a great deal of preparation etc. Started out 10 miles offshore, and just worked our way in. Our last ditch effort to save that day was to drift between 150-180ft depth and just put as many live pilchards out as we could.

We were in 150ft, and on the verge of pure depression, when 30 ft from the stern, what we thought was a HUGE sailfish (just with his sail down) cleared the water in one huge jump.

We all came out of our funk instantly of course and we proceeded to fight this 7+ footer to boat-side on my little penn spinfisher v 4500 rod/reel combo I use for bass (20lb braid, 30lb fluro leader, size 1 hook). When we got him in close we realized he was a young blue marlin, which explained what our eyes could see (size, coloring, pointed dorsal, etc.) but what our brains just couldn't fathom.

Apologies in advance for the video, very shakey, piss poor quality, and I completely lost it seeing this thing go NUTS, so volume might need some adjusting. I wasn't really paying attention to the video, I was mostly in total AWE.

Anyway - crazy friggin' day that I'm still shaking my head in awe over.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h35EXGj07vM[/youtube]
Gameless (for now)
3:43 Climax. I've caught bigger in my bathtub. Get on Steam.
I was hoping to catch a glimpse of what kind of shorts you were wearing.

no homo.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Aren't you breaking some kind of Florida boating law by not having at least one bikini clad woman on your boat?
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher
I'm assuming you caught it? no video of the fish out of water w/you holding it?
[should not have shot the dolphin]
leader-touch next to the boat. Would have loved a photo holding it, but no luck on that part. It slashed the line with its bill right at the end of the video. Next time we'll keep the line across its back and away from the bill. It is kind of one of those things no amount of theory can prepare you for, you just have to have the experience to be able to make everything go right. Would have loved some boat side photos, but that's the way it works with marlin.

My only true regret was not capturing the moment when we realized it was a marlin - the number of times I call this a sailfish (especially with the degree of conviction I had) makes me sound like a total novice, so that would have been at least a little redemption.
Gameless (for now)
O-man, you know I love you but I am starting to hate you. this is how I dress during deer season.
[Image: IMG_20141121_160530_zpsmvve5xvi.jpg]
and like this when it is cold
[Image: IMG_20140117_072828_zpsf771e702.jpg]
Very neat, Nick. Btw, keep the damn boat in neutral.
Waeloga-"Flab is my idol"
[Image: 12072737_864179526983998_111541830416357...e=568AE01A]
Gameless (for now)
What a slimy looking customer. Oh, and nice fish too.
Zirak / Thanoslug in lots of MMOs
[Image: homicidal.jpg]
"Consensus: The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead." -Margaret Thatcher