When labor is the "Currency" of a MMO
Even if folks don't admit it.

I come at this from a Pirates of the Burning Sea (PotBS) perspective (big surprise, lol).
Labor is the only feature in the PotBS economy that is fixed. Most players bypass this by creating multiple accounts and this is made even easier with a Free-to-Play game that provides so much for free.

My thoughts on the matter are:

What if the labor "cost" was tied to the number of accounts active in the game? Say the population activity was measured and averaged every month. The number of active accounts would directly impact the labor cost. In reverse to what one would expect, though. More players would raise the labor cost, while less players would lower the labor cost.

So, if a particular item requires five raw structures to fully operate a processing structure. It would require ten raw goods structures to produce for one processing structure when player population was up, but maybe require only three when player population was down.

Sort of an overflow gate feature to minimize the ability of solo players to vertically integrate their operations when there are ample players provide the supply, but also to allow solo players to supply more when population is down. The month to month adjustment would ensure a certain consistency to pricing schemes for players, while also adding another element to the economy so folks will need to pay attention to labor costs/hours.

I suspect this will only be appreciated by those who have played PotBS and its sole player crafting monopolies.

Just brainstormed this up this afternoon. Please provide the Purge treatment, 8).
By doing this you would probably end up with a worse game. They can barely get basic game mechanices to work properly let alone setting up a game to adapt to server population. If they got it to work I would bet they probably skipped on some of the basics like making the PVP actually fun.

Plus all games are designed with the assumed premise that they are at maximum population. No one designs a game with free to play and server consolidations in mind.

Your idea assumes they are programing for failure before they even release a product.

If I was on the companies board and the coders told me this idea I was ask one question. So you think this product is going to fail right out of the gate? Regardless of the answer I would question any further investment into such a product.

I really love the idea of server dynamics but I don't think we will see that in my lifetime.
You can and could see dynamic servers that adjust things based on population on a small scale server. Games that have server populations from 1-64, adjust things all the time. Granted these adjustments are normally done by someone running the server that plays the game. This can mean these adjustments are beneficial or they may just be arbitrarily done. It depends on the server community to control such things.

Also certain games adjust various factors in "faction" based games in order to balance the factions in play. The faction that has the lowest population normally gets some kind of bonus to even out things and encourage more players to choose that side. I have seen these bonuses in various large scale MMOs.

So it really depends on what your looking for in dynamic game play. If you are just looking for something that encourages balanced sides in a pvp game, various iterations of those mechanics already exist.

If you want adjustable and balanced in game economic models... Well good luck with that.

The best way I have found to get a better and more balanced economy in a game is to get more players involved in said economy. If this is a faction based game, that means opening up the economies of each faction to the other factions. If that doesn't apply or has already happened, then the best hope is to just get more players to play the game. Whatever adjustments or future expansions you plan for the game, should be based around appeasing your current subscribers while also trying to bring in new or old players.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Zouji Wrote:So it really depends on what your looking for in dynamic game play.

Just look at the other threads in this section.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://thepurge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10331">viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10331</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://thepurge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10332">viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10332</a><!-- l -->

These are examples of dynamic worlds that could work but designers are reluctant to execute on.