Noobcake? Here's How to Get Started.
SWGOH is a Freemium game, meaning you can play it for free (F2P) or pay(P2P) to buy crystals to speed progress up. It is VERY forgiving for F2P players! You really don't need to spend money on this game. But you need to play smartly then, and preserve your crystal consumption. Here's some tips:

1.) NEVER, and I mean NEVER, buy Chromium Packs. They are the biggest waste of crystals. It's random, you can't control who you will get, and there are some characters that are Chromium only so they only way to make them viable is to keep buying chromium packs until they get to 7*.

2.) The best use of crystals are the 100 refreshes of cantina energy and the 50 refreshes of Light/Dark battles. This lets you focus on specific characters to farm their shards.

3.) Focus on a small group of characters. Do not keep leveling and promoting all of them. Credits become a huge bottleneck at high levels, so preserve your cash. Only upgrade viable characters! Check my other sticky on what the best character options are for each section of the game.

4.) Brand new to the game? Cantina Battles will unlock after Light and Dark Battles. Complete up to 1-E and start farming the heck out of Lando. Spend cantina currency on QuiGon Jin. When arenas unlock, spend your currency on STHan. When Galactic War unlocks, get a decent Luminara, to say 4 or 5 stars, then switch to Phasma.

5.) You should always be working on a good scoundrel team whenever you can. Lando, Boba Fett and STHan are definites. IG88 and Greedo are in Arena shards. There is a credit heist event that launches every 6-10 days and the credit reward is huge.
I've also heard that the first character that you get from your free chromium pack at level 4 can be Rey, so people keep restarting the tutorial until they get Rey from that pack. Having Rey early in arena on a new shard, you would just crush shit.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Sounds like an urban legend. I have had to run through the tut 8 times now playing on new devices. Always gotbchewy
The energy buying option means steady income of gear and training droids as well as fast growth through xp. The benefits reach farther then having chars you can farm reliably.

As a rule. Char shards drop from nodes at a chance of 1 in 3. Higher energy nodes dont drop more char shards. They do drop more gear, money and training droids.
Skelas Wrote:I've also heard that the first character that you get from your free chromium pack at level 4 can be Rey, so people keep restarting the tutorial until they get Rey from that pack. Having Rey early in arena on a new shard, you would just crush shit.

I've never heard of this, but I have seen people using that first glut of crystals on chromium and restarting until they get a solid character.