Rav's guide to fleet arena
From what I can tell the single most important component of a ship is its pilot. A fully geared, max level 7* pilot with max lvl mk5 mods makes up to 9k of the ship’s power. When choosing which ships to perue, also consider how you will develop their pilots.
I Use Ackbar as my admiral, was the best char I had at the time. I think Mace is probably the best admiral in the game but I won’t be writing about strategies that involve him as I have very little first-hand experience.

Lvl’ing shipps is hard work. The currency is scarce and they eat up loads of it. It’s best to give priority to adding stars to your ships over sinking cash in their lvl if you have to choose. Stars increase the pilot contribution, which we discussed is significant. When lvl’ing look at what squad you use. Don’t sink everything into one ship as higher lvls cost more, most bang for buck is probably in keeping the shipps you use on near-even footing. You can have 5 lvl 70 ships, or one lvl 85 one.
The next most important part of a ship is it’s skill package. I cannot stress enough how important it is to study this. Not just read, study. You have to know by heart which ship inflicts target lock with which attack, and what benefits what skill take from target lock.

Skill use in battle is what most of your strategy will come to. There is a lot of synergy to be had from even a small pool of ships. I use Biggs a lot, personally. With biggs its all about landing target lock on someone. Every time that happens he taunts and regains protection. The job of the rest of the squad then becomes killing of the enemy, keeping biggs alive either with buffs and healing, or by landing target lock on enemy ships. Note that for some glitch reason, his ability sometimes fails to trigger for no reason. I hope that will be fixed soon, but even with it being less then 100% reliable the strat works for me.

In my case the shipps capable of landing target lock and are fieldable are: Clone sarge (with his basic), resistance pilot (with special), and biggs himself with basic (only on crit). It’s worth noting that the endurance with mace can also inflict target lock.
The way this works is that the enemy has no choice but to fire on tough old biggs “meatshield” darklighter, while my squishier ships obliterate him. Also when it’s rolling Biggs keeps healing up his protection staying in the fight, sometimes till the end.

To make that work I need to maximize the odds of landing this ability, that takes some counter-intuitive decision making. For instance I could use my first turn to heal a ship that isn’t hurt to guarantee a critical hit by biggs on his first turn. Or roll the dice and just use ackbars base attack, hoping it has either biggs or clone sarge attack along and land target lock. Either way I never use the mass attack in the first turn unless I somehow managed to buff two ships before ackbar is up. It is always worth holding back that attack until you have two buffed ships.

A few other things to consider is that wedge inflicts dot with his base att on a crit, that his special can deal massive damage to chars with a few debuffs, especially with target lock, which has him land more DOT. Also note that clone sarge’s special is an automatic unavoidable crit on target locked targets. These things add up to that the most powerfull abilities might not be the ones you want to fire first. There are a couple of other abilities that might be more useful then they seem. Restance pilot can for instance inflict daze, not so powerful you might think but if you are wheedling down an enemy taunting tank and you are fighting ackbar, not having him get prot up twice from getting to assist can make a huge difference.

Jedi consular is also valuable in keeping biggs alive, his assist can cause prot up, and for the assisting craft to land target lock (if they do that with base attack like bigs and clone sarge) and his prot recovery can also give you a real edge on protection heavy chars. It’s less worth it on a squishy ship as the healing goes on a percentage of the target’s max.

Ashoka has a usefull debuff, also be carefull not to dispel your own masterplan extra turn with her self-buff.
This is what I use based on what I have upped right now. Studying your ships abilities can allow you to combine for maximum effect.
Feel free to post here what makes your squad work for you.

Lastly take note of who you avoid in the arena and why, and please post those here so we can compare and come up with more powerful teams. I tend to steer clear of the scimitar for instance, and mace teams with lots of tanks.