Computer doesn't detect monitor/keyboard
I had an issue where my computer booted and went to my desktop but once it got there it wouldn't do anything.  I restarted the computer and then the only way I could get back to the desktop was in safe mode(it would boot and my 2nd monitor would go to sleep and then eventually my 1st monitor would turn black, but I could see my mouse moving).  I decided to do a reset on my computer.  Once the reset was done, my keyboard (old Saitek Cyborg usb keyboard) and my 2nd monitor (dvi connection) aren't working.  If I unplug the keyboard and plug it back in I get the windows noise for new hardware and the keyboard lights up, but it doesn't do anything.  The same thing happens with my monitor when I unplug the dvi cable it will come on with a blank screen and get the windows noise but immediately go to sleep.  I even unplugged my main monitor (HDMI) and plugged my 2nd in through the HDMI cable and it did the same thing(windows noise, blank screen, immediately goes to sleep).

I have updated windows, updated my video card driver, disabled and reenabled my video card, messed with all of the display settings (extending displays, changing priority, etc) and nothing works.  

I was able to plug in a different usb keyboard and it works fine.

My video card is a Radeon 550 series card.  

I have a hard time believing this is a video card  or a keyboard/monitor issue as it's the exact same issue with my keyboard and my monitor but any suggestions are appreciated it.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
That's a weird one. Motherboard dying, maybe? Or power supply. Kinda has that undervoltage vibe where something is wonky with the power and things just misbehave in strange ways. I dunno how to diagnose something like that, though. If there's any optional hardware you can temporarily eliminate (including maybe removing some RAM and swapping out which are removed), maybe try that too. Just thinking there could be some particular component on the fritz that's making the system electrically unstable. Had something like that one time where a network card had developed a short or something. Removed it and everything was fine.
The only thing that has changed was a few months ago I switched out video cards (the old one was from like 2004). I was having issues during seiges in what I deemed to be possible overheating because both of my monitors would go black but I could tell everything was running in the background because I could still talk on TS. I just wouldn't think that would screw with the keyboard as it can't draw much from the power supply right?
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
Maybe not the keyboard in particular but the USB bus in general. The fact that it's apparently happening to USB and video at the same time does make it seem like some kind of motherboard bus voltage....thing.

I guess you could also try playing with advanced power options in windows. Disable things like USB selective suspend. I wouldn't think that should be a problem, especially in a desktop, especially with these symptoms but at least it's an easy thing to try -- just setting all power options to always on all the time no matter what.

Diggles may have some more ideas but my temptation would be to order a new power supply, try that and last resort a new motherboard. Pretty big pain in the ass, though. Just doesn't seem like a software problem, or like something that could be related to memory or disk drives (unless, again, they are somehow causing a power problem).

If you replaced a 2004 video card I'm guessing a lot of your other components could be pushing up there in age too.

(This is why I'm contemplating a gaming laptop myself. Most of my components are from 2012-2013. 6 years is actually getting up there for a full time gaming rig.)
Yeah this was a $2500 computer back when I bought it, and I wouldn't be greatly opposed to just buying a new computer but I want to extinguish any fixes that I can find before going that route... I tried the power settings and it didn't change anything.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
Been a while since I've screwed with BIOS settings but you could poke around in there too. Especially if it's overclocked, try undoing it or just looking for the button that resets all your clock speeds and voltages back to default.
I'm not smart enough to screw with BIOS settings and this video card hasn't been touched from factory and shouldn't be overclocked. If this was a power/voltage issue, when I disconnected my monitor and plugged the hdmi into the 2nd monitor, shouldn't that monitor have come on? I mean it's the same port/cable but just a different monitor..
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
It is possible you're just having two totally unrelated problems coincidentally at the same time: failing keyboard and failing monitor. If the computer seems to operate fine on the one monitor and the other keyboard then maybe it is just a strange coincidence.

I have definitely gone through a slew of monitors over the years with the common failure point being the internal power supply inside the monitor. You should try hooking it up to a DVD player or something and just see if the failure is the monitor itself.
I plugged my monitor into my wife's computer and it worked fine.
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33
Maybe try this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...ted-system

With the idea being it really is a software problem, specifically something corrupt within Windows.

We're basically looking for problems that cause multiple failure points at the same time but NOT apparently bluescreens or hard locks. "Corruption" would be another general weird-failure possibility that would not be fixed by updating drivers.
Oh since when do you guys listen to me? haha

Sounds like power supply, especially if that fancy keyboard uses more power than a standard keyboard...i assume it has lights and icecream maker on it?  

Before you boot, inspect capacitors (round cylinders) on the motherboard for any black marks or bulging at the top.  Inspect powersupply connectors for any blackened char marks or electronic smoke smell.

Disconnect all! peripherals but your boot drive, video card & keyboard and see what happens.  If still happening, then swap back old card and see what happens.  If problem persists then get a replacement PS and test to see if it helps.  Save receipt in case you need to return it.

You were getting video fine before windows, and then only in safemode, and then only for a short period before it blacked out?  That sounds like PS cant keep up power up to keep video card capacitors filled.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
This is probably related to the issues you had when we were helping VG in the Chinese raids, trying to render a lot of shit on your screen caused your computer to die...

it definitely sounds like power issues to me.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
(04-24-2018, 01:59 PM)TinStar Wrote: I had an issue where my computer booted and went to my desktop but once it got there it wouldn't do anything.  I restarted the computer and then the only way I could get back to the desktop was in safe mode(it would boot and my 2nd monitor would go to sleep and then eventually my 1st monitor would turn black, but I could see my mouse moving).  I decided to do a reset on my computer.  Once the reset was done, my keyboard (old Saitek Cyborg usb keyboard) and my 2nd monitor (dvi connection) aren't working.  If I unplug the keyboard and plug it back in I get the windows noise for new hardware and the keyboard lights up, but it doesn't do anything.  The same thing happens with my monitor when I unplug the dvi cable it will come on with a blank screen and get the windows noise but immediately go to sleep.  I even unplugged my main monitor (HDMI) and plugged my 2nd in through the HDMI cable and it did the same thing(windows noise, blank screen, immediately goes to sleep).

I have updated windows, updated my video card driver, disabled and reenabled my video card, messed with all of the display settings (extending displays, changing priority, etc) and nothing works.  

I was able to plug in a different usb keyboard and it works fine.

My video card is a Radeon 550 series card.  

I have a hard time believing this is a video card  or a keyboard/monitor issue as it's the exact same issue with my keyboard and my monitor but any suggestions are appreciated it.
Couple of quick questions.

Is this a laptop or desk top?
Do the monitors plug directly into the computer or a module in between?
If the power supply or transformer are going bad even a tiny voltage drop may be putting your comp into sleep or power save mode. Is the transformer getting exceptionally hot?
a.k.a. Lucifyr Hobbs
monitors connect to video card in the pc. I removed my gaming keyboard and everything is working fine now. The only issue I am having now (which I was having before as well) is occasionally when my computer goes to sleep, I am unable to wake it back using keyboard/mouse so for me to get it working again, I have to hit the power button on the computer which will turn the PC on (but doesn't actually load the OS) and then turn the power supply off. Then once I turn the power supply back on and turn the computer on again, the computer wakes up and goes to the state it was in before it went to sleep (so all my chrome tabs are open and any programs I had running are still running...)

I physically checked for temperature issues and didn't notice anything being exceptionally hot and nothing looking burned or anything..
TinStar
96 99 44 4 33