Car Insurance Question
My wife has a 2008 Saturn Outlooks with about 90K miles on it.

She was rear ended last week at no fault of her own.

The cost to repair her car is $7500.  The person who hit her cars insurance company say that the car is totaled due to the cost if repair and value of the car. 

They will only give us $8000 and they take the car or 5500 and we keep the car and get it repaired ourselves.  To replace her car for the same model and everything is around $13000.

Is there anything we can do?  We are fucked either way... If we take the $8000 we still have to pay the repair place $1500 for the work they did and the tow truck.  

If we take the $5500 we have to dish out another $2000 to get her car fixed.

This seems like bullshit that we're getting fucked either way... I've never had to deal with anything like this before.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
What type of policy do you have yourself? Sometimes you can put the claim in on your own insurance and then they go chase the other company to make them whole. Then it's a question of whether or not your premiums go up but something to explore.

Too many games to fit in signature....
(05-02-2018, 11:47 AM)Arsilon Wrote: What type of policy do you have yourself?  Sometimes you can put the claim in on your own insurance and then they go chase the other company to make them whole.  Then it's a question of whether or not your premiums go up but something to explore.

We have full coverage.  That is an option it just seems really risky as we'd have to cancel the claim with the other company 1st and my  policy doesn't have rental car reimbursement on it and we are already like $500 in on rental cars.  

My wife is trying to get them to just fix it. Turns out they were including the towing charge in the repair claim so we are hoping for the best.  Just trying to see what my options are and whether we should hire a lawyer and fight it it just take it up the rear...
I don't own kid gloves.

Talk to you agent and see what he says, if you dont like those options...get a lawyer. Whoever hit you owes for repairs, rentals and time off work
[should not have shot the dolphin]
(05-02-2018, 11:57 PM)Diggles Wrote: Talk to you agent and see what he says, if you dont like those options...get a lawyer.  Whoever hit you owes for repairs, rentals and time off work

We are, unfortunately my agent can't talk to us on the record unless we have a claim with them, so they have been talking to us "hypothetically".  We really want to avoid putting a claim on our insurance if at all possible.

We are getting the other insurance company to reevaluate everything.  The repair place sent them the quote and it included towing costs($450 to tow it 1/4 mile) and some other misc fees.  We are trying to get them to remove all that extra shit and quote them separate, one for just the repairs, and one for the other shit.  Still not optimistic, but it's looking a little better... I'm sure they are still going to fuck us over though.
I don't own kid gloves.

Why do you not want to open a claim with your own insurance company? Are you afraid of an increase in your premium? If you were at-fault then I could understand, but the other guy hit you from behind and his insurance should cover everything. Your own insurance company is better suited to deal with his insurance company though.

A few years ago I got rear-ended while I was stopped at a traffic light. I just called my own insurance company and opened the claim. They took care of everything including suing the other insurance company to even reimburse me for my deductible. Whole thing didn't cost me a cent, and my premium didn't go up either.
This reminds me why I'm glad I don't own a car anymore.
(05-05-2018, 11:33 PM)Veraphim Wrote: Why do you not want to open a claim with your own insurance company?  Are you afraid of an increase in your premium?  If you were at-fault then I could understand, but the other guy hit you from behind and his insurance should cover everything.  Your own insurance company is better suited to deal with his insurance company though.

A few years ago I got rear-ended while I was stopped at a traffic light.  I just called my own insurance company and opened the claim.  They took care of everything including suing the other insurance company to even reimburse me for my deductible.  Whole thing didn't cost me a cent, and my premium didn't go up either.

Nah not worried about the premium going up, we have accident forgiveness regardless so it wouldn't impact us even if it was our fault.

I don't want to open a claim with my insurance company, because I would have to close it with the other, then I'd be left with about $800ish bill for the storage and towing and work the body shop has already done, and then I'd have to pay my insurance deductible which I believe is $500, and then my insurance company may come to the same conclusion, that the car is legally totaled, and then I'd still get the same as we are currently going to get, minus the $500 deductible and all that.  

It's really just because it's kind of risky and I might be out even more money than currently... so we're trying to avoid doing that. It's not completely off the table, we're just trying to work around it.  Ultimately, what you said may be what I do if this kind of thing ever happens again. 

Currently where we are at is, my wife is fighting the other company to try and get them to not consider it totaled. They said her car is worth around 8k and the damages are around $7500... but they were including towing and storage and another fee in that $7500 damages... so she is getting the body shop to bill that separately and reevaluate to try and get them to just fix it.  We're still waiting to hear back from them on that.
I don't own kid gloves.

Are you still in Humble area?  I had a friend that has a shop in Atascocita that might be able to give you friendly quotes/rates if you end up having to go elsewhere for any reason (probably too late at this point).
Yea I'm still in Humble.

Good news is, we won, they are going to fix her car, so all is well!
I don't own kid gloves.