Great post on what made EQ a good MMO
From the Camelot Unchained reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchaine...n_from_eq/
[should not have shot the dolphin]
The fact that everyone didnt know everything from wikis and shit also made it neat.
Waeloga-"Flab is my idol"
I dunno, I like the wikis. I want the mystery to be in the strategy. We KNOW what the numbers are but the debate is still over what the best strategy is, given those numbers.

But then, I also don't like "computer RPG" elements, which is to say, fixed storylines.

In real pencil and paper roleplaying there's always an element of "the game the GM designed" vs "the game the dice are giving you" vs "the game the players want". I've always felt computer RPGs took away the best part of it, which is "the game the players want". It's all about the GM (the computer) and the dice. Players have no choices except what which the game explicitly spells out for them so it spoils the fun for me.

If there are going to be quests, I just want to know how to get through it as fast as possible because my real goal is probably the reward at the end that lets me kill rogues slightly better.

This is why my perfect MMORPG is really just a big wargame.
It was the frontier of MMOs at least 3d.
I can remember being the first human Rogue Sneaking across the plains of Kunarak to Quenos it was a new world in a new technology.
It let your mind go free with like minded people the danger was realish because you had to pay a real life price(time) for in game failure it was wonderful and it was horrible it was EVERQUEST!
The PVP aspect where there was NO Balancing for a long long time you actually had to work together to make progress... except shamans! and druids... and Necromancers.
.... Well Clerics did anyhow!