Now this is bad customer support...
https://t.co/KaWY3gCyWb

This is part 3 of a multipart video series done by Linus Tech Tips where they had one of their non-tech savvy employees do a secret shopper and buy a $1500 pre-built PC from Alienware, HP Omen, iBuyPower, Origin and Maingear.  They review the various stages of the process from ordering, tech support, what they actually got for the money, etc.

This episode was covering the tech support experience where they removed 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM so it only showed has having access to half the memory that was purchased.

The iBuyPower guy at the linked portion above just blew me away.  The first episode was interesting as well.

Too many games to fit in signature....
(12-18-2018, 05:13 PM)Arsilon Wrote: https://t.co/KaWY3gCyWb

This is part 3 of a multipart video series done by Linus Tech Tips where they had one of their non-tech savvy employees do a secret shopper and buy a $1500 pre-built PC from Alienware, HP Omen, iBuyPower, Origin and Maingear.  They review the various stages of the process from ordering, tech support, what they actually got for the money, etc.

This episode was covering the tech support experience where they removed 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM so it only showed has having access to half the memory that was purchased.

The iBuyPower guy at the linked portion above just blew me away.  The first episode was interesting as well.

Yea that's pretty brutal. I mean I can understand not wanting to try and deal with explaining it to someone who isn't computer savvy... but that's obviously part of the job and he should have at least tried.

My computer is actually from iBuyPower.  When I first got it, the PSU was bad and they sent me a new one with no issues.  My computer is about to hit 10 years old in March!  When I first bought it, I promised my wife it would last me at least 10 years... and it has(so far)... minus a few video cards, and upgraded hard drives...  case fans... ram sticks...
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
(12-18-2018, 10:34 PM)strife Wrote: minus a few video cards, and upgraded hard drives...  case fans... ram sticks...

and a power module, motherboard, case and software.

Yes wife, I told you it would last 10 years!
(12-19-2018, 08:57 AM)Vllad Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:34 PM)strife Wrote: minus a few video cards, and upgraded hard drives...  case fans... ram sticks...

and a power module, motherboard, case and software.

Yes wife, I told you it would last 10 years!
Haha pretty much. Nah the mb, case, CPU and PSU are all originals... That and the optical drives.  I added SSDs a while back. 

Kind of pushes the question of what defines a computer as the same computer.
I don't own kid gloves.

Steam Friend Code : 1636490
Computer = Motherboard. Motherboard defines and limits overall performance & abilities of system.

Noone upgrades motherboard and keeps using same CPU/Ram unless you are retarded
[should not have shot the dolphin]
“This, milord, is my family's axe. We have owned it for almost nine hundred years, see. Of course, sometimes it needed a new blade. And sometimes it has required a new handle, new designs on the metalwork, a little refreshing of the ornamentation . . . but is this not the nine hundred-year-old axe of my family? And because it has changed gently over time, it is still a pretty good axe, y'know. Pretty good.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
This is how AT&T is..... I spent 35 min on the phone literally getting nowhere and just "hold please" and "sorry". I call at least once a month to deal with some sort of issue. Businesses continue to automate dealing with people.

iBuyPower did respond in a Twitter thread to this particular incident and they apparently issued a personal apology to the staffer who did the secret shopper. Of course this only comes after a widely subscribed to YouTuber puts a video out so you'll have your typical PR damage control. The next episode comes out next week I think where they do the overall results. They are considering doing a follow up as well where they reach out to each company and get their response to the documented experiences. I would be curious to see what iBuyPower says in this particular case on record.

There was actually a similar experience with one of the other companies (I'd have to go back and rewatch it since I don't remember which it was -- I *think* it was Origin) when the woman tried to call to order a PC. The customer service rep wouldn't even make a recommendation to her on what to buy and just pointed her to the website to let her custom configure a computer when she knew nothing about the components and which is which and why you would want one or another. It could just be the case their target customer is a computer enthusiast and not soccer mom who knows nothing trying to buy a gaming computer for her child.

Too many games to fit in signature....
(12-22-2018, 01:42 AM)Crice Wrote: This is how AT&T is..... I spent 35 min on the phone literally getting nowhere and just "hold please" and "sorry". I call at least once a month to deal with some sort of issue. Businesses continue to automate dealing with people.

If you are talking about wireless service, then switch to Consumer Cellular.  I've NEVER been transferred to a different person, the 4 or so times I've had to call the first person I spoke with handled everything. Always an english speaking American that I can understand and not ghetto hoodrats.  5/5 customer service
[should not have shot the dolphin]