World of Warships
Checked this out. Steam download, "free to play". I haven't figured out their economic model yet though I think in the end it comes down to the Planetside model: money gets you perks and nice-to-haves (XP boosters and such) and more money gets you side-grades. I'm not up to top tier yet but I suspect how it will work out is that getting one top tier ship is practical to do for free while getting a dozen of them will take months/years or money. At 10 hours in there's been no need to buy anything yet. You get a selection of ships (1 per nation?) and rank up off of that. So playing a rank 1 cruiser will unlock a same rank destroyer, battleship and the next rank of cruiser, paid for with in-game currency.

It's not really a "Purge game". It's a drop in, do a battleground, drop out kinda game. (I don't think you CAN group up until you get some hours in.)

Still, it's pretty fun. There's more depth to the mechanics than I was expecting. Shots tend to deflect at angles or high-armor-vs-small-shot (as in POTBS/Naval Action) and different areas of the ship can have different armor levels/hit points. It's somewhat obfuscated because they just show you a hit point bar but you'll notice sometimes you hit for high damage and sometimes for low damage or no damage because you're hitting an already destroyed area or a higher armor area, etc. So it's more than just putting around and throwing shells until someone blows up. Turrets take time to rotate as well, and have limited lanes of fire so you have to take that into account. In some cases you can spin your ship faster than your turrets can rotate so you may have to decide between getting a firing solution and continuing your turn (mainly for battleships).

Different ship classes:

Battleships:
Big armor, big guns, slow moving. Has secondary guns and AA guns that fire automatically while you control main turrets. Secondary guns will shoot at anything they have opportunity fire on but they're more useful against smaller ships. Seems to be the only ship that can repair hit points during the battle but it's limited. This is also the only ship type that has played about the same through the ranks.

Cruisers:
Usually larger numbers of smaller guns that fire more rapidly with a more maneuverable but still pretty easy to hit ship. At lower ranks you can sometimes go toe to toe with a battleship. At rank 4 I was in a cruiser that had torpedo launchers and it was practically OP -- the guns and greater survivability of a cruiser but the torpedoes of a destroyer made it a deadly ship. At rank 5, though, it throws you into battles with rank 5-7 ships and there it feels like the guns got bigger but the armor didn't so you just can't get into torpedo range. The cannons of the battleships will wreck you. Hoping they get their niche back for what I presume is the rank 8+ group because they don't feel that useful in the 5-7 range. I mostly play it as a battleship and occasionally try for a lucky torpedo hit from long range. Although the maps do have islands and sometimes you can get a short range encounter going where the torpedoes are useful again.

Destroyers:
Fast, small, hard to hit, hard to spot, super deadly with torpedoes, fragile if you can hit them. Pretty fun ranks 1-4. Doing torpedo runs on battleships is tricky because their secondary guns will shoot automatically and can hurt but generally gameplay is trying to catch opponents unawares and unleash torpedoes on them. At rank 5, it seems to switch styles because guns are bigger all around and destroyers mainly lurk, act as spotters and try to catch battleships by surprise, but mostly they seem to be spotters. If spotted they run.

There is ramming and friendly fire. Ranks 1-4 you'll be playing on teams that are mostly bots. 5+ seems to be where all the players are.

There are also aircraft carriers but I think you had to have been there for some event to have "early access" to them. I have no idea how they work. I think you directly control at least some of the planes? All I know is when you start seeing carriers, the "AA" rating of your ship suddenly becomes relevant. My German battleship has loads of AA and is handy at covering others while some ships have little to no AA and are practically defenseless against aircraft attacks. Overall though, carriers seem fairly weak though maybe that also changes at higher ranks. (At low rank they are clearly launching what looks to be biplanes but then, you're also sailing around in a WW1 era ship.)
Oh, I'll also say that if you start getting into the game (and definitely before you spend any real money) you'll want to spend some time digging into details. There is enough depth and complexity that, for example, a German Battleship shouldn't approach combat in the same way as an American or Japanese one. The differences to how the ship's vulnerabilities and strengths are laid out can mean that one battleship is a superior ranged fighter while another one is built for brawling but you can't really get this just by looking at the outside ("yep, that's a battleship").

I think the different nations tend of have different general styles as well, though I'm just cracking the shell on that. e.g. Russian warships tend to lean heavily towards brawlers with larger numbers of faster firing, smaller guns while German armor placement and gun type tends to make them best from a medium distance, especially if they can hit your broadside while maintaining an angle for return fire, etc.

I'm kind of surprised at this game's popularity but you know, it was always unfortunately the "world" aspect of POTBS/NA that tended to ruin it (mainly just that it was not a well-done aspect of either game). The combat itself was always fun and that's all this game is. Probably helps that it's very streamable and I'm not sure how you'd cheat at it. (You do have to aim but even moreso than Naval Action, where you aim is more important than just a general hit and when you're firing at things 10+km away, predicting how the target is turning or moving is important too.)
P.S.
I did figure out carriers. Turns out just the German ones are "early access / special event" locked. Some of the others are available through the normal progression tree, branching out of the Destroyer lineup.

Carrier play consists of launching a group of air-to-sea attack planes which you control directly. While doing this your ship is generally on autopilot -- it will run repairs and launch defensive fighters automatically as needed and you can direct its movement from a map interface. Oddly you can't control your defensive fighters at all (I always wondered why carriers were "greedy" and never helped protect the fleet with fighter cover and the reason is because they can't). Gameplay consists of flying your attack groups around to deliver rocket attacks, bomb attacks or torpedo attacks. You have unlimited planes but destroyed ones are slow to regenerate so you have to be somewhat careful or you can find yourself short on options.

It is pretty fun and probably one of the more strategic ways to play since you're the only one on the field that can quickly shift focus from one area of the map to another. Effectiveness is somewhat questionable especially if enemies stay grouped up, as the concentrated AA fire will keep you at bay. Mostly I look for lone wolves I can hit or otherwise look for weak enemies I can help the team push against. Worst case (if heavy AA and the enemy stays tight) they're still useful as spotters as most ships can shoot a lot further than they can see.

The carrier itself is basically free beer so you have a bit of a quandary in how you play: more aggressive, closer to the enemy, means faster turn-around time and more damage you can deal with your aircraft but if so much as a single destroyer gets on you, you're probably toast. Most carrier drivers seem to hide in the far reaches of the map which is annoying (they are always the last ship your team has to hunt down) and not as effective but I guess the justification is "it's safe".

Couple important notes:
* You have limited ship slots. I think it's 15 or something. When you run out, new ships will cost real-life money to buy a new slot for. But you can sell ships you don't use anymore so sell off the rank 1-4 ships you'll probably never play again and free up some slots.
* You don't need to buy a ship to progress up the ranks. Use XP to unlock the ship, then say "no" to buying it and use your "free xp" to just skip to the next rank (and repeat until you reach the ship you want or run out of XP, THEN buy the ship and earn your way up from there.)
How is the match making?  Also, if new players sign up, would you be able to play with us or are we on our own til we catch up?

If you're a steam user, it looks like it's available through Steam
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Yeah I got it through Steam. Match making has been good. It will fill it out with bots if it takes too long but does a good job of creating even teams (at least in terms of ships). Tier 1-4 is mostly going to be bots. Tier 5+ turns into mostly or all players.

I have this recruitment link.
https://warships.us/Slamz_Biggles

I have no idea if that does anything for you. I was able to make a "The Purge" clan.

Not sure how to group with people ("Division"? Maybe that's just for clan vs clan battles though.) I seem to recall some level up that said like "You can now team up with others!" or something. I wasn't paying much attention. I'm sure we can figure it out but I think you have to get a few steps in before it lets you group. Your first couple battles will be against NPCs anyway.
If you play around with it for an hour or so and decide you like the general gist of it then you should probably consider what nation you want to work on longer term. This doesn't (afaik) impact who you can play with or anything. I don't think there are "USA vs Japan" tournaments. But unless you plan to donate to the game like a whale I think it's best to pick one nation. There are some synergy possibilities but probably not worth worrying about unless a dozen of us decided to play.

Your ability to find "which nation is right for me" online is as good as mine but I think the general gist for battleships is:
Russia: DPS brawlers. Inaccurate guns make them poorly suited for ranged duels.
Germany: Armor brawlers. Armor configuration works best when tanking straight on rather than taking plunging fire from range.
Japan: Ranged DPS. They just have the best long range guns. Very slow turret rotation makes brawling impractical.
USA: Middle of the road all around. Good AA.
Others: I dunno.

Some of the "nations" are not fleshed out at all. Like there's some South America group that only has one destroyer line, I think, and I think some general "Euro" group that kinda represents the minor European nations that has like one Scandinavian cruiser line or something. But all the major WW2 powers are either fully represented or being fleshed out (e.g. Germany's "early access" carriers).
Got up to tier 5 Japanese battleship and yeah the playstyle is dramatically different than the German one. Way more range but the biggest tradeoff seems to be turret rotation speed. You basically need to plan 2 minutes in advance and targets of opportunity aren't likely going to mean much to you. If someone comes at you from a direction your turrets are not currently facing you're gonna be fucked until you can get your ship turned, which is also slow. Seems hard to get a high score this way (super long range shots are hard to land) but the ability to shoot with near impunity is handy.

Saw a video of an American battleship and it looks like fast rotating turrets is their thing so I think they're weaker overall but can react much faster to a changing environment.

Also found that the tier 6 aircraft carrier can, in fact, call in defense fighters that loiter in an area so you can defend the fleet at least a little bit.
Do you have any low tier ship recommendations? I did some research and the consensus was the St Louis and the Russian tier 3 we were very good.

Is there any point to playing the low tier stuff if you have higher tier available? Is it just for earning credits
Yeah I wouldn't look too much at the lower tier. At tier 5 is where you hit the bulk of the playerbase and the advancement slows down.

I definitely should have done more reading first though I guess you don't really know til you try.
https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/wo...best-ships
Have you used or gotten in-game voicechat to work?
Ok good fun and destruction thanks for the tip on this game.