Anyone else interested in Star Citizen? Still Years away but
Just Curious I was super pumped but have have since pulled my expectations way back.
Certainly the most Ambitious MMO to ever be attempted and it is already beautiful.
Squadron 42 is the single player version and MIGHT be out by Christmas let us Pray.
not a single bit, at this point it is a racquet. Only kickstarter I did was Camelot because the studio head has a good track record.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Well they have 11,662,233 Subscribers and the game hasn't left Alpha.

I usually check this guys videos out on Youtube for updates.

https://youtu.be/xwLAHcO9nMM
I jump in after every patch, play for a bit to see improvements. It's fun for a bit, but I'm playing solo most of the time, and it its current state it is WAY more fun playing in groups. Final implementation of OCS is needed for this vision to truly come alive, so I'm not taking it too seriously until that happens, and progress over the last two quarters has been pretty meh. Stuff is happening, but OCS is a blocker for so much, until that is done, they can't do much. Also waiting to see how Squadron 42's release next year impacts SC. I do not at all think it's a racket, but I can see why some people say that. CIG has truly made some dumb-ass decisions along the way, but it is very much a worthy project that I hope is fully realized. My name is the same as here OrsunVZ if anyone is ever in and wants to run some missions etc. give me a shout.
Gameless (for now)
(08-10-2020, 12:19 PM)OrsunVZ Wrote: I jump in after every patch, play for a bit to see improvements. It's fun for a bit, but I'm playing solo most of the time, and it its current state it is WAY more fun playing in groups. Final implementation of OCS is needed for this vision to truly come alive, so I'm not taking it too seriously until that happens, and progress over the last two quarters has been pretty meh. Stuff is happening, but OCS is a blocker for so much, until that is done, they can't do much. Also waiting to see how Squadron 42's release next year impacts SC. I do not at all think it's a racket, but I can see why some people say that. CIG has truly made some dumb-ass decisions along the way, but it is very much a worthy project that I hope is fully realized. My name is the same as here OrsunVZ if anyone is ever in and wants to run some missions etc. give me a shout.

Ill be more interested once the server Cap goes over 50 but with so much talent(and there are at least a few ABListers+) and quality invested in game thus far A Gamer can dream right?!
I paid money for it awhile ago, played a little and decided it wasn't worth my time. Hopefully it has improved but I doubt I will ever check on it again.

Same as Crice. I bought into it a long time ago, checked it out a couple times, went "neat" and uninstalled.

Now that I have played games like Atlas and 7 Days, I really have doubts about Star Citizen because I think that kind of player-construction content is absolutely needed for a game like that to work. As far as I know, they have no such plans. Seems like they are doing canned content and the pace of rolling out that canned content has me in serious doubts that the game will ever exist even in that form.

Only reason I keep tabs on it at all is the sheer lack of other options. All these new "MMOs" are using things like Unreal Engine and every time I have tried an MMO type game using these canned engines, the problems have outweighed the fun. Star Citizen's use of Amazon's engine has potential, maybe, but seems like they dropped the ball a long time ago. Also interesting that Amazon's other game shit the bed though from what I hear it was never an engine problem so much as a pure design problem -- developers cannot decide what game they want to make and keep changing it.
(08-10-2020, 06:39 PM)Slamz Wrote: Same as Crice. I bought into it a long time ago, checked it out a couple times, went "neat" and uninstalled.

Now that I have played games like Atlas and 7 Days, I really have doubts about Star Citizen because I think that kind of player-construction content is absolutely needed for a game like that to work. As far as I know, they have no such plans. Seems like they are doing canned content and the pace of rolling out that canned content has me in serious doubts that the game will ever exist even in that form.

Only reason I keep tabs on it at all is the sheer lack of other options. All these new "MMOs" are using things like Unreal Engine and every time I have tried an MMO type game using these canned engines, the problems have outweighed the fun. Star Citizen's use of Amazon's engine has potential, maybe, but seems like they dropped the ball a long time ago. Also interesting that Amazon's other game shit the bed though from what I hear it was never an engine problem so much as a pure design problem -- developers cannot decide what game they want to make and keep changing it.

Player construction like this?

https://scfocus.org/land-claims/#:~:text...0outposts.

(Only reason I keep tabs on it at all is the sheer lack of other options)
Yeah I suppose that is true for me also but mine is more HOPE based.
I'd say this if Squadron 42 is a smashing success then the sky will be the limit with SC.
Hmm. The page referenced by that page:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-...nd-Pioneer

Sounds more like they're just using it as an excuse to sell us yet another ship.

I was thinking more like Rust/Ark/Atlas/No Man's Sky with detailed modular construction systems that can represent hundreds of hours of gameplay on its own. The "Outland Pioneer" sounds like something you land and deploy and that's about it.
Ark, love ark
(08-12-2020, 03:11 PM)Slamz Wrote: Hmm. The page referenced by that page:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-...nd-Pioneer

Sounds more like they're just using it as an excuse to sell us yet another ship.

I was thinking more like Rust/Ark/Atlas/No Man's Sky with detailed modular construction systems that can represent hundreds of hours of gameplay on its own. The "Outland Pioneer" sounds like something you land and deploy and that's about it.

Feature creep...  more and more feature creep.  I think the early funding triggered Robert's ADD.  Don't get me wrong, the game is neat and I've sunk a decent about of time to get my $/hr.  However, they've spent too much time on pretty model ships vs gameplay mechanics and now I think it'll be like Naval Action Open world worked(didn't).  Chaos over time trying to add stuff.
One Mans feature creep is another mans stretch goal!
I think they desperately need feature creep, though, as there are not enough features to make an interesting game as-is. It's never been clear to me what players are supposed to do in Star Citizen. I really think it needs something like a Rimworld (or Atlas) underpinning to give the ship part of the game some relevance.

I'm betting Squadron 42 will be fun (and does not need this feature creep at all) but the MMO portion seems like it will be pointless.

Also why I've never been much interested in Elite Dangerous. Once I saw there was no construction part of the game, I figured I'd be lucky to get 3 months out of it.

(Also why I'm still kinda hoping Camelot Unchained won't suck. Player construction as the underpinning of the MMO-wargame seems like it has the most promise to provide a long-term entertaining experience.)