Thoughts on the 3070.. and up line?
Apparently Nvidia is dropping a New card in a couple weeks! comments?
https://www.gsmarena.com/nvidia_announce...RTX%202070.
with an MSRP of $499, it's a steal, but my understanding is it only has 10 gig of memory, which could conceivably be a chokepoint. Even so though, it blows the 2k cards out of the water. I'd consider it if I had a 144hz monitor, but i've got to do the monitor upgrade first.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
Your brain isn't able to really process signals past 60 hz and your eye can't see resolutions at 4k unless your face is literally pressed right against the device. You can completely forget about any resolutions above 4k. You will not be able to tell the difference with them. So at those rates/resolutions you are just doing things for e-peen rather than any visibly noticeable results.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Hmmm, interesting. I've seen tons of anecdotal evidence by gamers that swear up and down that 144hz is night and day over 60hz. I haven't ever seen 144hz so i can't personally say, but people seem to rave over 144hz.
Skelas

Burnt to a crisp.
It is like people raving over gold plated audio cables. You will not be able to hear the difference. Some people might be able to but that number is far less than the number of people that actually make claims to be able to tell the difference. Just like some people are tetrachromats where as the vast majority of humans are trichromats. 

There is a limit to what the brain and the eye are able to process. A better video card will allow games to run smoother and a bigger monitor that has more color depth will allow you to see things easier. I'm guessing that that is what they are actually talking about rather than the refresh rate. Or the monitor/video card/other things may have other effects to smooth out the transitions between each frame to reduce perceived motion blur. Motion blur is caused primarily by your brain interpreting the images rather than by the images themselves. Brains are lazy and take lots of short cuts. 

Also they don't want to seem like idiots for shelling out hundreds of dollars on something that doesn't really provide them with much benefit. That and/or they may be getting a sponsorship/free product to promote the item.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
I do tend to disbelieve the 144MHz hype too. Would be interesting to do a blind comparison and see if someone can tell which is which. I can definitely feel it when FPS drops under about 20 but I don't think I can tell any difference as my FPS counter flicks between 40 and 60.

That said, maybe it's important for VR. When the "monitor" is your entire visual frame, I understand FPS differences can become a big deal.
Zouji Wrote:It is like people raving over gold plated audio cables. You will not be able to hear the difference.

I can't speak for everything but I know for a fact they make a huge difference for musical instruments. i.e. guitar or keyboard chords. They do change how you record.

The problem with them however was they were never worth the cost to use them for live performances. The ambient noise gets cancelled out by drunks.

They made such a big difference in recording however that some people have stopped using them for a retro sound. i.e., I guess some people miss the hissing sound of a needle touching an LP.
(09-03-2020, 02:11 PM)Vllad Wrote:
Zouji Wrote:It is like people raving over gold plated audio cables. You will not be able to hear the difference.

I can't speak for everything but I know for a fact they make a huge difference for musical instruments. i.e. guitar or keyboard chords. They do change how you record.

The problem with them however was they were never worth the cost to use them for live performances. The ambient noise gets cancelled out by drunks.

They made such a big difference in recording however that some people have stopped using them for a retro sound. i.e., I guess some people miss the hissing sound of a needle touching an LP.
Vllad do you play? I have a 1930s Stella Gambler for Sale thing is nearly mint for being nearly 100 year old guitar.
Not anymore. I still have some of my old rigs though. I still have my first Fender silver face twin reverb amp I got in 1971.
I was speaking about home audio setups/speaker cables. Things that are not plugged into an amplifier and setups that are not for audio technicians in a studio. 

You won't be able to tell the difference with speakers and unamplified sound. You can use a HDMI or S/PDIF cable and you won't have to worry about signal interference/degradation. Again this is for unamplified sound for people that don't have magic ears. In a HDMI or S/PDIF cable the gold plating shit matters even less. The signal is digital not analog. It either transmits or it doesn't.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"