That Which Is The Purge
What Others Are Saying
ivana cummings Wrote:My PVP experience since the merge has certainly made me aware of the purge, out of the pirate nation they do seem to be the most tactically sound in  a 6v6 situation...
- Ivana
Level 50 British Privateer
Guild: The Royal Guard
Server: Antigua (Pirates of the Burning Sea)

Quote:If nothing else the purge help to encourage outdoor pvp and keep the place interesting.

They are a good constant. I know when i see a purge member outdoors theres a good chance he's going to attack me. And they'll keep attacking until one side gets bored and books it out of there. I can't say the same about any other horde though.

Balcomb
Level 60 Dwarf Priest
Guild: Contingency
Realm: Crushridge (WOW)

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread...202333&p=1

Quote:A guild like yours adds to the PvP of the server. The most fun PvP I've participated in have been with you guys on my various toons.

Dauntak
Level 60 Tauren Druid
Guild: Severed
Realm: Crushridge (WOW)

Quote:Best society
French: OMG
British: Royal G
Pirate: Purge
Spanish: Old Timers

Best Solo
French: OMG Cutler Pain
British: Xylander
Pirate: any of the purge caught solo.
Spanish: Cig Tech
Mort Blanche
France, Antigua
Pirates of the Burning Sea

Our History

In the beginning, there was Everquest.

It was new and big and fun, but there was something missing. While you could be a large and angry troll, you could not kill and eat druids, which is something all honest, upstanding trolls like to do. You couldn't even properly roleplay. Player-druids would come around your favorite swamp and start killing the troll guards and the cruel gods (GMs) would punish you if you tried to interfere. Player versus player fighting was not allowed. Roleplaying was effectively prohibited.

Then came a server called Vallon Zek, ruled by a more understanding, if somewhat incompetent god. On this server, players were divded into 4 teams, and players on two different teams could attack each other. On this server, a troll could indeed go around eating druids, and it was good. Never again would we set foot in some piece of crap non-PvP world.

There was one problem. The problem was asshats. Trolls who, instead of killing druids, would actually help them. Honest PvP'ing druid-eating trolls could not kill the traitorous carebear druid-hugging trolls because they were on the same team. Thus was born "crossteaming" -- using your evil-team healer to heal a good-team druid while your evil teammates were helpless to stop you; exploiting the team rules to give your friends an advantage. While many people stayed with the single team concept, or at least the "good vs evil" concept, ultimately they were at a disadvantage versus the exploits of the 4-teaming asshats, and so the ability to roleplay was eventually ground to a halt just like all the other servers.

Eventually, in no small part due to issues like this, Everquest wound down, people quit and wandered off.

But wait!  In Everquest, we had met some good people and good gamers, in amongst all the asshats.  Surely there was a way to keep in touch with them?  Surely, eventually, someone would create The Ultimate PvP Game, with roleplay aspects and a game company that actually cares about fixing bugs and we could all play that instead!  One can hope, right?

And so The Purge was created.  Initially, it was just a small forum with a handful of stragglers participating.  Not a guild, just a forum and a vague hope that some of us could keep in touch and start a new game with someone other than a bunch of random people.

When word of Shadowbane came around, The Purge was ready to spring into action!  A handful of remnants from Everquest, ready to begin life anew in this fresh PvP game!

... Well.  That is, until we realized Shadowbane kinda sucked ...

Then, World of Warcraft appeared on the horizon.  Battlegrounds!  Integrated PvP!  We were saved!  The Purge prepared to enter the game with a handful of members to see what trouble we could cause.

But lo, scant days before the release of Warcraft, word of this website had gotten around, and many old friends, long thought lost to the mists of the internet, turned up at our doorstep.  A website for ex-Vallon players, minus the morons?  Looking to play on a WOW PvP server?  Overnight, The Purge tripled in size as other islands of quality Vallon players found us and merged together.

And over time, they brought in their friends and family members.  And those friends and family members brought in their friends and family members.  And so eventually we had a triple digit roster and we didn't even have to walk around Thunderbluff shouting, "Who wants to join a guild" to get it.

This was the beginning of The Purge: a refuge for the thin line of people who enjoy PvP and are not asshats. A group that will forever stand in defiance of asshattedness everywhere. Forged in the fires of PvP, tempered by the asshats of Everquest, we play for fun, we play to win, we play with the rules that the game provides and when we crush your pathetic cheating asses you can know we did it fairly and that you truely do suck.

We raid, but we aren't a raiding guild.  We're big, but we didn't aim to be.  We're casual, but we have high standards.  We're a gaming guild that's all grown up.  It's not our goal to powergame or be the first to the top at the expense of our personal lives.  We're a guild of people who enjoys gaming and likes to enjoy it with like minded people, to have maximum fun for maximum effect, right up until we have to log off and go fix dinner for the kids.

We are the best.  Anyone who says otherwise is probably using the wrong scoring system.

Asshats need not apply.

Purge Structure

The Purge has a long and unusual history, so it has a somewhat unusual structure.

I, Slamz (or whatever I'm calling myself these days), am technically the guildleader.  I claim this title mostly by virtue of the fact that I was the one who started the whole Purge concept and also because I own the website (neener neener neener).

In reality though, we're more of an oligarchy: ruled by a handful of officers, most of whom are people I've met in person or have a long history with and trust to do leadership stuff.  Several of them are former guildleaders themselves.  This casual, distributed method of leadership keeps anyone from getting bogged down and helps ensure that there's always someone around to deal with issues.  It also helps keep the guild stable over long periods of time because we never have a "single point of contact" that can vanish and leave the guild ownerless.

Note also that raidleaders are not automatically officers or vice versa.  Officers are strictly seen as moderators: people to help with invites and boots, people to discuss future policies with and people who help handle whatever arises in a game that needs some sort of official attention.  Event leaders or strategic leaders can be absolutely anyone in the guild who feels like stepping up to the plate.  Want to lead a raid?  Schedule it, arrange it yourself.  Really, I would just as soon have my raid leaders not be officers, because then you never have to see a raid take a 15 minute break to deal with "officer issues".  Let the raid leader lead the raid, let the officers handle the issues and everything flows smoothly.

The Purge: Not Just a Guild

One thing to note when applying to The Purge is that we aren't just another flash-in-the-pan guild.  Most members have connections to each other through some degrees of seperation -- this player is your coworker's sister's husband's old college buddy, for example.  We try to make it easy to recruit personal friends and family and use that to bolster our ranks moreso than inviting total strangers.

Our doors are always open, but the bulk of the recruitment process is going to be on the shoulders of the person who wants in.  It's up to you to find us and put us on your friends list.  It's up to you to look us up and try to get into groups and try to make some kind of connection.  Getting into The Purge can be trickier than most guilds, but once in, you'll find a home not just for the game you're playing now, but for games for years to come.
Damn straight! 8)
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
I felt extremely proud to have joined you guys back on VZ, I'm even more so now!
No matter what we do in anyone game, we will always be The Purge!
I was referred to as a Quality Vallon Player. That's awesome!

Big Grin
ESO - Rallick of Purge (Sorceror) - The Purge (and various others)
RIFT - Rallock (Cleric) - Virus (Deepwood)
WAR - Rallick (ArchMage) - The Purge
WoW - Rallick/Mootendo - The Purge
EQ - Nintelten <Defiant>
I just reread this and it made me sniffle.
All long term Purge members must ultimately face the Diggles Test.
nice post. I played on Vallon for a while cause Karne wanted me to. went to high school with him and i will be apping as soon as i get my internet back up next week and then i gotta make a toon on tyranny. have a 19 ass on doomsayer but i will reroll to hang with him and his guild from vz if you'll have me.
Wrong forum to post in you noob. Smile