The Iggles Treatment
I don't know if this has been written about. It's an old, core concept dating back to Vallon Zek.

In EQ, there was no real PvP death penalty which meant there was really no way to "win" a PvP battle. For example, when fighting for control of an area, it really didn't matter who won or lost the fight. Control ultimately fell to whoever gave up last. You could kill someone 50 times in a row and still "lose" the battle simply because you ran out of time and needed to log off, never having gotten to reap any benefits from your successful PvP because you had to spend all your time fighting the same person over and over and over.

EQ did sort of have one death penalty, though: corpse retrieval. When you died, all of your loot stayed on your corpse and you had to go pick it back up. Without your loot, you were pretty useless.

The guild I was in at the time was called "Da Bashin' Iggles". The original players all had "iggles" somewhere in their game. Squiggles. Quiggles. Wiggles. Diggles. Etc. I was Slamz. ... Well, I joined them after the fact.

Anyway, we were all pretty serious about PvP. We didn't like the fact that victory was meaningless. We thought that if you defeated someone in a fight for control of an area that you ought to win control through that victory.

To arrange this, we (Diggles?) invented....The Iggles Treatment.

Technically, I think it was frowned upon by the GMs but they rarely commented on it, since we always gave people an easy way out:
We will let you loot your corpse and get your stuff back if you agree to leave this area.

If you refuse to accept this agreement, we will kill you before you finish looting and then you'll have two corpses.

If you accept the agreement, loot your stuff and then break the agreement by attacking us, then you're not getting your stuff back until we get bored of killing you.

And we didn't bore easily.

The real reason the Iggles Treatment worked, in fact, is that we were perfectly content to stand there and kill someone for 2 hours straight if they refused the agreement or broke it. Many a jolly conversation with GMs involved us describing the rules to the GM while simultaniously continuing to kill whoever it was that sent in the complaint.

The Iggles Treatment survives still to other games, generally referring to the justified corpsecamping of another player.

For example, if a Hunter in WOW just will not leave you alone but instead keeps reviving and attacking you, it's time for Igglestreatment: everyone drops what they're doing and dedicates themselves to corspecamping the Hunter until he goes away.

Igglestreatment is about the rights of players to police themselves, creating their own rules to make a game playable where the game designers left a gaping hole that threatens to make the game unplayable.
An Igglestreatment story:

Once upon a time, Xanit was in Siren's Grotto, heading to the Western Wastes. It's a tricky area because there's only 1 way in and if you're going to claim zone control, the zoneline from Grotto to Wastes was the place to have the battle.

One of the loosely muttered rules of the game was that if someone was naked, you had to let them pass. You couldn't just do arbitrary "Iggles Treatment" on random people that were trying to get past you to find their poor, lost corpse.

So we're in the Grotto and a couple of members of an enemy guild showed up. The guild was called the Prophets, and they were well known to be exploiters, cheaters and general feebs. Two of them showed up at the zoneline naked and claimed right of free passage to the other side because they were on corpse retrieval.

Slamz ain't no fool. Slamz wasn't born yesterday. Slamz didn't trust Prophets any further than he could blast them with his Breezeboots Frigid Gnaser. So I did an "inspect" on them.

I could see from their inventory that they had simply removed every visible article of equipment, stuffed it into bags and left on everything that wasn't visible, like earrings, rings, etc. They were faking a corpse retrieval to get past us!

So I smashed em.

Much of Xanit seemed to be confused by this. I don't think a lot of them believed me when I explained the situation. I suggested that if they were indeed naked, then the corpses I just made would be empty, and they would have no need to loot them when they came back.

Back they came and sure enough, they had to pause to loot their "empty" corpses.

Nevertheless, it was decided to let them pass, to go freely collect their non-existant corpses on the other side of the Grotto. This angered Slamz.

Once we'd gotten our guild together and moved through the Grotto, sure enough, the Prophets were on the other side, including the two we'd just allowed through, and they camped the zoneline against us.

I believe that battle is the one where I got Graym by himself in a 1 hour running battle with about 30 dragons involved, but that's a story for another time.

The bottom line is this:
Never trust a feeb.
Corpsecamp where corpsecamping is due.
Always bet on Iggle.
The Iggles Treatment ™ brings a tear to my eye.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
Hoofhurr Wrote:The Iggles Treatment ™ brings a tear to my eye.

Well hello there!
I remember that.
Still, the best times of my life in the Iggles!
blhurr, Slamz, how the fug are ya?
Zens Taobuddah
Yo Zens! Been doing damn well. We've been looking desperately for a game that is Iggles worthy. I've been tooling around with low level WoW characters and playing poker while waiting for Warhammer, Darkfall or any game with ballz. What have you been getting into lately bro?
Not much at all in the way of gaming.
I've been thinking about it alot though.
Living up north of Toronto now and I will be for a li'l while.
Working as a bartender in a small town.
Trying to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up.

Tell me more about you!
Hrm...that almost makes this sound like a Dating board Smile

A/S/L Tongue
ESO - Rallick of Purge (Sorceror) - The Purge (and various others)
RIFT - Rallock (Cleric) - Virus (Deepwood)
WAR - Rallick (ArchMage) - The Purge
WoW - Rallick/Mootendo - The Purge
EQ - Nintelten <Defiant>
The number of Canadians on this board is stifling! We may just have every gamer in Toronto in this guild. Anywho, living in AZ doing real estate. Weather is starting to get nice again. Down in the low 80s. Playing poker, womanizing, trying to make money.

I gave up trying to figure out what to do with my life. Aside from making money and celebrating my vitality I've got nothing else going on!
Oh dear. Long memories.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.meridime.com/viewtopic.php?t=26833&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0">http://forum.meridime.com/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0</a><!-- m -->

Dred
PostPosted: 10-25-2006 04:40 PM Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this the iksar monk Blhurr?

Breandan
PostPosted: 10-26-2006 06:40 AM Post subject: Reply with quote
Dred wrote:
Is this the iksar monk Blhurr?

Yes, Cavateum/Blhurr. I sent him over here from our guild boards to check out the old Iggles pics.

Dred
PostPosted: 10-26-2006 02:57 PM Post subject: Reply with quote
Dred wrote:
then he must've sold the character not long after Kunark because the one who griefed the shit outta me in front of KC was a cuntlet

Jaca
Tinthalating!
Tinthalating!
PostPosted: 10-26-2006 05:49 PM Post subject: Reply with quote
Hah, no kidding. I remember one incident of him griefing me, Cee and Tul pretty bad in SolB. Strange, because if it was him that I was guilded with in Purge he seemed like a pretty reasonable individual.

Blhurr
PostPosted: 10-27-2006 09:42 AM Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
=) I'm reasonable, but I love my pvp. Karnor's was a blast. Hi! I'd run in there by myself all the time and try and take on groups of you guys. Shit I'd stay for hours and hours back in those days...until I died. I always LnSed (that you can etch in stone) and if you didn't, I probably got on your nerves lol. SolB was definitely my favorite zone heh. I played 8 hours a day back then and you guys were the enemy. My goal? Make you guys leave the zone so I could kill shit without having to worry about getting ganked. No hard feelings eh?

PvP these days is like lets tickle eachother with our new rank3 spells on our way to Quest_006 and then be friends. PvP on VZ was, let's go into PoF, wipe their raid, steal CT from them after they've cleared the zone, and then preemptively send a tell to their allied guilds and let them know they have a friend that need a CR.

p.s. I had that account until Luclin. And you aren't the dred I was trying to get ahold of. Does Druukin Dred ever come here?

ThePurge.net
the way i remembered it was you could loot your corpse, but if you tried to sit and med (caster) or tried to stick around and not leave, you would be attacked again and again. numerous people tried to loot their corpse then tried to med, get popped so they would stand up, rinse repeat till they died again and again. one case in Lguk was milky (lev 50 high elf wizard) who had bound inside lguk at the waterfall area to the left of the dead side zone in. after he was killed we found out he was bound there and rushed to his bind point. he was trying to med and wouldnt leave so we killed him again, this went on for quite some time and a GM showed up. milky convinced the GM to let us let him med enough to port out since he was bound there so we relented. milky medded and when he stood he started casting IC (ice comet) think it hit diggles but didnt kill him. milky died alot that night after that hehe.