I need to get used to being a hunter...
so I'm running around Mulgore with my new level 12 hunter, looking for a quest mob that I need to kill, and I stumble across a rare mob, "The Rake".

what do I do? what I always do when I see a rare spawn -- I attack it immediately before someone else can tap it and grab its loot. I sic my pet on it, lay Hunter's Mark down on it and start blasting. A few moments before it dies it occurs to me that maybe it would make a better pet than the run-of-the-mill wolf I currently have, the type of wolf that wanders every nook and cranny of Mulgore.

it died.

I looked up The Rake on thottbot; apparently it's considered a must-have pet -- alliance players come over to Mulgore to get it. I spent the next hour or so running around Mulgore waiting for the respawn. Fortunately, thottbot also says that The Rake is just about the commonest rare mob in the game...

I now have my first "real" pet, and hopefully the knowledge to think twice before killing rare mobs from now on...

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Beast lore, know it , use it , love it.

It will tell you all you need t know before pressing the "auto-kill" button.