Remote Access Software
Looking into some software to help family members out since I am the computer tech of the family.

So far I've looked thru most of the popular programs, gotomypc & pcanywhere, and they charge a fucking arm and leg (monthly fee) which I am not going for at all.

Anyone have a recommendation? Right now I'm leaning torwards
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.radmin.com/">http://www.radmin.com/</a><!-- m --> which is only a one time $50 per computer I want to remote into to help
[should not have shot the dolphin]
You can try logmein, the free version doesn't let you transfer files from computer to computer but gives you full access to the remote pc.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.download.com/LogMeIn-Free/3000-7240_4-10317491.html">http://www.download.com/LogMeIn-Free/30 ... 17491.html</a><!-- m -->
I use RealVNC Free Edition unless I have some particular reason not to.

running a 64-bit OS counts as a reason not to, in that case I just use RDP (aka Terminal Services, aka Remote Desktop, aka Remote Assistance)

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
I always wonder why more people don't use Remote Desktop built into Windows. Does it not come with Home Edition or something?
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
RealVNC is free. It has a lot of limitations, but it works.

We use NetOp at work. It's awesome but I dunno how cheap it is.
Dustie Wrote:I always wonder why more people don't use Remote Desktop built into Windows. Does it not come with Home Edition or something?

the set of machines that can host a Remote Desktop session is slightly different from the set of machines that can view a Remote Desktop session (e.g. only Vista Business and Ultimate have RDP v6 clients). also, it is not necessarily true that any machine that is able to run the viewer will be able to connect to any host (e.g. Vista uses a different version of the RDP protocol).

VNC doesn't typically have these problems. any machine can run the host (including Win9x, Macs, Linux, etc.) and any machine can run the viewer. pretty much any viewer can connect to any host.

also, Remote Desktop doesn't always work the way you expect it to -- for example, OpenGL applications won't display on a Remote Desktop, but work fine with VNC.

-ken
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
Dustie Wrote:I always wonder why more people don't use Remote Desktop built into Windows. Does it not come with Home Edition or something?

Home edition can only request assistance, you need professional in order to remote in
[should not have shot the dolphin]
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.realvnc.com/">http://www.realvnc.com/</a><!-- m -->

VNC works well. We use it at work as well.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
to elaborate on why I don't use RealVNC on a 64-bit OS, let me give more detail:

1. I *do* install RealVNC on a 64-bit OS, because I always install it on all machines, and this ensures that I can always remote into the machine no matter what.

2. I *use* Remote Desktop rather than VNC when remoting into a 64-bit machine because, for most purposes, it gives better performance. RealVNC for Windows is currently only available in a 32-bit version, with a 32-bit "hook driver". the performance of a 32-bit driver on a 64-bit system is impacted by the need to switch back and forth between 64 and 32 bits, and as a result VNC viewer performance is noticeably slower when viewing a 64-bit Windows host.

3. I will still use VNC to view a 64-bit host, despite the lower performance, if any of the following are true:

a. I don't want to affect the desktop resolution (VNC will show the desktop as it is, Remote Desktop will try to resize it to something convenient for the viewer unless you make a special effort to prevent it).

b. I want to see visual effects that Remote Desktop won't show. for example, the nVidia hardware monitor utility doesn't display properly under Remote Desktop, but it works fine via VNC.

c. the machine I am using does not have mstsc.exe installed (the Remote Desktop client), and for whatever reason I am not able to install it, or I choose not to install it.

d. the machine I am using has mstsc.exe installed, but it is too much trouble to invoke it (for my purposes, I need to either invoke it from the command-line, e.g. "mstsc /v:192.245.245.1 /console" or make a shortcut with the appropriate command-line parameters).

-ken