Computer Flatpanels
I've been using a pair of really good CRTs for gaming, photoshop, film editing, etc., and am getting a bit tired of the bulk and weight of these things. I'd like to finally graduate to flat panel type monitors, but am unsure about what the best flat panels would be that a) have timings quick enough for gaming so there is zero ghosting, and b) best/most accurate color, contrast, brightness, etc., to do advanced photo and film editing.

I have a budget, but right now, for argument's sake, let's claim no budget - what are the best flat panel monitors for these sorts of activity?

Thanks in advance!
~ The Duskwood Gankster ~
WoW & Beyond: Grizzle / Grizol
EQ/SB: Rafkin / Kriticos / Dudain
I work with alot of cheap HP flatpanels at work and they dont compare to my 19" Viewsonic gaming monitor. I couldnt be more happy with my choice.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX924-Xtreme-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00094F6CO">http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX924-X ... B00094F6CO</a><!-- m -->

Only drawback is the viewing angle isnt all that great, its only 160ish
I am very happy with my Samsung 245BW 1900*1200, 24 inch. Good refresh rate, no ghosting, good stuff

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS24HUBCFV/XAA">http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/deta ... HUBCFV/XAA</a><!-- m -->

I also highly recommend Jake's mom: a 245 lb BBW.
I wanted to replace my wife's CRT's (Philips Brilliance 201P's) with a pair of flat panel displays, but I was unable to find any that had all of the following:

1. fast response time for gaming
2. good color accuracy for photo/video editing
3. 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio
4. pivot ability to allow use in portrait orientation
5. reasonable price (<$750 each)

generally, the panels that were fast were using panels that physically displayed fewer than 24 bits of color, while the panels that displayed 24 bits (or more) were either slow or hideously expensive.

there might have been some that were otherwise adequate, but wouldn't pivot. I don't recall. and I didn't look at any 4:3 panels, I was only interested in widescreens (or narrowscreens if you use them pivoted).

while doing research I found this buyer's guide to be an excellent resource. I focused my search on IPS panels (rather than TN or VA) based on the information I found there. for example, they list the Samsung 245BW as a "recommended" gaming display. I didn't choose it for my wife because it's natively only an 18-bit panel, and it's TN.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
I have the Gateway 22" DCDi monitor and love it. It is more expensive then others but quality is excellent, and the number of inputs is pretty cool. It even has a PIP and you can connect up a DVI input from a cable box.

I am toying with buying the 24 inch model and giving this 22 to my wife

Product Specifications

Viewable Area
22" viewable (diagonal)
16:10 aspect ratio
Panel Type
LCD active matrix TFT
Resolutions
1680 x 1050 (native and maximum)
Maximum Vertical Frequency: 76Hz
Maximum Horizontal Frequency: 83 KHz
Pixel Pitch
0.282mm
Brightness
300 cd/m²
Contrast Ratio
1000:1
Screen Treatment
Ultrabright glare
Response Time
4 ms (UltraResponse enabled)
5 ms (UltraResponse disabled)
Colors
16.7 million
Viewing Angles
160º left/right, 160º up/down
User Controls
Power on/off button, EzTouch on-screen display (OSD) menu, Touch-sensitive control
Signal Inputs
(1) HDMI
(1) Analog (VGA), 15-pin mini d-sub VGA
(1) Digital (DVI-D), 24-pin DVI-D
(1) Component
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
I have a 24" Samsung as well and have Zero issues with it.
ViewSonic has been my favorite. I have 4 flat panels, actually: ViewSonic VP201s, VP2030b, Sumsung Synchmaster 204b and a "Planar" somethingorother.

ViewSonic 2030b is my favorite. Good, vibrant colors and brightness.

I also like the 1600x1200 native resolution. My main PC is dual monitor with the second ViewSonic, which also supports 1600x1200. They're both great, but the 2030b is a little newer and a little brighter.

I do all my gaming on them and have never had any problems. The Samsung 204b was good too but just doesn't look as good when placed side by side to the ViewSonics. That said, ViewSonic tends to cost a little more.
grizzle Wrote:I've been using a pair of really good CRTs for gaming, photoshop, film editing, etc., and am getting a bit tired of the bulk and weight of these things. I'd like to finally graduate to flat panel type monitors, but am unsure about what the best flat panels would be that a) have timings quick enough for gaming so there is zero ghosting, and b) best/most accurate color, contrast, brightness, etc., to do advanced photo and film editing.

I have a budget, but right now, for argument's sake, let's claim no budget - what are the best flat panel monitors for these sorts of activity?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think "zero" ghosting is possible with LCD.

I was where you are now a few months back and I read a lot of resources but the best is a forum made sticky over at anandtech.

Here is the direct link

The LCD Thread

I went with the DoubleSight DS-263N. However I don't see it's listing in the thread anymore. It's a fantastic resource by users, not reviewers or advertisers. With my screen missing I am guessing they keep it current.

Hope this helps, also, I got my screen for about $750 before shipping and tax. not s single dead pixle and love it to death.

And also, it's not just response time that is an issue with gaming monitors but also input lag. the thread discusses it.
Ok, so after a loooong search, I finally dropped the green on this baby:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016084">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824016084</a><!-- m -->

Overall, really dig the monitor. Took awhile to get used to an LCD from the old CRT, but no noticable ghosting in the fastest of games.

Combined with a Spyder3, this thing is beautious! I'd highly recommend it.
~ The Duskwood Gankster ~
WoW & Beyond: Grizzle / Grizol
EQ/SB: Rafkin / Kriticos / Dudain
My biggest issue when I switched is it made me sick playing for 45 min + for about a week. Just the switch from an old PoS CRT to a good LCD.
The difference between me and every other asshole is that I know I am one.
I have a Dell 30" 3007WFP. I'm not sure what ghosting is I can't tell you if it happens on this monitor but it certainly doesn't make me sick to play. I haven't had a CRT since EQ.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3867828&CatId=2775">http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2775</a><!-- m -->

this is pretty much what i use, about 300$s at bestbuy last year. I love it. Dad also has a huge samsung 1080p TV. I'm starting to like the brand.
[Image: epicuo4.jpg]
SC2 Beta - Zerg
Gnarnok - White Lion - R40/RR54 - Retired
Gnarnok - 70 Gladiator Rogue - Retired
Yeah, this is the TV I have now, Samsung:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A650-46-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B001413D94/ref=cm_cr-mr-title">http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A650- ... r-mr-title</a><!-- m -->

Retardedly good quality compared to my previous old rear projection TV. 50,000:1, 4ms response time, 1920x1080 resolution. I could totally play games on that thing except I'd have to hang it on the wall and move my desk back about 6 feet.
I have a 20" widescreen viewsonic LCD monitor. and a 40" widescreen viewsonic TV... They are something great.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Slamz Wrote:Yeah, this is the TV I have now, Samsung:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A650-46-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B001413D94/ref=cm_cr-mr-title">http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46A650- ... r-mr-title</a><!-- m -->

Retardedly good quality compared to my previous old rear projection TV. 50,000:1, 4ms response time, 1920x1080 resolution. I could totally play games on that thing except I'd have to hang it on the wall and move my desk back about 6 feet.

Yep... same TV i got during black friday this year. Stupid good TV and I got it for a great price.

-turnip
Rift - Sornas | Warrior
GA - Sornas | Recon/Robotics
WoW - Sornas | Blood Elf Death Knight (Retired)
WoW - Sorna | Undead Priest (Retired)
WAR - Anros | Dwarf Engineer (Retired)
Lineage 2 - Anika | Silver Ranger (Retired)
EQ - Durgin Bladestorm | Dwarf Warrior (Retired)
Ya I dont remember the price but I know we got a couple free bluerays, a rebate from the nfl and something else.
[Image: epicuo4.jpg]
SC2 Beta - Zerg
Gnarnok - White Lion - R40/RR54 - Retired
Gnarnok - 70 Gladiator Rogue - Retired
I have a Dell 2408FWP. It is great.

I would suggest looking at the Dell outlet for very good cheap monitors.
Maranatha!

Maranatha\Amarantha\Dolmori\Helojoki

Riz says, "That's made of pure bacon and win!"
Snowreap Wrote:I wanted to replace my wife's CRT's (Philips Brilliance 201P's) with a pair of flat panel displays, but I was unable to find any that had all of the following:

1. fast response time for gaming
2. good color accuracy for photo/video editing
3. 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio
4. pivot ability to allow use in portrait orientation
5. reasonable price (<$750 each)

generally, the panels that were fast were using panels that physically displayed fewer than 24 bits of color, while the panels that displayed 24 bits (or more) were either slow or hideously expensive.

there might have been some that were otherwise adequate, but wouldn't pivot. I don't recall. and I didn't look at any 4:3 panels, I was only interested in widescreens (or narrowscreens if you use them pivoted).

while doing research I found this buyer's guide to be an excellent resource. I focused my search on IPS panels (rather than TN or VA) based on the information I found there. for example, they list the Samsung 245BW as a "recommended" gaming display. I didn't choose it for my wife because it's natively only an 18-bit panel, and it's TN.

-ken

Dell. That is all I have to say. Dell.

24" UltraShap Dell ($549.00)
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products...u=320-6272

Click here for all of the 24"+ Dell monitors, some are as cheap as $340.00.
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/category...l=en&s=dhs

I have the 24" UltraSharp myself, it's goooooooood.
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
you are insane buying cheap crap from Dell
[should not have shot the dolphin]
I have no complaints with my Dell monitor.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
Viewsonic has a 3-year manufacturer warranty. I am not sure what warranty's the other products have.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Diggles Wrote:you are insane buying cheap crap from Dell

You are sooooo totally wrong.

Dell makes some things just as good as everyone else.
Maranatha!

1000xZero Wrote:

says the guy who doesnt ever fix computer equipment
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Fretty Wrote:
Snowreap Wrote:while doing research I found this buyer's guide to be an excellent resource. I focused my search on IPS panels (rather than TN or VA) based on the information I found there. for example, they list the Samsung 245BW as a "recommended" gaming display. I didn't choose it for my wife because it's natively only an 18-bit panel, and it's TN.

Dell. That is all I have to say. Dell.

24" UltraShap Dell ($549.00)
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products...u=320-6272
the Dell 2408WFP is a nice monitor, but it uses S-PVA technology, which means that it exhibits color shift (the color you see changes if you move left or right, and as a result the color your left eye sees doesn't match the color your right eye sees) and it has very high input lag (64ms, or about 1/15th of a second).

the input lag is a real killer for FPS games. try getting a headshot on a moving target when your on-screen reticle doesn't show you what you'll hit if you press your fire button, but rather shows you what you would have hit if you had hit the fire button 1/15th of a second ago.

and the color shift makes it a bad monitor for photo editing.

other than that, it's a fine monitor. good for web surfing, office productivity, movies and RPG/RTS games where "twitch skills" aren't needed.

not something I'd buy for my wife, though.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Diggles Wrote:
1000xZero Wrote:

says the guy who doesnt ever fix computer equipment

LOL I have 18 years as a Systems Administrator and have fixed all sorts of equipment and built all types of equipment including computers from scratch including processors

Dell makes good equipment and actually have good "corporate" service. I never use their "help" because I can fix my on shit.

It is good value for money especially from the outlet.

BTW most companies buy all the parts from same manufacturers which is probably either Samsung or 2 other Taiwanese manufacturers.

Sony buys their LCDs from Samsung.
Maranatha!