General Electric
Has anyone here ever worked for, worked with (supplier, rep, etc), or know anyone that works at GE? Any GE division? I'm trying to do a little GE scuttlebutt but I literally don't know a single person with any direct knowledge of GE.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
I know a person who was an Ex-Investment Banker who went to GE Capital in Stamford, CT and did not like the experience.

Part of it was the commute from Manhattan and part was the people and atmosphere but again this was 1999-2001.
Maranatha!

Maranatha\Amarantha\Dolmori\Helojoki

Riz says, "That's made of pure bacon and win!"
We move all of their goods.

Vllad
all I know is I bought GE last summer at 25. Thought it was a steal. It went to 30. I was proud. I kept it. Its 11 now. I still have it........
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Vanraw Wrote:all I know is I bought GE last summer at 25. Thought it was a steal. It went to 30. I was proud. I kept it. Its 11 now. I still have it........

Got ya beat; I bought into an oil company at $0.47/share. It's currently at $0.035/share.

Oh, and I still own BRE-X. Wink
(Remember that one? Because I can't seem to forget...)
Fretty
Guild Wars 2: Fretty The Charming - Mesmer(currently inactive)
Rift: Nico - Cleric Extraordinaire // Fretty - Radical Rogue(currently inactive)
Eve: Fret V2 - EW Master of the Universe (currently inactive)
Your head, my lap. 'Nuff said.
I bought dryships at 30, it went to 130 and I sold half of it.. Today it is at 6.43.. I am kicking myself for not selling it all.
A year or two back I bought Goldcorp out of the money calls that went up almost 1000% in the course of a few weeks. Held onto most of them too long, and they expired worthless...

Right now I'm All In with Bank of America and Ultra Financials out of the money Feb calls. Counting on Congress and Geithner to get a decent stimulous and Bad Bank plan out by next Friday or I'm screwed...
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Try buying AIG at $50... now its like $3
Grieve Wrote:A year or two back I bought Goldcorp out of the money calls that went up almost 1000% in the course of a few weeks. Held onto most of them too long, and they expired worthless...

Right now I'm All In with Bank of America and Ultra Financials out of the money Feb calls. Counting on Congress and Geithner to get a decent stimulous and Bad Bank plan out by next Friday or I'm screwed...

guess you've never heard the phrase...diversify diversify diversify

watch Mad Money with Jim Kramer!
[should not have shot the dolphin]
I watched Cramer for years, and sometimes still do, but his picks are wrong way too often. Fast Money is a better bet - you can pick some great trading ideas there.

Bank of America up 22% today and my options are up 50%...question is whether I have the balls to ride it out through the John Lewis interview on CNBC and stimulous/bad bank plan...
Yea Ive been jumping in and out of options on a couple companies. JNJ and Toyota have been cyclical repeaters.

On GE, Today they announced they will keep the 31 cent dividend. Pretty dam good for a $11 dollar stock, as long as it doesn't become a $1 stock.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Vllad Wrote:We move all of their goods.

Vllad

do you interface with any of the GE people?
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Their forklift parts are crap.
Observe Adapt Overcome

Plooot - lvl 80 Thief
Ill Tempered Rabbit -lvl 41 Hammer Guardian
Illusionary Doolist - lvl 10 irritating Mesmer
Venganza Wrote:Their forklift parts are crap.

Do you get the parts from someone else instead? Who?
The problem with all the financials (or all companies with large financial arms, like GE) is that investors are afraid that they will either go out of business, or be nationalized, or that the common shares will be wiped out through some other government action, such as major dilution.

I don't think there is any doubt that GE, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and so on are excellent companies that will be worth much, much more in a few years...if they survive. But it is entirely possible that they won't, which makes any long term investment pretty much a gamble.

So really, why risk it? There are plenty of excellent companies out there that are beaten down right now that are far safer to invest in for the long haul. Apple and Microsoft aren't going anywhere, unless we truly do have armageddon. Or go with McDonalds, or WallMart. For now, bank stocks are just too risky.

Having said that, they are great for a trade! GE up 13% today, and BAC has doubled since it's low on Thursday.
Grieve Wrote:The problem with all the financials (or all companies with large financial arms, like GE) is that investors are afraid that they will either go out of business, or be nationalized, or that the common shares will be wiped out through some other government action, such as major dilution.

I don't think there is any doubt that GE, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and so on are excellent companies that will be worth much, much more in a few years...if they survive. But it is entirely possible that they won't, which makes any long term investment pretty much a gamble.

So really, why risk it? There are plenty of excellent companies out there that are beaten down right now that are far safer to invest in for the long haul. Apple and Microsoft aren't going anywhere, unless we truly do have armageddon. Or go with McDonalds, or WallMart. For now, bank stocks are just too risky.

Having said that, they are great for a trade! GE up 13% today, and BAC has doubled since it's low on Thursday.

That fear is exactly why the price of those companies is well below their real value. The only real question for me is how long that fear remains in place before I see a return on my investment and I get to say "I told you so" .. maybe it will be 2-3 years, who knows. I'm mostly refering to Wells since I know alot about them. I still need to get that confidence level with GE and decide if I want to get more into it.
I don't disagree about the fear, I'm saying that the fear is warranted.
What do you know that makes you sure they will survive? Or do you look on this as a calculated gamble?

Plus the real value of the banks is very difficult to ascertain, due to the unknown amount of losses they will take from bad assets. Many would argue they are effectively insolvent right now.

As for Wells Fargo in particular, here's a closer look at their balance sheet: http://www.minyanville.com/articles/index/a/20901
Grieve Wrote:I don't disagree about the fear, I'm saying that the fear is warranted.
What do you know that makes you sure they will survive? Or do you look on this as a calculated gamble?

Plus the real value of the banks is very difficult to ascertain, due to the unknown amount of losses they will take from bad assets. Many would argue they are effectively insolvent right now.

As for Wells Fargo in particular, here's a closer look at their balance sheet: http://www.minyanville.com/articles/index/a/20901

I don't know that they all will all survive, but I do know that the leaders will survive. Wells is a leader, GE, not sure -- it once was.

Think about this, Wells just bought Wachovia for 15 billion in stock. Before this crisis, the "market" valued Wachovia at 80-100 billion. Wells did exactly what any sane person would do, buy a huge asset for 85% off. That margin of safety along with Wells established track record is what gives me confidence. In a few years when things return to normal, even assuming normal means 50% of what they were in 2006, Wells ends up with 50 billion in value that cost it 15 billion. That's all putting aside Well's existing industry leading business and the effect it will have once fully integrated.

I'll look at that balance sheet analysis later.
One of the main hitters for GE is the GE capital division that is in the same shape as the banks.

Over all, Im with Dustie though. I'm looking for bargains that will double in 2 to 3 years. The only bet is weather or not we will go into a depression or slip out from a nasty depression.

I'm betting we come out of this.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

Grieve, one other bit of confidence, we have still have Geithner at Treasury who will fight back the populist.

Quote:Mr. Geithner also expressed concern that too many government controls would discourage private investors from participating.

Plan article from NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/busine...ut.html?hp