Jack Thompson gets a victory
Ok, I assume you all know who Jack Thompson is. That being said I do not know if this should be in the political section or not but I think we can discuss this as adults so Ill post it here. If you want it moved do so.

Anywho on to the discussion. First read this : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/24/jack-thompson-bill-overwhelmingly-approved-utah-house-committee">http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/24/ ... -committee</a><!-- m -->

Now, what are your thoughts? I am of the opinion that this is 1) not going to work and 2) is giving unwarranted power to the ESRB. Let me explain the second point further. The ESRB is a private organization. It was founded to give parents a recommendation as to whether or not to buy a game. By passing this law they are giving the ESRB indirect power over the entire video game industry. I'm not saying this will happen but what would happen if the ESRB started to "blackmail" video game companies.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?
The difference between me and every other asshole is that I know I am one.
i am going to assume that their supreme court will toss it out, just like California did
[should not have shot the dolphin]
The text says it would only apply to retailers that already state they wont sell to underage, so if they don't make the claim they are immune to law.

My question is how a disbarred attorney gets to start proposing legislature?

Oh wait.. utah.. got it.
I saw that Jake but I still think its kinda sketchy. Thompson makes my list of people I wouldn't shed a tear about if they got shot twice in the head.
The difference between me and every other asshole is that I know I am one.
Jodah Wrote:I saw that Jake but I still think its kinda sketchy. Thompson makes my list of people I wouldn't shed a tear about if they got shot twice in the head.

Let's just hope to god that if/when this happens, it's not done by some kid who was neglected by his parents, but allowed to play super mario brothers.
[Image: 9390838iRwko.png]