Stock Market PvP
Since a couple of people have expressed an interest, I'll host a "Fantasy Football"-style stock picking game. If you want to take part, you just have to list up to 10 stock/fund/ETF tickers, and then amount of your $100k you want want to allocate to them.

I'll enter the info into a Google Finance portfolio, and then post how everyone is doing here at the end of each week. Stock PvP. Smile

OFX Files (out of date)
If you want to track the stocks yourself, download these, rename them to a .ofx extension, and import into Google Finance porfolios (I used a different portfolio for each person):

Grieve
Thudz
Venganza
Zephrys
Dustie
Breand
Vanraw

Rules
o No options
o No day trading
o $100k to start
o Buys and sells priced at end of day.
o Trades (buys or sells) cost $10
o Dividends honored (if you notify me)

[Image: Scores10.JPG]

Portfolios (as of 3:30pm Monday, July 20th, 2009 - OUT OF DATE)
Vanraw
[Image: Vanraw1.JPG]

Grizzle (backdated to 3/6/09 as an experiment)
[Image: Grizzle1.JPG]

amins
[Image: Amins1.JPG]

Zephrys
[Image: Zephrys1.JPG]

Breand
[Image: Breand1.JPG]

Bonestomper
[Image: Bonestomper1.JPG]

Dustie
[Image: Dustie1.JPG]

Hoofhurr
[Image: Hoof1.JPG]

Grieve
[Image: Grieve1.JPG]

Venganza
[Image: Venganza1.JPG]

Slamz
$100,000 His Mattress (under)

Thudz
[Image: Thudz1.JPG]
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Fun fun. Reserving this space for my picks.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
O.O i'm so down for this. What would be cool to come out of this, and if we could find some actual Investment Advisors or Economists with extensive trading knowledge to lead or help us create an Investment Group... meaning if our picks actually work out with good profits, as a group we could create an investment fund!

Anyhow,

<reserved>

EDIT: Also, for our picks... should we be distinquishing Trader vs Investment stocks? Because some stocks make great Trader (1-45 day type investments) vs 6mo + Investments...

Example, I know a fair ammount of high volume stocks which make for great Option Strategies, where you don't care if the market goes up or down but just moves vs Stocks based on Company profiling vs IPO's.
Here's mine (I'll price it at the end of the day):

$20,000 GLD (Gold ETF)
$10,000 USO (Oil ETF)
$10,000 TBT (short Treasuries ETF)
$10,000 WFC (Wells Fargo, bank stock)
$10,000 FXI (China ETF)
$10,000 WMT (Walmart, retail stock)
$10,000 MO (Altria, cancer stick stock)
$10,000 POT (Potash, fertilizer stock)
$10,000 AAPL (Apple, tech stock)
$25,000 - RGR
$75,000 - SWHC
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
amins Wrote:O.O i'm so down for this. What would be cool to come out of this, and if we could find some actual Investment Advisors or Economists with extensive trading knowledge to lead or help us create an Investment Group... meaning if our picks actually work out with good profits, as a group we could create an investment fund!
I think, as in politics, we might have trouble agreeing on the stocks to go in such a fund. Smile I've been doing a similar thing to this with Dustie (except using real money), and we have utterely opposing investing approaches (I'm a trader, he's a long-term Buffet-like value player).

Quote:Also, for our picks... should we be distinquishing Trader vs Investment stocks? Because some stocks make great Trader (1-45 day type investments) vs 6mo + Investments...
I'd go for a 1 year horizon, since there is no trading allowed (unless someone with more time to burn than me wants to track it). Incidently, in the game a bunch of us played at work we did allow trading, and the two traders topped the list. However, the buy-and-hold guys were not far behind (and spent considerably less time on it).
Reserved...will we be including dividend returns or are we just going based solely on stock value? Im normally a dividend whore, so that will affect my strategy if we are going solely off the stock price.
Breand Wrote:Reserved...will we be including dividend returns or are we just going based solely on stock value? Im normally a dividend whore, so that will affect my strategy if we are going solely off the stock price.
We'll include dividends, as long as you notify me (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jamestmorton@gmail.com">jamestmorton@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->) when the divdend occurs, and tell me if you want to reinvest or keep as cash.
How will we buy and sell?

Or is this just a pick and watch?

Reserved.....

Picks

20k UGA (Gasoline ETF)
20k DRYS (Dry Shipping Company)
20k F (Ford)
20k WFC (Wells Fargo)
20k GRT (Glimcher Realty Trust)
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
cool, Im literally leaving for a road trip this minute, so I wont be able to make picks until Sunday/Monday.
Vanraw Wrote:How will we buy and sell?

Or is this just a pick and watch?
Just a pick and watch, unless there is volunteer to do the legwork. I did that last time, but don't have the time these days...

I guess it's an experiment to see which of us can pick the stocks that will do well over the next year, whatever may happen with the market.
Ok here is my quick picks

NYSE:C Citigroup (10K)

TSE:RIM Research in Motion (15K)

NYSETongueGH Pengrowth Energy Trust (10K)

NYSE:GE General Electric (25K)

NASDAQ:GERN Geron Corporation (10K)

OTC:MCET MultiCell Technologies, Inc (5K)

NASDAQ:ATHX Athersys, Inc ( 7K)

TSE:TD Toronto-Dominion Bank (18K )
Thudz Wrote:$25,000 - RGR
$75,000 - SWHC
See, you were exactly the person I was thinking of when I joked about picking gun manufacturers in the other thread. Wink
$100,000 - 12 month ING CD @ 1.5% APY

On second thought, I'll just stuff it into my mattress.
Grieve Wrote:
Thudz Wrote:$25,000 - RGR
$75,000 - SWHC
See, you were exactly the person I was thinking of when I joked about picking gun manufacturers in the other thread. Wink

In just this year I have spent over 3K on firearms, ammo and firearms accessories. Every shop owner I talk to says their sales have increased 400+% since the election. This industry has no where to go but up.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
Grieve Wrote:
amins Wrote:O.O i'm so down for this. What would be cool to come out of this, and if we could find some actual Investment Advisors or Economists with extensive trading knowledge to lead or help us create an Investment Group... meaning if our picks actually work out with good profits, as a group we could create an investment fund!

I think, as in politics, we might have trouble agreeing on the stocks to go in such a fund. Smile I've been doing a similar thing to this with Dustie (except using real money), and we have utterely opposing investing approaches (I'm a trader, he's a long-term Buffet-like value player).

Well, if we created a diversified portfolio based on sectors (limiting the ammount of picks per person per sector) wouldn't be too difficult to manage.

I would also hope this would start, after a couple fantasy games so we know who the ringers are! I mean, it's real money now and there's no room for emotion!
Slamz Wrote:$100,000 - 12 month ING CD @ 1.5% APY

On second thought, I'll just stuff it into my mattress.

lol let me plug that into my historical model........ Slamz wins!
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

If the time horizon is one year I'm out. =)

Who puts money in the stock market hoping for a high probablity of showing results in 1 year? Make this a 20 year game, and I'm in!
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
yeah dustie I had to look at what I thought might make good advances in the next year.. made me look at things a little different.
If its 20 years, I might not live that long!

We should set some time limit on this for medium term investing.

For instance define the start date, and use the closing price that day of the stock.

Then define the end date. Something like 3 or 4 months.

If its a short term or long term game then we need to be able to buy and sell.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

I'm fine with doing a 20 year timeline, but I'm not sure how many of us will still be on this board then... Hell, the way things are going, we might be back in the stone age by then. Wink

Okay, buying and selling is in, but try to keep it somewhat limited (i.e. not 20 trades in one day!). Also, no options.

For timeline, we'll just keep it going as long as people are interested. But I would say the goal should be to see how everyone is doing in 6 or 12 months (and Dustie can come back in 20 years if the internet is still around then).

I'll add everyone who's already said they want to take part - if anyone else does, shout out by the end of the weekend. Any picks you send me by the end of the weekend will be priced at Friday's closing price. Any trades after that (buys or sells) will be priced at the end that day (no day trading!)

Have at it!
Ok, since I made my 20 year disclaimer, I'm in for the short term game.

100K in WFC
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
I'll play:

20k in WMT "walmart" safe bet
40k in RGLD "gold" for the scared shitless people out there
40k in BBY "Best Buy" for the people rich enough to say, what recession?
Observe Adapt Overcome

Plooot - lvl 80 Thief
Ill Tempered Rabbit -lvl 41 Hammer Guardian
Illusionary Doolist - lvl 10 irritating Mesmer
I'll make my picks here this weekend.
Just to get something going..didnt have any time to do alot of research so I might resell this in a couple weeks.

20k PGH
20k HIMX
20K NEM
10k STEM
5k CVC (gotta represent)
10k AOB
15k GLD