If
another journalist uses the phrase 'perfect storm' to describe a confluence of amplifying factors I'm going to break something electronic containing speakers.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
I agree. The next time I hear that phrase, I hopes it's from someone saying "hey, do you want to watch that Clooney(sp?) movie where the fishing boat gets stuck in a storm, what's it called?"
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
People who refer to shitty movies as opposed to the literature they were adapted from them should be crucified.
Jakensama Wrote:People who refer to shitty movies as opposed to the literature they were adapted from them should be crucified.

I have the book and the movie!

Incidentally, I'm not one of those book snobs who continually spout:

"hey uh, the movie is not as good as the book, uhh, I can't believe they couldn't condense 300 pages of information into a two hour movie to my satisfaction, uhhh, can you believe it? uhh Mark walberger-whoever sucks uhh"
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
/agree

like this economic/financial mess is not a perfect storm or once in a century problem. It was very clear and stupid overspending
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Dustie Wrote:
Jakensama Wrote:People who refer to shitty movies as opposed to the literature they were adapted from them should be crucified.

I have the book and the movie!

Incidentally, I'm not one of those book snobs who continually spout:

"hey uh, the movie is not as good as the book, uhh, I can't believe they couldn't condense 300 pages of information into a two hour movie to my satisfaction, uhhh, can you believe it? uhh Mark walberger-whoever sucks uhh"

I don't bitch about the movies, just when people don't realize the source material came first. Like fight club, which was a servicable movie but this dumb bitch who saw the book on my shelf asked why I bought novelizations of movies.

Mark Walbergs great.
I am going to pistol whip the next person that says Shenanigans.
The difference between me and every other asshole is that I know I am one.
The prez said shenanigans in his st pattys day speech
[Image: epicuo4.jpg]
SC2 Beta - Zerg
Gnarnok - White Lion - R40/RR54 - Retired
Gnarnok - 70 Gladiator Rogue - Retired
Saying like in conversation as a fluency break should be punishable by catapulting.
"Ground zero" is one that got old fast, when used not in relation to the 9/11 site. Actually, even when it was used for the 9/11 site.

For example, "I'm down here at the cookie dough factory where the cookie dough making machine went on the blitz and spewed cookie dough all over the factory workers. Standing at ground zero, it sure is a doughy mess! *wink to the camera*"

The other one that gets me is politicians and officials starting sentences with the word "Look". What it tells me is that they are about to make some off-the-wall claim, or a line of bullshit, or they have no clue what they are talking about, but they think if they prefix their statement with a commanding word like "Look", then the listener will think there must be some truth to it or the statement is more important than it really is.

It also gets to me because when speaking to a person, they should be using the word "listen". Them saying "look" to a listener is like the old joke with two guys in the woods, "Listen! Did you smell that?"
~ The Duskwood Gankster ~
WoW & Beyond: Grizzle / Grizol
EQ/SB: Rafkin / Kriticos / Dudain
Has anyone noticed "optics" died a few years ago but has re-emerged? I don't like that one either.
I haven't noticed that one. How is it used?
grizzle Wrote:I haven't noticed that one. How is it used?

It's used to mean "how something looks from the outside regardless of whether it's truly right or wrong"

It's basically a shorter version of perception is reality which I also dislike.
Everyone please stay away from the word "SYNERGY" in the work place. Synergy comes with a empty box for all your shit.

By the way Perfect Storm was definitely a great book. Rarly do you read something with such technical detail that keeps you plastered to the story. Good stuff.

Movie was meh...
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Vanraw Wrote:Everyone please stay away from the word "SYNERGY" in the work place. Synergy comes with a empty box for all your shit.

By the way Perfect Storm was definitely a great book. Rarly do you read something with such technical detail that keeps you plastered to the story. Good stuff.

Movie was meh...

I thought there was a good synergy between the book and the movie whereby they really enhanced the over-all value prop of the dynamic between the two.

Speaking of, I would like to add "value prop" the the list. Is it really that hard to say the -osition in proposition?
If we are moving on to the workplace, I'll throw "super" into the mix. Nothing like going to a meeting and hearing "our leader" say, "We've got a really super project up ahead of us! And we have such a super team working on it! I'm super, super excited about everything!"

People who use "super" as their only descriptor makes me want to kick them in the mouth. A super kick to the mouth.
For all the sports fans....

"Plays with his heart"
"Blue collar"
"Energy guy"
"All heart"
"Pure hustle"
Super kicks are funny.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/32AADVvyN-s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/32AADVvyN-s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
The difference between me and every other asshole is that I know I am one.
I've been noticing a sea change with this one.
this thread is full of key learnings.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
I think we're pulling out some key take-aways from this talk. I'll write it all up and then we can do a SWOT analysis with it. Before that, we may want to brain storm a little and make sure we're not missing any of the key drivers to this whole process. I really want to drive continuous process improvement. In the end, we all really just exist here to support our customers and I want to get our point gaurds out front and have them be customer-facing with a good value prop. Any synergies I'm missing? I mean the optics of all this need to be managed yet at the same time we need to drive the vision forward while we get a tiger team together to address those hot issues.
We should definitely put together a daily scrum until we get this thread sorted out. The date of our thread's post mortem is TBD until we get this launched. Dustie's action item list is a super takeaway from this meeting.

I'm super excited about this project! Everyone is doing a super job! Keep up the super work! Have a super weekend!
Dustie, that made me throw up a little bit.... hehe
Alio, was it just too motivational? Did it make you want to go have a meeting right now? =)

Griz,
Good call on action items!
We to set obtainable milestones. Remember if you cant measure it, you cant manage it. Lets all get together and do some Knowledge share and use the best practices. Repeatable success and the bottom line is what its all about. Lets pull up our trousers and look for synergies so we can have a pleasant RIF.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]