Pepsi/Mountain Dew Throwback
Made with real sugar! Just picked up 6 twelve packs of each.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
probably better than corn sryup
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Hell yeah it is. How old are you? Do you not remember when all soda was made with real sugar?
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Theres a bottling plant in TX where you can get Dr. Pepper made with sugar from too.
Is this some sort of wacked out offshoot of the organic foods industry?

I'd love to buy some DP and Mountain Dew with real sugar in it. mmmm. Just to see what it tastes like really.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
Almost wish I could still drink soda.
so far, I haven't found real sugar to be an improvement in soda. at least not in the brands I've tried already.

I'll definitely have to give these a try, though, if they're available in my area.

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Do you guys seriously not remember when every soda was made with real sugar? I still remember the first day in 1985 when I had a Coke made with corn syrup, I that it had gone bad. When I realized they no longer used sugar alittle bit of me died inside.

The Jason Deli near my work use to have Dr. Pepper on fountain that was made with Imperial Cane Sugar like Jake was saying. It was the only reason I went there. One day I see a sign on their door that they will no longer be serving this and I've never been back.

-Thomas Jefferson

Ahh wait a second. Is this why the coca-cola from Mexico kicks the domestic shit out of the cooler? I always thought it was because of the glass bottles.
Hoofhurr Wrote:Ahh wait a second. Is this why the coca-cola from Mexico kicks the domestic shit out of the cooler? I always thought it was because of the glass bottles.

Probably. Every year during Passover you can find Coke in the 2-liters with a Yellow cap. If you check the ingredients you'll see it's made with sugar instead of corn syrup I guess to be kosher. I always keep an eye out for the yellow cap and buy as much as they have when I see it.

-Thomas Jefferson

There's an "organic" soda I buy at the supermarket whenever I see it's on sale. Root beer and orange. No corn syrup, sugar only. It's awesome, but way too frickin' expensive to buy regularly.

If major manufacturers are switching back, I may give them a try.

Didn't Coke make the switch during the "New Coke" debacle? They brought back the "original formula" but they had switched it from sugar to corn syrup?

I always thought that was intentional, to try and disguise the difference in taste. Rather than just change the formula one day, they switch to an obviously different formula, take the expected protests and bring back "Coke Classic" but with corn syrup. It was the one way to make the switch while deflecting complaints. Few people would have an old coke and a "Coke Classic" to try side by side.
I'm all over this. Apparently distributors had been hounding corporate for a while, because there was heavy consumer demand for the Mexican/Kosher versions of the soda which use sugar instead of corn syrup. There's a couple taco shops near me that sell the bottled mexican Coke and it's a world of difference in taste.

Also, sugar gives your body a feeling of "full" quicker than corn syrup. One 12oz bottle of sugar-soda is plenty for me, but if I'm not paying attention I can make a 44oz of regular soda disappear before I notice.
I don't drink pop at all. Thats right POP. I'm from Chicago.

I haven't for years. Primary drink is water.

Well and beer. And wine. Oh and tequila.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
My soda intake is almost to zero these days. 10 years ago it was all I drank. Call it corn syrup, guilt or boredom but I can't drink it like I used to. These days 90% of my liquid intake is tea. Must be my British ancestry.

Still, I'll look for this new Pepsi or Mt. Dew and give it a try if I think about it next time I'm in the grocery store.
Do you ruin tea like all my Georgia relatives and saturate it with 99% sugar, or are you on the slower path to diabetes?
Jakensama Wrote:Do you ruin tea like all my Georgia relatives and saturate it with 99% sugar, or are you on the slower path to diabetes?
/hijack

Depends.

Cold Lipton = unsweet
Hot Lipton = sweetened with honey (honey has become my sweetener of choice... if I go to a restaurant I usually just drink unsweet iced tea)
Other teas (green, Darjeeling, etc) = hot and unsweet

Incidentally, I hate Earl Gray tea. Picard likes it, but it tastes vaguely like a combination of licorice and pine bark to me.
Good man.. A nice big glass of unsweet tea is one of the big food/beverage items I miss from back home.
Tea isn't popular in Germany? Somehow I thought tea was fairly global. Maybe it's just big in America because of our British roots?
Regular tea sure, but Iced tea isn't seen very often. If it is it is those prebottled presweetened ones. I can certainly brew my own and ice it, but of course ice makers and refrigerators larger than a shoebox are not popular here.
I drink water and beer. Occasionally orange juice but mostly water and beer. My teeth shatter at the thought of drinking soda regularly.
I generally rock some water/tea/oj/milk and soda in restaurants.
[Image: epicuo4.jpg]
SC2 Beta - Zerg
Gnarnok - White Lion - R40/RR54 - Retired
Gnarnok - 70 Gladiator Rogue - Retired
Jakensama Wrote:Regular tea sure, but Iced tea isn't seen very often. If it is it is those prebottled presweetened ones. I can certainly brew my own and ice it, but of course ice makers and refrigerators larger than a shoebox are not popular here.
the tea comes out better if you brew it using cold water. less bitter that way. of course, it takes a lot longer (several days) but that just means you need to start earlier. so you wouldn't need the ice maker, but you'd still need a fridge large enough to hold 5-6 days' worth of in-progress tea.

I do enjoy the occasional Sweet Tea when I'm in a part of the country that offers it, but usually I get it unsweetened. in NJ, you have to ask whether the tea is brewed or if it comes from a powder, because some restaurant staff consider powdered sweetened flavored tea drinks to be "tea".

-ken
New World: Snowreap
Life is Feudal: Snowreap Iggles, Taralin Iggles, Preyz Iggles
Naval Action: Taralin Snow, Snowy Iggles
EQ2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Taralin, Disruption, Preyz, Taralynne, Snowy, Snowz
ESO: Snowreap, Yellowtail
PS2: Snowreap
GW2: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Taralynne
RIFT: Snowreap, Yellowtail, Preyz, Taralin, Snowy
PotBS (British): Taralin Snow, Taralynne Snow, Snowy Iggles, Edward Snow
PotBS (Pirate): Taralin Snowden, Taralynne Snowden, Redshirt Snowden
WW2O: Snowreap
WAR: Snowreap, Preyz, Lbz, Leadz, Snowz, Taralin, Snowmeltz, Yellowtail, Snowbankz
APB: Snowreap, Sentenza
STO: Snowreap@Snowreap, Snowz@Snowreap
AoC: Yellowtail, Snowreap, Snowstorm, Redshirt
WoW (Horde): Snowreap, Savagery, Baelzenun, Wickedwendy, Taralin, Disruption, Scrouge, Bette
WoW (Alliance): Yellowtail, Wickedwendy, Snowreap
AC1: Snowstorm, Yellowtail, Shirt Ninja, Redshirt
Snowreap Wrote:
Jakensama Wrote:in NJ, you have to ask whether the tea is brewed or if it comes from a powder, because some restaurant staff consider powdered sweetened flavored tea drinks to be "tea".

-ken

What?! Confusedhock:
[Image: epicuo4.jpg]
SC2 Beta - Zerg
Gnarnok - White Lion - R40/RR54 - Retired
Gnarnok - 70 Gladiator Rogue - Retired
It's criminal what passes for "tea" in some places around here in NJ... My wife and I are big Iced Tea drinkers (her - unsweet, me - just a little sugar). I can't tell you how many times we've ordered iced tea and nearly spewed the first gulp out because it was that Brisk shit out of the fountain. When you are expecting unsweetened Iced Tea and you get Brisk it can be pretty shocking.

We've found the safest way to go is to order specifically "unsweetened ided tea" and that usually gets the job done. They either have it or they give you fair warning that they don't.

Back to soda... I'd like to try some Sugar Coke... I'm not sure I've ever had it and I do like a nice cold Coke over ice every once and a while.
WAR = Zeel, Zeelio, Sheldon
WoW = Zeelio
EQ = Sheldon
RL = Sean
the only reason to drink coke is because it is mixed with Rum.

Coffee. a pot a day. black, or with a bit of milk. no sugar.