Star Trek
So, the Wolverine thread got me thinking. I'm really looking forward to the new Star Trek movie but everything I've heard about it says that hardcore Star Trek fans might be dissapointed.

I think Joss Whedon did a great job with sci-fi in Firefly so I think I'll enjoy the movie either way. I just hope it doesn't hurt too much.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
What does Whedon have to do with it, its a JJ Abrams movie??

A couple buddies saw it when they had a surprise showing at the Alamo Draft house and both said it was fantastic. One was a kinda trekkie the other didnt care.

From the spoilers I know hard core trekkies might get pissed at a few things, but since only 2 star trek movies have been good before this I don't think they are the target audience anymore Smile
100% fresh at RT so far, ranging from fan sites like AICN to Variety and the Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

I'm looking forward to it!
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Quote:What does Whedon have to do with it, its a JJ Abrams movie??

He has everything to do with it if you've spent the last 2 months in an alcohol stupor.

How did I get that confused? :oops:

I'm still ok with it. Big Grin

-Orsun
My sis saw a preview screening and thought it was amazing. She's not into Trek, tho. But I say screw it, if we have one movie that makes Trek acceptable to a worldwide fanbase, that is fun to watch to boot, I say why not? Plus, Wrath of Khan was really the only good Trek movie anyways.

And the bonus is we may get a new Trek series from all the money generated.
I'm looking forward to it. Star Trek has been needing a fresh start for a while. I don't mind if they re-invent and modernize the show a bit.

But so help me god, if Kirk cries and throws paint on the Enterprise, I'm making a special trip out to Hollywood.
As long as it doesnt cut away at a climactic point and say LOST at the end before ending, I'll be happy.
I'd say expectations have been considerably lowered around here. :lol:
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
Unless they screw up some age old Star Trek tradition, etc... i think the updatded look will be a good thing for the ST franchise. It needed to get a face lift.

-turnip
Rift - Sornas | Warrior
GA - Sornas | Recon/Robotics
WoW - Sornas | Blood Elf Death Knight (Retired)
WoW - Sorna | Undead Priest (Retired)
WAR - Anros | Dwarf Engineer (Retired)
Lineage 2 - Anika | Silver Ranger (Retired)
EQ - Durgin Bladestorm | Dwarf Warrior (Retired)
I would like to see some seminal moments, like, what was the argument that Spock had wih his father about joining Starfleet, or how did Kirk became such a manho?

-Orsun
Apparently they do toss in the Kobayashi Maru thing for trek nerds.
Jakensama Wrote:Apparently they do toss in the Kobayashi Maru thing for trek nerds.

And does he re-program the simulator to make it possible to rescue the ship? Tongue

-turnip
Rift - Sornas | Warrior
He was going to but he got too depressed about the idea of dishonesty and cried into his cereal instead.
HAHAHA.... DIAF.

-turnip
Rift - Sornas | Warrior
Did anyone read that trek book where they go thru how each of the main Trek characters did on the Kobayashi Maru test? It's great, especially the Scotty one, who takes out like 15 klingon ships =)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kobayashi_Maru_(novel">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kobayashi_Maru_(novel</a><!-- m -->)
The previews for this look really good.
Going to go the with a bunch of people to see it tonight. I'll post what I thought of the Star Trek movie later tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully it will be good.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
NBC Nightly news had some piece about this movie and the fucktard reporter couldnt even do the 'live long and prosper' hand gesture right
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Just got home from seeing this.

Loved it, never been big into Star Trek though.
Grumbles -{Engineer}- <Purge>
Valthar --{Shadowknight}-- <Fated>EQ
It was awesome. Hard core geeks will of course hate it since they hate everything. Me and my friends decided it was the biggest budget fan film ever made. It had pretty much everything in it that a epic fan film should have. The only complaint we could come up with was it needed more Scotty. Other than that it was awesome.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Diggles Wrote:NBC Nightly news had some piece about this movie and the fucktard reporter couldnt even do the 'live long and prosper' hand gesture right

Its genetic, alot of people can't do it.
And even more people don't give a fuck. I'd rather stick you with a Dane Cook than a Vulcan anyday!
hey he's got a new special soon! hope he redeems himself after that last one.
[Image: epicuo4.jpg]
SC2 Beta - Zerg
Gnarnok - White Lion - R40/RR54 - Retired
Gnarnok - 70 Gladiator Rogue - Retired
Jakensama Wrote:
Diggles Wrote:NBC Nightly news had some piece about this movie and the fucktard reporter couldnt even do the 'live long and prosper' hand gesture right

Its genetic, alot of people can't do it.

I'd have to call shenanigans on that. Maybe not have the muscle control to do that, but its possible. You can always use your other hand to get your gesture hand in position, so unless you have some massive deformation or compound fractures, its possible.
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Its like rolling your tounge, a lot of people cant physically do it. I can't hold the Vulcan thing, even if I use my other hand to put it in position when I let go my pinky moves away.