Survival Packing Lists
Here is my list. You Read it as though each progressively larger kit would contain all the things in the next smaller kit plus the additional items. That way you can categorize a "pocket" kit through a large pack kit.

Tiny
1. Swiss Army Knife
2. Lighter
3. Compass
4. Maps
5. Iodine Tablets
6. Vitamins
7. Water Cup
8. Buck Knife
Small
9. Head Lamp
10. Hatchet
11. Binoculars
12. Hand Sanitizer
13. First Aid Kit (Small)
14. Vile of Bleach
15. Vile of rubbing alcohol
16. Striker Kit
17. GPS
18. Cell Phone
19. Hand Kerchief
20. Leatherman Tool
Medium
21. Air Masks
22. Water Filter
23. Extra Iodine Tablets (Large bottle)
24. Water Pouches
25. Water proof tape and glue kit to repair pouches
26. Extra Filters
27. Plant Book and local wild food sources
28. Farming Book and Planting foods and methods
29. Army Survival Guide
30. Seeds
31. Salt
32. Quick Dry Towel
33. Multi tool
34. Extra Flashlight (D batteries)
35. Extra Matches
36. Shake Light
37. Crank Radio
38. Hand Held Radio
39. 25 mile Small Radio
40. Small Tarp or Mat
41. Big Binoculars
Large
42. 2nd Hatchet
43. Small shovel
44. Extra String and Rope
45. Tarp
46. Larger Water Containers
47. Larger bottle of Vitamins
48. Larger bottle of Iodine Tablets
49. Quart of Bleach
50. Pint of Rubbing Alcohol
51. Night Vision
52. Larger maps
53. Thermometer
54. Extra lighter
55. Big Box of Matches
56. Saw
57. Extra Hatchet
58. Extra Knife
59. Pack
60. Sleeping Bag
61. Tent
62. Larger Tarp
63. Quick Dry cloths, Jacket, Hat, Gloves, Blanket/Poncho, Long Underwear, Bathing suit (quick dry, for all members of )
64. Change of Cloths
65. Emergency food, MREs, Canned and packaged food as needed
66. Cloths Line and Anchor
67. Pot
68. micro Stove
69. Cups
70. Utensils

After this, I have a car kit and house kit which contain more and larger items for longer duration survival.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
These seem cool for home water storage:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/WaterBrick-Container-Gallon-Portable-Stackable/dp/B0053GVRWQ/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A2GSQJ3KFAH8PP">http://www.amazon.com/WaterBrick-Contai ... QJ3KFAH8PP</a><!-- m -->

(If you actually want some, search for "Waterbrick". There are some 4, 8 and 10 packs that are cheaper per container.)

I bought a couple of these:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Hydroller-Wheeled-Container/dp/B001QC78GK/ref=cm_cr-mr-title">http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products ... r-mr-title</a><!-- m -->

They're pretty good. Basic, rollable water storage. Really everyone should have something like this even if the only thing it saves you from is the inconvenience of going to the store to buy water during a water main break.

Long term food storage:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Can-Chili-Mac/dp/B000M7SY0Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1339748081&sr=1-6">http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Ca ... 081&sr=1-6</a><!-- m -->

Dehydrated food in a can that can sit in your basement for 25 years. They have boxes of assorted single-serving packs you can buy, too, so you can try some without having to crack open a whole can. The single serving packs are also great for backpacking, even if you don't go very often -- they're good for 5 years. (The cans are too bulky for backpacking.) I've tried a number of the packs and they're all surprisingly good. (Except the pre-cooked eggs. I hear there's dehydrated raw eggs you can get that turns into a batter you can cook, and I hear those are great, but I've never seen any for sale.)
Water storage is good, but you need to filter your water as well. I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter at 50$-60$ ( <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=katadyn+hiker&hl=en">https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop& ... iker&hl=en</a><!-- m --> ) for personal use and in my bob. I also keep Katadyn MicroPur Tablets at 15$ or so( <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=katadyn+micropur&hl=en">https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop& ... opur&hl=en</a><!-- m --> ) and some bleach around as well for back up encase the filter goes down.

Mountain House Meals are small, I'd say fairly tasty and have a long shelf life. The downside of them is that they take water to cook, which can get taxing on your water supplies should you not have a reliable source (hand pumped well, creek/stream or other such things). So keep that in mind.

Edit: May as well list my bob as well eh? Keep in mind this is just a simple bob, not my INCH bag. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but this will give you a general Idea.

food:
three MRE
two 3 day ER bar 3600 cal (One is with EDC other is with bob)
four grainola bars (Two are with EDC other two are with bob)
candy
one bag jerky
msr Miox water system
ketadyne water purifier
water treatment tabs
filter straw (verry small)

Weapons:
1 rifle 6.5 grendel 2 spare mags one loaded in the rifle, 200 rds ammo
1 Ruger p97 3 mags, 100 rounds ammo
1 cold steel (gurka)
1 benchmade tanto style folding auto knife (prisidio)
1 gerber steadfast knife

shelter:
1 two man tent by coleman
1 lrg 10x10 tarp
rain suits one for each (One is with EDC other is with bob)
poncho 1 for each (One is with EDC other is with bob)

clothing:
1 change of clothing each (One is with EDC other is with bob)
1 warm weather hat
1 cold weather hat
2 sets gloves (One is with EDC other is with bob)
extra socks
1 insect proof headnet for each (One is with EDC other is with bob)
1 coat
boots

communications:
1 yeasus xr-5 handheald ham radio
1 set uniden radios, one for me, one for my brother or whomever
2 cell phones ,one each (One is with EDC other is with bob)
2 prepaid phone cards $50.00 each (One is with EDC other is with bob)

navigation:
2 maps of the immidiate erea and of the state (One is with EDC other is with bob)
2 compases one each (one is with EDC other is with bob)
GPS system

Fire:
strike force fire starter
matches waterproof in match safe x 2
3 bick lighters (One is with EDC other two are with bob)
emergency stove and heating tabs

misc:
bolt cutters
several folding knives and multitool
handcuffs
small entrenching tool
knife sharpener
2 wind up flashlights
carabeners 2
paracoard ,two 500 ft sections
1 roll of duct tape
2 10' cards of duct tape (One is with EDC other is in my wallet)
gas mask with extra filter
10 cr123 bateries for lights
5 snap lights
pocket chain saw
fishing tackle tin
gerber wyoming saw
hatchet
mess kit
tooth brush and paste
Knife
compass
map
small tarp 8x8
50 feet paracord wrapped over chemlights.
4 sets of green 12 hour chemlights

money- each: (One is with EDC other is with bob)
five -20.00
five- 10.00
five - 5.00
twenty - 1.00
twenty -quarters

first aid:
Home made first aid kit
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
― Heraclitus
I have this stove:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BBGQ7O/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i01">http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BB ... 03_s01_i01</a><!-- m -->

I picked that one because it can take 3 different fuels: white gas, kerosene and unleaded auto fuel, and it's very light-weight. You just have to change the nozzle. (I like that it takes unleaded gas. Not for use in enclosed spaces...)

I have this for filtering water:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZ6XXA/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00">http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZ ... 04_s00_i00</a><!-- m -->

Platypus system... put the dirty water in one bag and use the other for the clean water (they are labeled as such) and then hang em up somewhere to filter though. I replaced the in-line filter with a better one (0.1 microns iirc) but it's not in my purchasing history and I don't feel like digging it out. :-p
Slamz Wrote:I have this stove:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BBGQ7O/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i01">http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BB ... 03_s01_i01</a><!-- m -->

I picked that one because it can take 3 different fuels: white gas, kerosene and unleaded auto fuel, and it's very light-weight. You just have to change the nozzle. (I like that it takes unleaded gas. Not for use in enclosed spaces...)

I have this for filtering water:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZ6XXA/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00">http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HZ ... 04_s00_i00</a><!-- m -->

Platypus system... put the dirty water in one bag and use the other for the clean water (they are labeled as such) and then hang em up somewhere to filter though. I replaced the in-line filter with a better one (0.1 microns iirc) but it's not in my purchasing history and I don't feel like digging it out. :-p

What about for water storage after filtering it? It looks like it only has a single track zipper and would leak fairly badly.

Nice choice in a stove, though it is a bit noisy.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
― Heraclitus
It's a pretty sturdy double zipper that I've never had a problem with. Makes it easy to clean the bags and the makes it quick to fill the "dirty" one. You could use the Platypus Hoser for the clean side, though. Sealed bag with a twist cap and a drinking nozzle. There's also big 4-liter and 6-liter Platypus "tanks" (bags) you can get. Handy because they roll up and store nicely and you could filter all the water you could possibly need for the night and morning.

I like the Platypus bags because they don't slosh around (you're just compressing them down as you take the water out) and since they're all clear, you can get some extra water purification from UV rays.

Oh, here's the inline filter I got:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-SP121-Drink-Inline-Filter/dp/B001C4C7KE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339969731&sr=8-1">http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-SP121-Drin ... 731&sr=8-1</a><!-- m -->

"One million gallons guaranteed". According to the instructions if you just back-flow it now and then it'll last about forever -- filter your water then flip it around and let some of your filtered water back through to the dirty side and you're good.
Goldor Wrote:Weapons:
1 rifle 6.5 grendel 2 spare mags one loaded in the rifle, 200 rds ammo

I googled that rifle and at first glance it looks like a reliable and accurate rifle, but my only concern in a future bad/non existent world is that the caliber bullet would have you looking for another rifle after 200 rounds.

If I were to pick a caliber it would probably be the .308 or a 30/30. With my preference being the .308, but where I live 30/30s are the common rifle that everyone has. I will be able to re-stock at pretty much anyone's home. I wouldn't underestimate the .22 rifle, either. A well placed shot that is relatively quiet in the world of firearms can kill food or enemies without notifying the 'neighbors' that you are in the neighborhood. A Ruger 10/22 with a 25 round clip is accurate and reliable and has plenty of on-hand capacity in case that well placed shot needs another insurance shot.

Unless I am totally misconstruing this survival list, I think for the long term the common caliber is a must have item.
That's pretty nifty, I'll probably pick one up next time I have some extra cash laying around. (The inline filter)

Right, it just doesn't look like it has a double zipper from the pictures xD. Have you tried caring water in your bag in those containers?

I also have a kit to convert it to .223 easily, takes about 3 minutes and I'm good to go. I've tested it out a few times and fired it right afterwords, works like a charm. This is also for a BoB not a INCH (I'm never coming home) bag as well. For the INCH bag I use two rifles, a Ruger 10/22 and a Remington 700. There is nothing quite like a .22 where you can carry a 500 block of ammo in the same space as two magazines of most other ammo for a rifle. I've brought down a 90 lb deer in a single shot at almost 100 yards with my .22, they are nice.
― Heraclitus
Why would you shoot at deer with a 22?
Uncle Shags Wrote:Why would you shoot at deer with a 22?

To eat, there have been times when we didn't have any food nor money to buy it. Go out and bag a deer with the .22 and have food for a couple of months.
― Heraclitus
I think the question was in reference to the legality and ethics of using a .22 to go deer hunting.
Of course, if you're talking about a severe disaster scenario then I guess you hunt deer with whatever's on hand. Or basically just go "hunting" and shoot whatever you see first that looks to be worth shooting. If you HAVE a larger caliber you'd probably want to use that if only because you don't want to shoot the deer and have it live and escape.

I'm not entirely sure why 22's are illegal, from an ethical standpoint, considering bows and crossbows are legal. I wonder what the kill power comparison is between a 22 and a low end bow... Maybe I'm just underestimating bows. Rambo's bows seemed pretty effective.

I say shotguns are the way to go, though. Between slugs and various size shot, including birdshot, you can hunt anything. You could even get different barrels for different situations -- short, long, rifled...

Regarding the inline filter, the directions actually say to test the bag zipper by turning it upside down to "check for leaks", so it is meant to be waterproof. Generally though I either store it flat or zipper-side-up anyway. I dunno how much I would trust putting pressure on it. But I do fill it up and turn it upside down and give it a shake or two to make sure it's sealed properly and I haven't had any problems.
Jakensama Wrote:I think the question was in reference to the legality and ethics of using a .22 to go deer hunting.

Depends on where you are for the law, and letting one's family die from starvation is always wrong.

Shotguns are nice, but the multi-use, weight vs. durability, and calculation of expected use are better for ME in the situation I would find my self in to go with a .22 over a shotgun, especially considering the amount of room ammo takes up when talking about a shotgun.

So do take a separate holding container when you go camping/hiking/for a BoB? Perhaps just pick up a 3 liter camelback just to hold your filtered water for when you need to take it with you, also what ever your using as a canteen (perhaps a Nalgene Collapsible Canteen) so that you don't have to worry about putting pressure on it as much.
― Heraclitus
I use the "Platypus Hoser" for a canteen -- basically the same thing as that "clean" bag but no zipper and it comes with a drinking tube. They come in all sorts of sizes. You can get up to 3L. I've seen people get the big ones and just strap it to the top of their pack. I have smaller ones that can go in the side pockets of my pack. All the Platypus stuff is interchangable (at least so far as I've seen) so you can pretty well buy whatever bags and tubes you like and swap them however you want.

I've looked at the camelback type bladders you can wear (Platypus makes those too) but I've never tried one. Are you supposed to wear it under your regular pack? Or it straps to the back? I think I've seen backpacks that have a spot for these "hydration systems" built in but mine doesn't so it's always a question of where I'm going to put things.
Slamz Wrote:I use the "Platypus Hoser" for a canteen -- basically the same thing as that "clean" bag but no zipper and it comes with a drinking tube. They come in all sorts of sizes. You can get up to 3L. I've seen people get the big ones and just strap it to the top of their pack. I have smaller ones that can go in the side pockets of my pack. All the Platypus stuff is interchangable (at least so far as I've seen) so you can pretty well buy whatever bags and tubes you like and swap them however you want.

I've looked at the camelback type bladders you can wear (Platypus makes those too) but I've never tried one. Are you supposed to wear it under your regular pack? Or it straps to the back? I think I've seen backpacks that have a spot for these "hydration systems" built in but mine doesn't so it's always a question of where I'm going to put things.

I generally have a spot to toss mine in my packs, it's one of the things that I look for. You can also get a camelback carrier (I say camelback because that is what I use, plenty of other choices out there that work just as well) and just wear it underneath the pack with little to no problems. Attaching it to the pack is also a possibility if you want to do that instead and still have it easily assessable. Your Hoser should work fine, was just wondering what you had other than the ziplock bags for water storage ;0).
― Heraclitus
Slamz Wrote:I'm not entirely sure why 22's are illegal, from an ethical standpoint, considering bows and crossbows are legal. I wonder what the kill power comparison is between a 22 and a low end bow... Maybe I'm just underestimating bows. Rambo's bows seemed pretty effective.
I think it's because the .22lr is a small bullet pushed at low velocities. Can it kill? Sure, but the risk of wounding and never finding the deer is much higher. The .223, for instance, which is at the low end of what is legal has ten times the energy at 100 yds compared to the .22lr (>1000ft/lb vs. <100ft/lb).

I don't bow hunt, but my brother does and I've talked to him a lot about it. My impression is that bow hunting "works" because you're basically sending several inches of super sharp razor blades in and out of the deer, through both lungs, which causes it to bleed to death in seconds. There is little noise, little energy impact, and the deer often doesn't even know the hunter is there, so adrenaline, fear and blunt force trauma are out of the equation. The deer usually trots away a bit then lays down and "falls to sleep".