Huntin', shootin', fishin'
I decided to make a forum just for "survival talk" and outdoor stuff in general. I find a lot of this to be good info I might want at some point so this will make it easier to keep track of.

P.S. Oh, so that's what "Enable Post Icons" does...
I volunteer to moderate this forum.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
Anyone here get a chance to enjoy deep sea fishing? I'm planning a trip for my birthday here soon, I haven't completely decided where/how long I'm going but I'm thinking an overnight trip out to the Coronado islands might be fun. I love catching yellowtail but depending on what the counts look like there might be an opportunity to go for some real tuna. A freezer full of fish for summer bbq's is a great thing to have. Smile
dilznic Wrote:Anyone here get a chance to enjoy deep sea fishing? I'm planning a trip for my birthday here soon, I haven't completely decided where/how long I'm going but I'm thinking an overnight trip out to the Coronado islands might be fun. I love catching yellowtail but depending on what the counts look like there might be an opportunity to go for some real tuna. A freezer full of fish for summer bbq's is a great thing to have. Smile

I've gone deep sea fishing quite a few times. The only thing I like more then Tuna is Mako (umm, Mako steaks). Do you ever do shark trips?
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Dustie Wrote:
dilznic Wrote:Anyone here get a chance to enjoy deep sea fishing? I'm planning a trip for my birthday here soon, I haven't completely decided where/how long I'm going but I'm thinking an overnight trip out to the Coronado islands might be fun. I love catching yellowtail but depending on what the counts look like there might be an opportunity to go for some real tuna. A freezer full of fish for summer bbq's is a great thing to have. Smile

I've gone deep sea fishing quite a few times. The only thing I like more then Tuna is Mako (umm, Mako steaks). Do you ever do shark trips?

I went once when I was a teenager with my Stepfather and his friends. It was out of the Chesapeake Bay. The only thing I caught were these little 1-2' sharks. We cut them up and used them as bait. The sea was very rough that day, I had a hard time keeping my lunch down.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

I've never done a shark fishing trip before, although I've heard they're pretty fun. Out here the shark boats leave around 9:30 or 10:00 at night and get you back to the docks early evening the next day. You get to strap into the seat and everything, they put up a hell of a fight.

I do half and 3/4 day trips pretty regularly down here. In Santa Barbara the channel is a pretty prime spot for rockfish and red snapper, we usually come back at or close to limits (10 fish) every trip. Rockfish make for some pretty good eating although they're one of the more boring fish to catch imo. Since they live a couple hundred of feet down, they put up a fight for the first minute or two and then decompression kills them and you reel them up to the surface.

In San Diego during the summer Yellowtail is my favorite target for the short trips, they come pretty close to shore so easily in range of the half-day boats. The ones ive seen range in size from 5-15lbs with some being significantly larger. They usually put up a decent fight and are absolutely delicious on the bbq. I keep seeing reports of albacore and bluefin tuna getting caught just out of range of the short boats though... catching a bluefin would be amazing but coming back with 20lbs of tuna filets would be great regardless of species.
This sounds awesome.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
I went shark fishing a long time ago in the Gulf. We were catching small little sharks and we'd throw their guts from cleaning them back in the water to attract more sharks. Give you an idea of just how tough one of these little bastards are.

We had caught one and had pinned it to a board with a nail through it's head. It didn't quit squirming enough for about 45 minutes before we could skin and clean him. We cut his heart out. Then we set it on the deck. It kept beating for an hour outside of the sharks body.

Tough little guys....

Bulgy
Bulgy Wrote:I went shark fishing a long time ago in the Gulf. We were catching small little sharks and we'd throw their guts from cleaning them back in the water to attract more sharks. Give you an idea of just how tough one of these little bastards are.

We had caught one and had pinned it to a board with a nail through it's head. It didn't quit squirming enough for about 45 minutes before we could skin and clean him. We cut his heart out. Then we set it on the deck. It kept beating for an hour outside of the sharks body.

Tough little guys....

Bulgy

Sounds fun.

I dream about doing that to liberals.

-Thomas Jefferson

I did a trip out of Plymouth harbor about 15 years ago. Three of us fished blues in the harbor during the morning and then headed out for shark fishing in the afternoon. The ocean was smooth as glass. Caught plenty of blues but no shark.
Pleasant trip back to port as we watched a pair of whales that swam with us most the way back.
I much prefer fishing Lake Ontario. Lake trout, salmon, walleye, bass.......some good eating.
I would just like to say that animals, birds and fish are our friends. One day we will all live in peace and harmony (obviously that day won't come while Thudz is still around, however...)
Ex SWG, L2, CoH, Wow, and War
Currently PvPing in the stock market
Grieve Wrote:I would just like to say that animals, birds and fish are our friends. One day we will all live in peace and harmony (obviously that day won't come while Thudz is still around, however...)

I completely agree, animals, birds, and fish are our friends and will live in peace and harmony whether that happens to be on land, in the sky, in the sea, or in my belly.
I think the Native Americans had it right.

You respect the land and the animals.

You still EAT them but you respect them in the process.
Grieve Wrote:I would just like to say that animals, birds and fish are our friends. One day we will all live in peace and harmony (obviously that day won't come while Thudz is still around, however...)

We shall live in pe____ace. We shall live in pe____ace. We shall live in pe_____ace, so__meday.

Everyone now!
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison