human powered vehicles
I had no clue that human powered vehicles were achieving these speeds:

Quote:In 2008, Sam Whittingham became the World Champion and won the $25,000 .Decimach prize with a speed of 82.33 mph.

[Image: land-s.jpg]

http://www.ihpva.org/land.htm

On water, there's a craft that went 21 mph on the surface. Submersibles are getting into the 12 mph range.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Energy is energy. Just because it's human powered doesn't mean it's free. Cool none the less.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
Thudz Wrote:Energy is energy. Just because it's human powered doesn't mean it's free. Cool none the less.

I'm not arguing for energy independence or anything here!

But seriously, 82 mph!? That's amazing.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Dustie Wrote:
Thudz Wrote:Energy is energy. Just because it's human powered doesn't mean it's free. Cool none the less.

Gears, it's all in the gears.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Thudz Wrote:
Dustie Wrote:

Gears, it's all in the gears.

That and reducing wind resistance
I CAN HAZ CHEEZEBURGR?
[should not have shot the dolphin]
That is really cool. I had no idea either. 82 MPH is crazy.

So if he was using this thing down the highway would he get a ticket?
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Vanraw Wrote:That is really cool. I had no idea either. 82 MPH is crazy.

I'm guessing he'd probably hit a pot hole and die before they would issue the ticket =)
Vanraw Wrote:That is really cool. I had no idea either. 82 MPH is crazy.

I'm almost positive the law applies to motor vehicles only. Probably a loophole but you could probably win in court.

-Thomas Jefferson

It would probably depend more on state law. Here in California, any person operating a vehicle on public roads, even a bicyclist, is expected to obey all traffic laws and signs. Bicyclists, in fact, can be cited if they are ridden as if they are pedestrians (on sidewalks, in crosswalks).
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
Moristans Wrote:It would probably depend more on state law. Here in California, any person operating a vehicle on public roads, even a bicyclist, is expected to obey all traffic laws and signs. Bicyclists, in fact, can be cited if they are ridden as if they are pedestrians (on sidewalks, in crosswalks).

I was addressing speeding specifically. Do bicyclists have to obey speed signs? I don't think anyone has ever challenged that.

-Thomas Jefferson

Affirmative. Cali bicycles must obey all traffic laws. You can even be cited with a DUI, with all the same penalties as any other vehicle covered by the CVC, for riding a bike intoxicated in Cali.

-Orsun
Moristans Wrote:Affirmative. Cali bicycles must obey all traffic laws. You can even be cited with a DUI, with all the same penalties as any other vehicle covered by the CVC, for riding a bike intoxicated in Cali.

Holy cow. Can you imagine the embarrassment of getting a DUI while riding a bike?!
Moristans Wrote:Affirmative. Cali bicycles must obey all traffic laws. You can even be cited with a DUI, with all the same penalties as any other vehicle covered by the CVC, for riding a bike intoxicated in Cali.

Every time I see bicyclists pick and choose which traffic laws they want to obey, I must resist the urge to run them over/off the road.
Yeah, but most bicyclists don't even know they are supposed to be obeying traffic laws. Hell, most motorists don't know bicyclists are supposed to be obeying traffic laws. I can't tell you how many times I've been on my bike in the left hand turn lane and was told to get back on to the sidewalk.

-Orsun
Flagstaff is a bike friendly town but I've had lots of friends get cited for DUIs while riding bikes. Sucks ass.
Caveatum & Blhurr D'Vizhun.
[Image: glarebear_av.gif]
[Image: sterb037.gif]
I had a buddy get a DUI riding a friends bike home from a party after choosing to leave his car there for the night. He was pretty pissed.
Dustie Wrote:Holy cow. Can you imagine the embarrassment of getting a DUI while riding a bike?!

If you get caught riding a bike drunk here you can get your drivers license revoked. Then to get it back you have to pay 10,000 euro or so and pass a psychological exam.
Jakensama Wrote:
Dustie Wrote:Holy cow. Can you imagine the embarrassment of getting a DUI while riding a bike?!

If you get caught riding a bike drunk here you can get your drivers license revoked. Then to get it back you have to pay 10,000 euro or so and pass a psychological exam.

If they legalized marjana and other non hardcore drugs they could severly increase the penalty to DUI's and free up over 50% of prison space, not to mention prevent the 'hardcorization' that occurs when non violent drug offenders have to survive in prison. With half of prison space freed up, we'd have room for drunk drivers that kill people usually dont see a day in prison.
If you kill someone while drunk you usually see prison time.

Agree with everything else though
I had forgot to mention that the reason I even looked into these human powered vehicles was that we just had the "International Sub Races" last week. I got the chance to be a support diver and under water camera man at the event. It was pretty cool. Some subs just sank whereas others really took off, much faster then I could swim with scuba gear on and a camera.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...wered-subs

http://www.wmtw.com/news/19873433/detail.html

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0609/63...=newsstory
Hmm you sure human powered vehicles aren't a step backwards rather than forward?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJuk81wv5uM">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJuk81wv5uM</a><!-- m -->

I wonder if wonder if Fred Flintstone will endorse these vehicles.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Zouji Wrote:Hmm you sure human powered vehicles aren't a step backwards rather than forward?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJuk81wv5uM">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJuk81wv5uM</a><!-- m -->

Well, Fred's car didn't go 82 mph =)
Dustie Wrote:
Zouji Wrote:Hmm you sure human powered vehicles aren't a step backwards rather than forward?

Well, Fred's car didn't go 82 mph =)

Yeah but it seated 4 plus a pet dino.

-Thomas Jefferson