July 20th 1969 Moon landing
Thudz Wrote:
Breand Wrote:Ask the same question but instead of Moon say Mars.

Mars has an atmosphere (with heavy winds and storms to go along with it) and more than twice the gravity of the moon. A moon landing and takeoff is a much simpler concept than Mars. Physics gets a lot easier in a vacuum.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU[/youtube]
I agree with Buzz Aldrin's viewpoint.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Dustie Wrote:See Slamz thread for the same answer I would give to that. My quick answer is that that is on of a thousand things that might be technically possible, but highly improbable in conjunction with all the other events.

We need a separate thread for Hoax-talk vs talking about this topic for the "believers" since I'm not really interested in convincing anyone this event occurred.

I am interested in hearing back on the view that the moon landing was basically a result of the development of ballistic missiles.

On the "Non-hoax topic". If you haven't read Moon Shoot then you should really read it. It was written by Deke Slayton and Alan Shepard. Both of those guys were in the original Mercury Space program. For those that know nothing about the US space program it went Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab, and then the Space Shuttle. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Shot-Inside-Story-Americas/dp/1570361673">http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Shot-Inside- ... 1570361673</a><!-- m -->

The real reason we were able to go to the moon was because of Dr. Wernher von Braun's Saturn V rocket. Without him and his team of German scientists we might not have even developed a space program to begin with. Moon Shot really puts into perspective how close we were to giving up the entire space race at several points. It also puts into perspective how close the Apollo XI was to not being able to land or even crashing into the moon.

Another fun fact I found out while watching, I think it was called, "History According to Walter Cronkite"; he said that CBS had a model of the moon landing that they showed simulating the landing; the simulated landing was shown while the actual moon landing occurred. But the simulated landing was shown 40 seconds before the actual landing occurred. While the lunar lander was in trouble and looking for an alternate site to land at the world was celebrating the lunar landing since everyone thought that the simulation was shown at the same time as the actual landing. He said that CBS and the world has conveniently forgotten about that footnote in history.
A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
HE'S QUICK, HE'S STRONG, HE'S ACTIVE!
You can take Alabama Man to the bowling alley, where he drinks heavily and chews tobacco!
HE CAN BOWL, HE CAN DRINK, HE CAN DRINK SOME MORE, ALA-BA-MA-MAN!
When wife asks him where he's been, just use the action button and Alabama Man busts her lip open!
"Shut up, Bitch!"
"Wow!"
BEATS HIS WIFE AND SLEEPS IT OFF, A-LA-BA-MA MAN!
Zouji Wrote:I agree with Buzz Aldrin's viewpoint.

Yea me too. An American hero being called a coward by some nerd who couldnt spell bravery. The rest of the crowd should have stood up and beat him till he was a bloody pulp.

But that's just my opinion.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]
Vanraw Wrote:
Zouji Wrote:I agree with Buzz Aldrin's viewpoint.

Yea me too. An American hero being called a coward by some nerd who couldnt spell bravery. The rest of the crowd should have stood up and beat him till he was a bloody pulp.

But that's just my opinion.

I agree. Except I would suggest just giving him a severe wedgy rather then beating him.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
wedgie while being given a swirlie!
GW2_Guardian
SWtOR_Marauder
WAR_White Lion_Iron Rock
Amins_WOW_Shaman_Crushridge
Aminion_DAOC_RM_Mid/Guin
Bnobo_Dark Ages_Monk/Rogue
Liars usually act out with aggression when they've been called out. Not saying Buzz ia a liar, just stating a fact.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
So do people who risk their life for their country and then are called cowards.
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

or non-patriotic.
GW2_Guardian
SWtOR_Marauder
WAR_White Lion_Iron Rock
Amins_WOW_Shaman_Crushridge
Aminion_DAOC_RM_Mid/Guin
Bnobo_Dark Ages_Monk/Rogue
Going up to Aldrin and telling him he didn't land on the moon is like going to an Iraq war veteran and telling him he didn't really fight in Iraq. I doubt many of them would calmly reply, "Oh but I did, really!" It'd be fist swingin' time.
amins Wrote:wedgie while being given a swirlie!

ahh, the swirlie. I've not seen one of those performed since my days as a Sigma Chi at Maryland. Ahh, those were the days.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Slamz Wrote:Going up to Aldrin and telling him he didn't land on the moon is like going to an Iraq war veteran and telling him he didn't really fight in Iraq. I doubt many of them would calmly reply, "Oh but I did, really!" It'd be fist swingin' time.

Normally when faced with wildly false accusations I tend to ignore them.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

I would gladly see some jail time if someone who knew about my service to this country then called me a coward and a liar. Their is a difference between wild accusations and a personal attack on ones character. Little boys in todays world have forgotten that between 5000 years ago up until about a few decades ago when you questioned a mans honor you took your life in your hands.

That punch tells me everything I need to know about Buzz. He is a man to admire.

Vllad
Vllad Wrote:I would gladly see some jail time if someone who knew about my service to this country then called me a coward and a liar. Their is a difference between wild accusations and a personal attack on ones character. Little boys in todays world have forgotten that between 5000 years ago up until about a few decades ago when you questioned a mans honor you took your life in your hands.

That punch tells me everything I need to know about Buzz. He is a man to admire.

Vllad

Back in the day I'd probably think so as well. Today however is a different story. My honor is not worth going to jail for and douchebags don't deserve the time of day.

-Thomas Jefferson

That just goes to show that every mans breaking point is different. I would go the Buzz route you would not.

That just shows you can't tell based on that whether a man is defending a lie or his honor.

Vllad
Vllad Wrote:That just goes to show that every mans breaking point is different. I would go the Buzz route you would not.

That just shows you can't tell based on that whether a man is defending a lie or his honor.

Vllad

Vllad, remember that you're talking to someone who put a butter knife to my head in extreme anger during a disagreement over some political or financial issue. Don't be fooled by the cool hand Luke you're talking to above. Thudz is a hot blooded Irishman.
Dustie Wrote:
Vllad Wrote:That just goes to show that every mans breaking point is different. I would go the Buzz route you would not.

Vllad

Vllad, remember that you're talking to someone who put a butter knife to my head in extreme anger during a disagreement over some political or financial issue. Don't be fooled by the cool hand Luke you're talking to above. Thudz is a hot blooded Irishman.

I'm thinking about joining that offline PK group that is going to get you during your Florida dive trip.

-Thomas Jefferson

Without reading this all.... One, 1969 wasnt the last manned moon landing. 12 people have walked on the moon....
Dustie Wrote:Thudz is a hot blooded Irishman.

I knew he was Irish with out ever actually being told. It takes an Irishmen to understand one. Just ask Sigmund Freud, he couldn't figure us out either.

Vllad
Vllad Wrote:
Dustie Wrote:Thudz is a hot blooded Irishman.

I knew he was Irish with out ever actually being told. It takes an Irishmen to understand one. Just ask Sigmund Freud, he couldn't figure us out either.

Vllad

I guess I could wiki it, but can you just tell me what Freud said about Irishmen?

(I'm half Irish too)
Dustie Wrote:I guess I could wiki it, but can you just tell me what Freud said about Irishmen?

(I'm half Irish too)

Said Freud to the empty couch. "Fucking Irish".
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

--Gandhi

American 'moon rock' from Apollo mission actually just petrified wood

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://idle.slashdot.org/story/09/08/28/143242/Treasured-Moon-Rock-Is-Petrified-Wood?art_pos=32">http://idle.slashdot.org/story/09/08/28 ... art_pos=32</a><!-- m -->
[should not have shot the dolphin]
Diggles Wrote:American 'moon rock' from Apollo mission actually just petrified wood

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://idle.slashdot.org/story/09/08/28/143242/Treasured-Moon-Rock-Is-Petrified-Wood?art_pos=32">http://idle.slashdot.org/story/09/08/28 ... art_pos=32</a><!-- m -->

All that proves is the moon has trees.

-Thomas Jefferson