Help from our friends to the north
My roommate has a visitor coming to stay with us...and he's Canadian. Although I'm technically not the host, since he's staying in the condo I'm paying the mortage on, I feel I should make some effort to make him feel as much at home as possible. I've never housed a Canadian before so I need some assistance on the care and feeding of a Canadian.

My roommate has already stocked the refrigerator with a case of Molsen so I think we are off to a good start. So:

What are the dietary requirements of a Canadian?
What should I set the thermostat to in order to make the environment as close as possible to his natural habitat?
I have a futon for him to sleep on. Do I need to put down sawdust, or newspaper, or anything like that?
How many times a day should he be walked?
Will the sirens from all the firetrucks fighting the LA fires make him howl? My neighbors are nice, but their tolerance has limits.

He's from Edmonton if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Moristans: err

What the f*** Skelas - I know this is NSFW, but I coudn't watch this at work...

-Orsun
First and foremost... he's from Edmonton, just north of Calgary (so like, 10hrs because canada's so F'KN HUGE...no not really, like 2.5hrs), which means... he's a redneck. Alberta = Texas, which means he'll only have a carnivourous diet... and it better be AAA beef, cuz thier shit is good!

Stay away from Arts & Culture venues, they don't believe in that crap. Keep em away from anything that might radically change thier views, IE Thudz/Slamz to Obamacare... keep it simple, keep it safe...

Oddly enough, they're pretty easy going about temperature... jsut stay away from vegas: too dry, too hot! Or, just give em a camel pak to carry around.

As for storage and recreation... futon should be ok, however, put some paper under it... jic. As for walks, it's summer (to them still) so they need to be out as much as possible, cuz come Oct/Nov, it gets dark at 2pm and no one goes outside due to excessive cold and snow: thus the reason why every albertian is profecient at igloo making, you never know when you might get stuck outside.

Fire & Sirens might be aproblem... I'm not sure they know what fire is yet.
GW2_Guardian
SWtOR_Marauder
WAR_White Lion_Iron Rock
Amins_WOW_Shaman_Crushridge
Aminion_DAOC_RM_Mid/Guin
Bnobo_Dark Ages_Monk/Rogue
amins Wrote:Alberta = Texas,

Alberta is an economic powerhouse that is far better than the rest of it's country?
W/o question.

EDIT: when it comes to the economy. lol! Though, they're still rednecks & neanderthals. :mrgreen:
GW2_Guardian
SWtOR_Marauder
WAR_White Lion_Iron Rock
Aminion_DAOC_RM_Mid/Guin
My advice: Rent the movie "Strange Brew" and watch it before they come.
"Hamilton is really a Colossus to the anti republican party. Without numbers he is an host within himself. They have got themselves into a defile where they might be finished but too much security on the republican part will give time to his talents and indefatigableness to extricate them. We have had only middling performances to oppose to him. In truth when he comes forward there is nobody but yourself who can meet him. His adversaries having begun the attack he has the advantage of answering them and remains unanswered himself. For God's sake take up your pen and give a fundamental reply to Curtius and Camillas" - Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
And if you can't get the calling right, dun worry, have some more lucky.
GW2_Guardian
SWtOR_Marauder
WAR_White Lion_Iron Rock
Aminion_DAOC_RM_Mid/Guin
Get Poutine!
ESO - Rallick of Purge (Sorceror) - The Purge (and various others)
RIFT - Rallock (Cleric) - Virus (Deepwood)
WAR - Rallick (ArchMage) - The Purge
WoW - Rallick/Mootendo - The Purge
EQ - Nintelten <Defiant>
Lol

Thanks for the advice gents! I knew I could count on you.

In all seriousness, he's a grad student at the U of Alberta and really cool guy. My roomie met him on an Earthwatch trip where teachers get to go to some God forsaken wasteland to help researchers with their work. Most definitely has enough Canadianisms to pick up that he's not from around these here parts, but his dad lives in San Diego, so he's been to Cali enough times to know in which direction the I-5 runs.

-Orsun
3 things MOST canadians I've met, havne't eaten.

1) Chicken n DumplingS! mmmmmmm
2) Grits
3) Biscuts n Gravy.

MmMmm MmmM Southern food.
GW2_Guardian
SWtOR_Marauder
WAR_White Lion_Iron Rock
Aminion_DAOC_RM_Mid/Guin
What about some proper chili cheese fries? I'm not sure any culture that likes poutine could have possibly ever had some good chili cheese fries.

On the other hand, maybe it's best to stick with Canadian food, as otherwise he may become so enamored with America that you'll never get him to go back home.
Slamz Wrote:What about some proper chili cheese fries? I'm not sure any culture that likes poutine could have possibly ever had some good chili cheese fries.

On the other hand, maybe it's best to stick with Canadian food, as otherwise he may become so enamored with America that you'll never get him to go back home.

I think you'd really like the NY version of Poutine. Instead of cheese curd we use Motzarella and Turkey Gravy. They are damn good.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
-Thomas Jefferson

Spread my work ethic not my wealth.
Amins had good advice based on the area of Canada your friend is from.

The Canadians I have met up here take their beer very seriously. Molsens = Canadian Budweiser. It is the staple of sports venues and draft beers. Brands like Mooseheads and Keiths are local choices with lots of flavour and many Canadians seem to enjoy. Plus they have a pretty big selection to pick from to help you find something you like. He will also probably be interested in trying some of the other US brands you can't find in Canada. Either way, take him beer shopping and become buds for life hehe. For extra points, blow his mind by taking him to a gas station or grocery store for a beer run late at night. Something they can't enjoy up here.

This whole thread makes me laugh. Mori you are great guy for taking the time to make him feel at home. Props for that. But as I read this thread, I can't help but picture the "Canadian" as being some 3rd world kid you just adopted from a tribe of natives.
Game Tags
Skaag/Iceheart
Skaag51, Xbox Live
Skaag555, Steam ID
Since I am from Lloydminster, 2 hours east from Edmonton, I will elaborate on the ethnic foods I eat.
In the summer it is nothing but grilling. Hamburgers, smokies, steaks. I am unafraid to try new foods. So go ahead and feed that silly Canuck anything that you would eat.

As far as beer goes, there are a heck of a lot of Kokanee drinkers, or Coors light drinkers in my area. Generally, if it is a cold beer, we will drink it.

Make sure his windows are closed at night so he won't be bothered with the sirens of the firetrucks.

Btw, Moristans you are one funny mofo. I had a good chuckle.
Kakarat Keys ~ Thief ~ Guild Wars 2
Kakarat ~ Shaman ~ WoW ~
Kakarat ~ Witch Hunter ~ WAR:AoR
Riona ~ Knight of the Blazing Sun ~ WAR:AoR
Kakarat ~ Swashbuckler ~ EQ2 ~ Venekor
Eef Eigten[F-18]~ 60 Aracoix Rogue ~ Shadowbane
Kakarat ~ 60 Ogre Warrior ~ EQ ~ VZ
Quote:What about some proper chili cheese fries?

Dinner at Disneyland was a Chili Cheese dog. He had Korean BBQ last night. We both have reached the same conclusion: Korean BBQ is tasty, but way too much work.

Quote:The Canadians I have met up here take their beer very seriously.

No kidding. He brought my roomie a sixer of Traditional Ale from Big Rock Brewery in Alberta. There's a nice essay on the back label of each bottle about the Reinsheitgebot.

Quote:He will also probably be interested in trying some of the other US brands you can't find in Canada.

His first night in town, we took him down to the House of Blues in Hollwood to see a buddy's band. I bought him a Blue Moon ale and he asked if they come in pints. He was also puzzled when the bartender had trouble pouring a suds free glass from a bottle. He's visited the U.S., and Cali a fair bit so he knows what he likes.

Quote:This whole thread makes me laugh. Mori you are great guy for taking the time to make him feel at home. Props for that. But as I read this thread, I can't help but picture the "Canadian" as being some 3rd world kid you just adopted from a tribe of natives.

Yeah, I sincerley apologize to our friends from the north if they feel offended.

I haven't asked him about poutine yet, but I swear I must have asked him about every other Canadian thing that's ever come up in any of our threads to the point of feeling the neccesity to apologize for treating him like a visitor from another planet. He's about as laid back an easy going a guy as any I've ever met though. I told my roomie that if she wasn't going to do him, I would. Confusedhock:

-Orsun
Quote:Btw, Moristans you are one funny mofo. I had a good chuckle.

Thanks Kak. Glad you had a good chuckle. :wink:

-Orsun
Oh, btw, the most Canadian thing I've heard so far, besides the standard "aboot":

"My dad could sell ice to an Inuit"

-Orsun
Moristans Wrote:There's a nice essay on the back label of each bottle about the Reinsheitgebot.
:

Which translates into english as "Lets make sure all our bear tastes practically identical"
Thudz Wrote:
Slamz Wrote:What about some proper chili cheese fries? I'm not sure any culture that likes poutine could have possibly ever had some good chili cheese fries.

I think you'd really like the NY version of Poutine. Instead of cheese curd we use Motzarella and Turkey Gravy. They are damn good.

And that my friends are Disco Fries.
Maranatha!

Maranatha\Amarantha\Dolmori\Helojoki

Riz says, "That's made of pure bacon and win!"
So, my roommate just got home from putting our Canadian visitor on the plane back to Alberta. He managed to find a flight back from LAX for $100 USD, thus extending his visit an additional 5 days.

I tried implementing as many of the suggestions from this thread as I could. Despite that, he seemed to have a great time. Tongue

I'll tell you, he was one of the nicest, funniest guys I've met in a long time. Nothing seemed to phase him and, I swear, I could have served up deep fried shit on a stick and he wouldn't have complained. Ended his visit with some shabu shabu at Hollywood and Highland, and a trip to Joshua Tree, which was heaven to a rock climbing junkie.

Thanks guys!

-Orsun
Do you say "eh" now?
Maul, the Bashing Shamie

"If you want to change the world, be that change."
--Gandhi

[Image: maull2.gif]